Tiresome novel tropes

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Earliane, May 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earliane

Earliane Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey! It's time to rant!

Have you read a lot of novels? Ever noticed an overly used trope and found yourself tired of reading stuff like it?

I have and I am seriously tired of them. There are too few good novels that have a balanced novel setting, like actual in-depth character development or the proper use of common sense. Well, maybe because the novels I usually read are using extremity without control in their narratives. *coughcnnovelscough* :sweating_profusely:

On that note, I'd like to recommend Transmigrating into a Parvenu's Ex-wife, The Novel's Extra, and Omniscient Reader's Viewpoint. Though you might find some parts rather rushed (and effectively shallow), you might enjoy it. :aww:

2. ExcitableFoci

ExcitableFoci Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I dunno why but I feel triggered

[​IMG]

unclebebby, Arash1 and Earliane like this.
  3. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm generally tired of protagonists being the only capable people around, and humanity being generally worthless in post-apocalyptic scenarios. I'd like to read something in which humanity, as a whole, really stands up to adversity. Y'know, it's fine if the protagonist is the best or whatever, but I'd like for the rest of humanity to show they're better than they're generally portrayed. And I don't just mean a handful of decent side characters.

vlue, Fuyuneko, Ziavory and 3 others like this.
  4. lamb19

lamb19 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    • Cheating bf/fiance
    Just WHY?! I mean, you want to show how the mc was hurt? Great, but f*ck, be creative.
    • one nightstand with drugged ML.
    Just no. This is so wrong in so many levels... i don't see how this is romantic in anyway.

Tpst, TownsPersonB, ludagad and 3 others like this.
  5. lamb19

lamb19 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    +1 they always portray antagonist and canon fodders like scheming, jealous, stupid people. Like, make people complex with their own reasons for once. Mc isn't the only decent person neither the most intelligent.

6. Earliane

Reading List:
    Link
    Uhhh are you triggered in the sense that you want a debate or that we have something in common? :sweating_profusely:

7. Earliane

Reading List:
    Link
    Seriously so true, oh my.

8. Earliane

Reading List:
    Link
    IKR???

unclebebby likes this.
  9. lamb19

lamb19 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    And the mysterious case where they have a baby, always grow until 4/5 y.o, and recognize their father, so mom and dad get together and they live happy ever after.

Earliane, unclebebby and ludagad like this.
  10. lamb19

lamb19 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    And how the stepmother is always a gold digger. Why can't she be nice for once and the father be scum?

Fuyuneko, Ziavory, Lachaize and 2 others like this.
  11. lamb19

lamb19 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    And why always its the mother who dies of sickness, suicides or abandons the child? Think about it, there is almost no divorces and the mother its always absent while the father is negligent

Lachaize, Earliane and unclebebby like this.
  12. lamb19

lamb19 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    And i'm so tired of the overbearing, tyrant and stern ML.
    There are so many stereotypical types... why always focus on the same?

Ionliosite, Lachaize and Earliane like this.
  13. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Tropes aren't the problem it's how you use the trope. A lot of authors have bad habit of sticking in tropes without thinking if it makes sense.

For example, let us take a recent manga I read. MC is a guest of one of the powerful factions. The enemy raids the MCs house to find this single person the MC bought as a slave and took as a servant (They already killed this servants family and everything, killing him is more of like for kicks, you know how these xianxia are). If the author would have stepped back for 1 second, and say: "how about the servant goes on an errand and gets captured?". So everything is exactly the same, MC will still go save them but you just made your plot more solid. Instead it feels like the trope was stuck in there without any thought.

That is what triggers me, the author only needed 1 or 2 lines of script change to make their plot work more smoothly, but they don't even bother and just run with the trope without thinking the implications on their plot.

Otherwise, if the tropes are well adapted, I don't care if the novel is nothing but tropes.

Ionliosite, Achievemint, Tpst and 3 others like this.
  14. natsume142

natsume142 だが、断る

Reading List:
    Link
    tired of lame harem.. no plot or anything just plain bland harem coz the MC need some pussies or dicks.

Never like harem in the first place but bland harem are the worse (both reverse and normal harem)

Also tired of MC "accidentantly fought" with someone who are more i) Stronger ii) Richer iii) Influential iv) etc.

Ziavory and Earliane like this.
  15. DocB

DocB "I see you, little mouse! Run along"

Reading List:
    Link
    If you are not willing to rape your true love and spend the rest of your life in prison then it is not true love. After all if you don't do it, it means that your freedom is more important than be together with that person, and there most never be any more important than true love

whitespade and unclebebby like this.
  16. unclebebby

unclebebby Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I WANT TO COMPLAIN ABOUT AUCTION SCENES.

Almost every Chinese web novel has, at one point or another, something to do with auctions and it always feel boring and tiresome because it inevitably turns into a big dick show off contest. Every time I come across one in anything I get angry, I yell, and skip ahead or just not read that part at all, regardless of the importance to the story.

I had the same reaction to a kr manhwa (duchess with empty soul) that had a auction scene. Had the cn novels not burned me on it I don't think I would have reacted as violently.

vlue and Earliane like this.
  17. Suranchan

Suranchan ♥‿♥♥‿♥

Reading List:
    Link
    Revenge - where op's plan went very smoothly with 100% success
    and all antagonists were eradicated. Boring!

Lachaize and Earliane like this.
  18. firefox1234

firefox1234 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    School and tournament arcs, these overused settings are hotbeds for overused and tiresome novel tropes.

Earliane likes this.
  19. EnuoFH

EnuoFH Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This, also overuse of the same tropes... its not that you can't reuse them but come on most authors don't even try to make it different...

20. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    Revenge-themed second chance novels, seriously I don't care about the mc's drive for revenge if it is directed toward alternate timeline versions of the villains rather than the actual villains that had tormented the mc and might be getting a happily ever after life somewhere else.

Ionliosite and vlue like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.