Discussion To anyone who has written a novel

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by mja, Sep 21, 2017.

?

Do you enjoy reading your own story

1. YES

19 vote(s)
    37.3%
  2. yes

18 vote(s)
    35.3%
  3. no

6 vote(s)
    11.8%
  4. NO

4 vote(s)
    7.8%
  5. I'm blind so i can't read my own novels

18 vote(s)
    35.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mja

mja Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm looking forward to writing a novel sometime soon and was wondering, do you enjoy reading your own novel or do you not read your own novel since you've written it and know the entire story

2. SilverCrow63

SilverCrow63 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes and no. It's fun seeing your ideas develop and come into play but at the same time you read through all the parts that could've been changed to be better, all the grammar mistakes, and all the cringe worthy moments.
    It's a mixture between pride and self loathing.

3. N1gh7R4v3n

N1gh7R4v3n Bounty Hunter for skittles

Reading List:
    Link
    For the most part, No. The reason is because you will always pick apart your own work. Constantly point out issues that youve made in the past or hate how you worded paragraphs. This is the reason why alot of books are not put out there due to the fact that the author will constantly reword, rewrite and retcon their own work. So if you write your own, get someone else to read it.

CheezyMayo, Rurin, fuzor100 and 5 others like this.
  4. Green Apple

Green Apple Actually I'm secretly an orange.

Reading List:
    Link
    When I read something I wrote long time ago it is usually interesting to read as I have forgoten most of details by that time. But I also see places I could've written better.

mja likes this.
  5. Cosmic_

Cosmic_ [Novel Addict] [Lazy Writer] [Meh Editor]

Reading List:
    Link
    I find that I might enjoy the effort that was put in but not always the novel itself. You’d sometimes feel it could be done better. But, I do reread it also to look for anything to fix or add like plot holes or clarify information. Overall though, I like reading it, but I’m the one who made it. I’m blind in my opinions, a literal blind person’s words would be better in terms of judgement than my own.

Rurin, AMissingLinguist and mja like this.
  6. Underload

Underload <I need someone to scratch my back!>

Reading List:
    Link
    you will burn in anticipation of the reviews and comments, but die alone seeing no one commenting. As for enjoying the story, don't post anything anywhere until you successfullly have a backlog, because you'll get tired of writing everyday so fast you won't even know what happened.

mir, mja, Dolfitos and 1 other person like this.
  7. LesserSarcasm

LesserSarcasm Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    then the haters come and you end up depressed etc and quit seen it happen way to much, it still reminds me of what that 1 author said, the more haters you have means your doing something right so as long as you continue having haters you should be fine

mja likes this.
  8. Dolfitos

Dolfitos 『Kingsize』 『Jason of N.U.F』

Reading List:
    Link
    To me I like reading the story, but that gets boring really fast since I'm the kind of guy who likes to do things as best as I can and because of that I take to much time writing and reading/editing. Thinking about important plot points and cool battles and fights motivates me though.

mja likes this.
  9. Myriadfold

Myriadfold 『Silkmaid』『Ishhara's Devotee』『Daoist』『WW Vet.』

Reading List:
    Link
    I am too blind :p visor gets in the way. I have a little companion in my head who handles all the typing and editing for me too haha.

lol, kidding... or am I??? *shifty eyes*

when it comes to rereading my stuff, I will always find things I am not so happy with. its the consequence of continuing to change as a person and grow as an author while my story remains a frozen snapshot of a moment in my past. If its things that make me feel stupid, like grammar or typo's or a dodgy sentence structure, then I may make minor edits to tidy it up but as a whole I will not touch the flow of the story or the choices/directions taken by the characters.

It's also quite rewarding and gratifying to look back at your old pieces and think "how far I came since then" or "ah yes, at that time my thoughts were like this. I have(/haven't) changed so much." and "I should try doing this again but instead of like this I would do that and repaint the scene for the readers".

mja likes this.
  10. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmmmm... It depends for me.

If I plan things out too much, I tend to hate it because the way it comes out doesn't quite fit with what I planned... If I just wing it though, I tend to like the outcome quite a bit, I have fun reading it overall!

It's specially nice to read really old stuff, because I can see I got better! It's nice seeing yourself progressing! \(^^)/

mja and fuzor100 like this.
  11. fuzor100

fuzor100 Standby mode...

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, it's fun to see your idea turn into a novel, especially if it turn out great.

No, because you have to re-read it over and over again to find any mistake, grammar, vocab, and rewrite it all over again.

mja likes this.
  12. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    *nod nod nod*

Re-reading is a real pain! I hate proofreading! >.<

Someone needs to do it though... :cry::cry::cry:

mja, Myriadfold and fuzor100 like this.
  13. Myriadfold

Reading List:
    Link
    proofing was my initial field of expertise. if there's one thing I find easiest and one thing I found hardest, easiest was proofing and editing, hardest was writing and being satisfied with my choice of diction T-T

mja, Wujigege and mir like this.
  14. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    *usually releases unproofread texts*
    :whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:

I don't mind editting/proofreading that much tbh... As long as it's not something I wrote, when I write things, I want them live as soon as they're done! >.<

fuzor100, mja and Myriadfold like this.
  15. ohko

ohko 【LGBTQ+ association】 【ohko is ohko!】

Reading List:
    Link
    For novels I've actually completed, they were very poorly written (since I was trying to write as fast as possible), so the idea of going back to re-read them makes me cringe.

I don't mind re-reading my shorter works though, because a lot more effort and planning and editing went into them.

mja likes this.
  16. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh oh! I get this feeling of trying to write too fast makes them bad! >.<

I usually just write whatever comes to mind and wing it, but I definitely get unhappy with the result if I try rushing it for one reason or another.

mja and ohko like this.
  17. Myriadfold

Reading List:
    Link
    some of my more satisfying pieces (and the only ones shared so far) were all written spontaneously and posted after about 40+minutes of double checking and editing. All my more planned out long stories have not left my vault yet until I am happy with the entire setting.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    mja likes this.
  18. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Writing spontaneously is nice~

I usually do that, it's surprisingly easy once you get to it, gives a really nice feeling! \(^^)/

Double checking and editing though... :sweating_profusely::sweating_profusely::sweating_profusely:

mja likes this.
  19. mir

mir Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Or you finally get a comment, excitedly read it, and then realize it's just a spam bot trying to sell you a watch.
    ----
    'do you enjoy reading your own novel?'
    I haven't written enough lately to say either way.
    I wrote the beginning to something a long long time ago, and rereading it doesn't make me cringe, because it's nostalgic.
    Also, maybe because almost no one read it, so I don't have to worry about embarrassment *laughs and cries at the same time*
    Or maybe because I was very sleep deprived when I wrote it, so I have an excuse to keep the cringe away.
    I don't know.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    mja likes this.
  20. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    I think a nice way of doing it is to write on the Community Creations and advertise it to the people you're close to! You're definitely going to get comments like this! \(^^)/

mja likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.