Discussion TLers should be more appreciated and regarding the recent hate of slow translators

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by LysUltima, Oct 5, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mitre27

mitre27 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you care about the pace and think it's too slow, comment, if you don't care, don't comment, that's about it.

I think the community shouldn't be so black and white when it comes to poaching aswell, i think we should consider the pace and quality of the translation, my main frustration isn't actually with the slow translators but the community that has demonized someone picking up a novel that's already got a translator on it, regardless of speed and quality.

2. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean suggestion to the translator. And NU taking action regarding poaching was because of there was a case like that and it has negative impact for both of the translators. I don't know about the detail. @Parth37955 or @Westeller may know about it. I think that NU position is neutral before that case happened

3. mitre27

Reading List:
    Link
    NU should be completely neutral honestly, i mean the staff/admins/mods etc, the community ofcourse will never be neutral.

Honestly it is rare for for someone who is both quick and good quality to poach a novel, think the 3 month wait is overkill honestly, if you don't post for a month without notice, someone should be able to pick that novel up.

Tbh even if nothing changes that's also fine, my complaining about speed isn't due to me actually expecting results but it gives me a way to vent my annoyance, the main issue is the people who get super personal and offensive insulting the translator for their speed, i don't do that, i'll certainly beg for faster speed and complain that the speed isn't quick enough but i won't throw insults.

4. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    tbh, 3 month wait isn't the rule on NU

and here if you haven't read it yet
    http://forum.novelupdates.com/threads/translators-faq-rules-for-nu.49192/

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2017
    Shio likes this.
  5. krrizis

krrizis Runs Ainushi, Read18 & Chaleuria

Reading List:
    Link
    On the topic of demonizing, I'll say there's a lot more riding on that. There have been new translators popping up and wrestling a project from others through slanderous posts. I won't name them as it's such a ridiculous ordeal but there have been a fair few. (I mean really, who gives you the right to comment on the quality of someone else's translation or insist you had the rights to do the project first!? That's seriously maddening.) Many of whom have also opened NUF threads to rant about the "poachers" remarks and vice versa.

People don't talk. That's the bloody problem.
    Once you've add ego into the mix, then it becomes a recipe for disaster.

So yes, speed and quality aside, if people were less childish, perhaps we wouldn't have a lot of negativity towards "poaching". Sadly there are and most with good reason.

kenar likes this.
  6. mitre27

Reading List:
    Link
  7. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    3 months is more related to give the person time to settle their RL problems when they get in trouble than anything.

Like... I'm personally happy with any release pace, but I wouldn't really expect anyone to deliver 4 chapters/year...

Having 3 months to solve your problems is nice though.
    Yeah... Most changes on translator I have seen, that happened after talking, were all good overall.

krrizis likes this.
  8. mitre27

Reading List:
    Link

I can live with the 3 months if the person gives us a heads up sure, for example lord xue xing tler gave us a heads up of a hiatus, buy i'd say a 1 month unannounced break is enough otherwise.

9. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, there is no way for this to be controlled tbh... Like... It kind of makes sense to give a bigger leeway if the person gives a warning in advance, but it is pretty impossible to control it, so it's better to give more time than less.

10. SnowTime

SnowTime Busy Busy Busy, I Dug Too Many Holes

Reading List:
    Link
    <- Is a translator. A slow translator
    <- Trying to learn KR by apps so I can read KR novels
    <- Trying to learn JP by apps so I can read JP novels
    (Stares at piles of CN novels to tl.... I prefer reading as well)

<- Is uni student
    <- Computer Science New Media double major. I do want to graduate in 4 years, don't wanna waste time and money
    (Stares at pile of homework... me don't wanna)

Hobbies:
    Anime
    Plushie making
    Clay charm making
    Reading
    Sleeping
    The time for all of this has been severely cut x.x

<- Is eldest in family.
    <- Duty to take care of parents
    <- Also got younger siblings... so I have to succeed in life, failing is not an option~

<- Is M for for translating so many novels indeed, but they are good in my eyes so need to share the love
    <- Loves cliffhanging readers. What's wrong with being an S when I'm already being an M by laboring away. Need to balance it out by reading despair
    <- Comments are good ego boosts
    <- Does not mind nudges to update because I tend to not notice time passing. Usually I have a chapter of something out by a few days after someone crying to me about lack of updates....

I'm lacking sleep and nutrition nowadays
    Anymore to add? Right, my social life is dead so I'm worrying about my future prospects. I really need to study more...
    My best skill is always having a dead face even when I'm smiling so I tend to be avoid... orz Natural dead fish eyes...

Someone give me more tlers to join me /o/
    :sweating_profusely:

Wenhui, StuffedDuck and krrizis like this.
  11. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    *hugs tightly*

Ganbatte Snow-chan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >.<

You can do it! Don't give up!!!

12. SnowTime

Reading List:
    Link
    How about a novel that was dropped for a year with no one to pick it up until a year later a slow one picks it up.... would you like the slow one to drop it and wait for however long it will take for a fast one to finally appear...

13. RozenKristal

RozenKristal NUF gender bender Emperor -> Queen

Reading List:
    Link
    You need to clone yourself.

14. SnowTime

Reading List:
    Link
    My eyes are closing earlier each day.
    Someone, if there is a secret magician organization or something, invite me to it x.x I want some kind of op ability. Shadow clones and time turners seem so nice :blobwoah::blobReach:

15. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Please give me the formula for cloning! I desperately need a clone to do all of my responsibilities and... Wait... No! Double expenses wouldn't help! No cloning!!! >.<
    It is important to sleep well! \(^^)/

16. mitre27

Reading List:
    Link
    Either way i won't get to finish the novel, like i said, roll the dice, no place for super slow translators for chinese novels IMHO, they just have far too many chapters with tons of words.

17. SnowTime

Reading List:
    Link
    You gonna die so soon? Then rip you. I'm pretty sure I'm finishing all of my novels within the next ten years o3o my longest is a little under 800 chapters while I'm 14 chapters away from being done with my current novel~ it's 71 chapters kek. Long ones tend to be filler-y anyways.

My 71 chapters might as well be 100... all the later chapters are around 10k....

I gotta make sure I live long enough for VR full body dive man

I'm pretty sure a lot of us will finish our novels before detective Conan finishes.... 20 years and the ending is still kinda far last time I checked.... or has the status quo changed recently?

StuffedDuck likes this.
  18. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Teehee, good luck with it Snow-chan!!! *hugs tightly*

I hope you had fun reading until the end of it!!! ^^)/

19. Devshard

Devshard Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Twelve pages and not a single meaningful argument from either side. Sigh.

In the days before web novels, we used to wait a decade or two for an author to get around to finishing a series. Sometimes, the authors would die before they finish. Sometimes, the publisher would go out of business and no one else picked up that particular writer. Other times, the author would just get tired of writing in the same world for eight books and just stop. I've got crates of books in storage that are all from a series that never completed. But I digress.

No one really gives a shit about the pity party you translators are throwing yourselves. For reals, zero shits to be given. Everyone has problems, everyone is tired, and everyone has stuff that takes up their time. For the love of reality, enough with the "woe is me".

For you guys that are whining about slow translations and the "three month rule", sucks to be you. Every society/community/gathering has a specific set of rules that are adhered to. Social contracts, if you will. The translators, by and large, have agreed to a code of conduct among themselves that they don't seem to want to violate. That's all there is to it. It's not an absolute. It's not even really a rule. It's just a loose guideline that sticks. If you can translate it faster, then go ahead and do it. No one's actually stopping you. If you can find another translator willing to take up the project and do it faster, do that then. But chances are that neither of those are possible, which is why you're all stuck here, ranting on a forum in a fit of powerless rage.

Find something more productive to do.

20. Comet_Vomit

Comet_Vomit Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't actually mind slow translation speed ... in 10 years i'll still be here reading .... what I want is a good translation else I can just use mtl and do it myself fast and kms

Light of the World likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.