Tips to writing a good fighting scene

Discussion in 'Author Discussions' started by Sutad Aatma, Jul 18, 2021.

1. Sutad Aatma

Sutad Aatma Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As the title says ^^^
    To add, how do you write good fighting skills when you have the level of a 2 year old child when it comes to brawls
    The only thing I am good at is dodging because of random objects being thrown at me:blobhero:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
    Deleted member 369806 likes this.
  2. deepon

deepon One who inevitably awakens

Reading List:
    Link
    1) clarity - reader should be able to tell exactly what is going on, without going into lengthy detail. You don't have to write every detail, but sufficient or bare minimum details to convey who is doing what.
    2) continuity - don't omit any action or the sequence can get confusing.
    3) the 5W rule - who, what, when, where, why. How is optional. Try to include at least 3-4 of the above details. E.g don't just write Jack kicked him. At least mention where jack kicked him or what kind of kick it was, since certain techniques are self explanatory.
    4) consequence - Write the effect or consequence of the action/move. Wether the other side dodged, or blocked, the damage etc.

3. animanaicT

animanaicT Nobody Important

Reading List:
    Link
    You watch youtube?

chrissy987 likes this.
  4. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    there 2 type

build the tense before fight end up on flash usually just one hit

continues fight scene~

the later is more popular

oh well better use available story but this cat don't wanna give ya novel title.... too lazy~
    watch action movie that not rely on shaking camera or slow motion then go try write the scene
    John Wick, The Raid, Rurouni Kenshin, War of Arrows, anything that have Jackie Chan fight.... yup Jackie chan fight despite have comedy on fighting scene it good reference for street fight aka brawl or one against many using environment to overcome challenge~ there jp movie but this cat forget it title... similarly a John Carpenter movie ah it Among Us perhaps

chrissy987 likes this.
  5. Sutad Aatma

Reading List:
    Link
    Hm I tried relying on watching fight scenes but...... I kinda want something more practical. I can't have everything like one-shot kill and I definitely don't want to be like Nano Machine where the MC basically wins all the fights by dodging in the blink of an eye and breaking bones left and right '-'

Any sources where I could study on how to describe sequence of fighting? I have watched a lot of fighting scenes, both animated, scripted and real. So when I imagine my characters fighting, I can formulate a sequence but I stumble at trying to describe the moves or on how to make them more fluid

6. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    depend on scene there one hit kill and there multiple one~ as for practical what kind of practical you mean? using deadly weapon killing can happen from one to just several hit~
    hmmm try practice more? write rewrite, the technical skill like report to make reader clear what happen~

Sutad Aatma likes this.
  7. Sutad Aatma

Reading List:
    Link
    first fighting scene will be cat and mouse chase where the main characters are being chased by skilled mercenaries
    i will aim to make it as unsettling as possible! :blob_ghost::cookie:
    let's start the grind:blobsnow::blobsnow: