tired of everbody obsesses over me genre

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by comeetomama, May 21, 2022.

?

what is your opinion? do you also feel the same way or still liking this type of thing?

1. feel the same way

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  2. still liking it

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. it depends on the story

8 vote(s)
    61.5%
  1. comeetomama

comeetomama used to called mommy now granny

Reading List:
    Link
    so i am a really old novel reader. I read tons of cliche stories and i dont have too much problem with over-used things.
    But this thing..
    Is seriously making me really mad. I started to hate kr novels because of this. Villains that killed me in my previous life are now obsessing over me, male lead that supposed to annul our engagement is now super possessive, my dad is obsessive, my brothers are obsessive, my butler is obsessive, everbody is super obsessive.

what do you think?

2. ExiledMage

ExiledMage Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don’t think I read this type of genre ever…

Dr_H_16 and otaku31 like this.
  3. comeetomama

Reading List:
    Link
    it was fun at first but became cringy quickly. at the beginning i didnt hate when the obsessing party was family (i dont read novels with obsessive or possessive leads) but now i hate it too. Never gonna read a novel like that ever again

4. Saphychan

Saphychan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't mind tropes and cliches so much as how they are executed.
    For instance, I can't stand harem novels, but I love Arifureta and Returnee. It's all about the execution.

As for the obsessive trope, for me it's about why they suddenly become obsessive. If its done reasonably, I'd probably read and re-read, but if everyone suddenly loves the MC for no good reason I'd be done with it.

So really, it depends on the story.

Absolutely abhore the 'I've ignored you even though you've always loved me, but now that you no longer love me I miss your attention BS.

CANNOT!

I see those stories and pass them by like they don't exist.

northerner and comeetomama like this.
  5. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Can't say I'm too fond of overly possessive characters either. I don't mind having multiple people in love with the MC, but when you have a bunch of overprotective characters that desperately try sheltering the MC against anything and everything... Then it starts getting annoying.

Karionte likes this.
  6. comeetomama

Reading List:
    Link
    CN bl novels filled with that type of shit. I hate the bird in the cage trope. As a person who values freedom over everything it disguses me

pls they were misunderstood poor souls who has sob sob backstories

7. Aachiin0914

Aachiin0914 ☼Sunnyshies☼

Reading List:
    Link
    JP novels like to use this type of cliche settings very much. And the villains are very much nothing but thrash, and they hated mc without any basis, or hated her because she was too old, or he was useless. But except for the villains, everyone loved her\him.

Anyway, kr novels wrote good dramas about these cliches very much. And they really noted very reliable and "make sense" stories why a character was overly obsessed with the heroine. They explored that one by one which was really good.

If you read jp shoujo manga/novel, you'll hate these cliche settings even more. Because their settings were much more exaggerated and happened without much reason, and if there is a reason the reason doesn;t have much weight in the real world.

Anyway, I also i agree with the others. It depends. there's a story that focuses with fl being doted upon by every body, but the story was actually about how fl came towards that point.

But what I hate in this kind of cliche plot was the fact that everyone was overly "obsessed with the mc". There's a mild and there's the overly dramatic kind of story.

Anyway, I only read action kr novels. I only read this kind of romance theme in webtoons. As long as the art is beautiful no matter what the genre is, I can endure it.

Karionte likes this.
  8. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    I honestly don't remember a single shoujo manga with obsessed characters in them... It's usually teen romance involving either a perfect male lead, or a ruthless male lead who is kind to the MC and only to the MC... >.>

Or well, at least for the mediocre stories. The well-written stories have actual characters instead of stereotypes in them... But well, I don't really remember seeing any shoujo manga with super obsessive leads and whatnot.

9. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't necessarily mind stories having obsessive characters, but it depends on how they are used.
    Some of the most ridiculous examples I've come across are ones where the mc has reincarnated as a child and literally half of the dialogue is spent on all the surrounding characters obsessing over how cute the mc is.
    Though I'm not even sure if they count as characters at that point if they are not allowed a chance to do anything else.

10. Blossom_Honey

Blossom_Honey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah I can’t read the young abused FL and dad stories because of this because most fall into this category. The characters take it too much to the extreme, their affection becomes so suffocating and cloying. Lol just reading the synopsis’ of these kinda stories gives me enough cringe to nope out of there. They all sound exactly the same, it’s like they copy pasted some master text and just edited the names and settings a bit to fit their story lol. There was this one that was the typical abused FL gets saved by ML yadda yadda... and there was this one scene where his siblings teased FL in good nature about her crush on ML (they were official at this point) and he straight up put them onto manual labour for “making her uncomfortable”...??? Just dropped it at that point. Oh and don’t get me started on those childcaring novels where the ML and child start competing for FL’s affection like what’s up with that? That’s not cute, that’s nasty man, can’t the kid have a good relationship with their dad??

Depending and loving each other is fine, but there has to be breathing room and the affection can’t be too one sided, otherwise it’s too cloying (MC should also be reciprocating back a little in a positive relationship). Don’t make it a competition, and it shouldn’t be wrong or toeing the line for MC to care for other people, just give the family and others a personality beyond MC please.

Karionte and comeetomama like this.
  11. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, I remember reading some like that... With the maids fainting from nosebleed when seeing how cute the baby MC was when she smiled...

Agh... It was just sad, seriously.

12. Bachingchung

Bachingchung Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What do you expect? The MC became successful after reincarnation, ofc he'll attract everybody's greed and envy. I draw the line when the family members want to f*ck him/her too. Specially if it's a KN novel, there will always be that little sister, who's either sick or dying, but don't forget the perfect flawless skin and gorgeous face with no need of any beauty routine at all.

Karionte and comeetomama like this.
  13. Mr gentleman

Mr gentleman Ok

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol.....let me be honest I don't think there's a single male out there who read this kind of novel.... I can be wrong tho...and anyone is welcome to prove me so

comeetomama likes this.
  14. ShadowAscetic

ShadowAscetic Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    tbh i would read this kind of genre as long as it's written with logic. for example: MC is a cat and being obsessive over a cat is reasonable, right? it's the same like those people who follow cat accounts on socmed. And when the cat suddenly transform into human with cat ears and tail... well, that sounds pretty good...

comeetomama likes this.
  15. comeetomama

Reading List:
    Link
    as a cat slave i can proudly say that obsessing over your cat is pretty reasonable. And i love cat to human shifter stories. I generaly like animal to human shifter thing.

dont open the box you pandora. We dont mention pervert brocons or siscons here. Our thread is pure.

16. Aachiin0914

Aachiin0914 ☼Sunnyshies☼

Reading List:
    Link
    I dunno about novels, but I read many of such mangas. Some were cute, but the others were really annoying.

I forgot there titles since they were so long, but it's more common in fantasy base stories, and more so in otome game settings. Esp, if the villainess was reincarnated, reborn, or just transmigrated. One of it already has an anime, you know the one with a heroine who likes to plow the land, while creating her own harem without her knowledge. There's also one, I like this series be ause it's cite and the ml is really good, so I just ignored the lack of common sense in them, I forgot the title, but it was also an otome game setting, but in the prince pov. I think the title has "the observation" or something. It was the one with a heroine that proclaimed herself as a villainess. No one questioned her weirdness because she's cute. K

It's almost the same as kr stories, but more bland, if not much more exagerrated. Esp, jp love yandere very much, so they tend to make almost all blacl-bellied characters such possessive and controlling characters.

Blossom_Honey likes this.
  17. Accismus

Accismus Icarus

Reading List:
    Link
    Brocons (or as autocorrect says brocoli) sis cons, baby cons, son cons, daughter cons whatever the relationship con
    But it seriously depends on the book and plot.
    But if all mc had to do was reincarnate or transmigrate to get all that love and then there is no plot wise function of that love other than meaningless face slapping that's too boring to even read, yeah it's cringe.

Karionte likes this.
  18. MidstNost

MidstNost 【 Reigen's Saltshaker 】【 Lingtian Raider 】

Reading List:
    Link
    This is why I love Side Character Transmigrations and Coming of the Villain Boss alot because the MC always want to make the whole world her enemy lolol.

comeetomama likes this.
  19. Fluffums

Fluffums 【R-18 Researcher】【Seeker of Moe】

Reading List:
    Link
    There are also novels like that aimed at men. Like, The Girls Who Traumatized Me Are Glancing at Me, but I’m Afraid It’s Too Late.

I personally prefer when the story is told from the POV of the one who becomes obsessed, which is usually a guy taking care of a niece after her parents died or something like that. Or rather, when I was younger I'd read novels about a boy getting an extraordinary pet and everyone doting on it while struggling to raise it because no one knows what it is.

Either way, when done well the obsession can be a source of (motivation for) growth and a source of conflict. When done poorly it's just pouring a dump truck full of sugar down the readers' throat. I think when reading web novels, you're going to see more poorly-written than well-written versions of just about any trope you can imagine, so...

AliceShiki likes this.