Question To Authors..

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by moonlhgt, Jan 11, 2023.

1. moonlhgt

moonlhgt ~Is in la la land~

Reading List:
    Link
    I had this thought just a couple seconds ago and was wondering if authors cry over their own books. Like if they killed off a character, or tragic backstories that make readers cry. Do you guys cry over that too?

2. Not Orris

Not Orris Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Likely. If you have written a piece that is intended to make an audience feel a certain emotion, to assess whether you yourself have felt it after reading it with a fresh set of eyes proves to be a rather nice litmus test.

moonlhgt likes this.
  3. hypersniper159

hypersniper159 Creator of NuF’s 7th Enigma

Reading List:
    Link
    I don’t see why it’s not possible. Authors try to write what they know, so if they do write a character, it could be a part of their personality. At that point it could be like killing off a part of themselves.

moonlhgt likes this.
  4. P2wo

P2wo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Once I'd written a character who experiences an anxiety attack in the middle of a road, and after writing it, I'd felt scared for days. So, maybe this can be extended to the deaths of characters as well?

moonlhgt likes this.
  5. Pokapoka_

Pokapoka_ Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Most of the time it happens, even during the drafting process. Because I need to prepare how the story progress (at least 100+ chapter ish) so that It'll be always on track, and even at the brainstorming phase writing bullet points of a certain story arc that I need to kill, or conflict that puts a moral dilemma between two characters, I'd definitely cry about it and I wanted to convey how I write and feels back then to my readers (which is the hard part lmao). So yes, it happens most of the time.

moonlhgt likes this.