Spoiler To Help You Understand

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by ni-b, Jul 25, 2020.

1. november27

november27 Happy, free, confuse and lonely in the best way

Reading List:
    Link
    Guys can some one tell me where I can read the latest translation of the manhwa? Please don’t put the link or the name as they might get tracked.(give me a clue or I’ll dm the person):aww:

2. Celebrianna

Celebrianna ❤️‍Solo Leveling❣️

Reading List:
    Link
    After all that’s said and done, isn’t the choice up to Violet? It’s her decision to make whether she can live with Winter or not. Whether she forgives him or not? Whether she wants to understand him or not? He can’t force her to accept him and he knows that now that she’s been living well without him for a year now.

For me personally, I read all the rants against the male lead before I started reading the novel. However, I made sure to go into the story with an open mind. There were times when I got so mad at Winter for missing clear signs, for brushing off Violet, and a lot of other things. But, there were also times that I recognized that this man is simply ignorant and clumsy when it comes to relationships, so I cut him some slack. I think the one year separation was good because he learned about a lot of things that Violet went through. He understood how much he has failed her as a husband especially while not noticing that his family bullied and harassed Violet. It is indeed kind of difficult for me to understand Winters version of love but it seems to be something he was trained by experience to do. The parents who raised him probably reinforced his “money shows love” concept as they showed care for him according to the money he earned for them. There’s the part in the novel when he shows up at his father’s house after being abandoned by his mother and he brought with him some type of product that was invaluable at the time because of market/economic conditions. Right away the couple saw the product and warmly welcomed him into their house. This way of love was undoubtedly nurtured and reinforced by those gold digging parents.

I think it will take time for Winter to gradually change his view of showing love because he’s lived that way since he was 12 years old. He also probably worked his tail off since that young age so his strongest and most mature worldview is that of the business world. This is why I tend to give him a chance to grow because romance and marriage is probably not a strong suit of his so he needs to learn and grow. If Violet does give him a second chance, I think it will be different this time because he at least understands that he needs to do better.

On a side note: perhaps there are readers out there, like me, who are open to seeing how Winter will change. There are readers who don’t really dislike Winter. They just find him odd and a idiot/clueless when it comes to love. Violet indeed suffered and he missed the signs even when they switched bodies but I think most of those readers still hope that Violet and him will work out their relationship.

3. retardedapplejuice

retardedapplejuice Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Exactly how I feel about Winter and their relationship. They're both frustrating and infuriating, but more of that due to Winter. At the start, I did keep questioning why they were still together, why Violet was putting up with all of it. But as the story progresses, there is more to him than his first impression. After a while, I started seeing him as a blind man living life without realising light and colours exist. An idiot who didn't know he was one, pretty much and carried on like that was normal. In a way, he's a sad character. And yes, I do cheer for his gradual character development & the reconciliation of their relationship, and hopefully some sweet, sweet justice against those who conspired against them.
    You agree with the language barrier analogy and then excuse yourself by saying, if you were in his shoes, you'd learn to point stuff out. Language isn't as simple as ABCD, cat, dog, up, down. There's vocabulary as well. You throw out words like manipulative to describe his parents expecting Winter to even know the concept of it in the context of their family. Time and again, I tell you and the novel expresses that he was blind to his parents' schemes even when he saw himself how they were talking down to her. He may have considered that they wouldn't 100% get along but the notion that his wife was being abused was not conceivable to him. The man may know the concept of manipulation (due to business dealings) but again, as he was taught by his parents that the amount of love you receive is directly proportional to the amount you pay. And so he was complacent in thinking his parents would treat Violet the way they would treat him because they are husband & wife. He is a tyrant but you insist on labelling him to be evil. The acts definitely aren't considered morally good, but how was he to know that? You might as well tell parents of autistic children having an episode in public that their child is terrible for misbehaving and that they should be ashamed of themselves.

Also Violet is very easy to relate to, to sympathise with since the novel is mostly told from her side of things. We barely get a glimpse of things from Winter's side outside of the bodyswap. Even though there are subtle hints of good acts he has done here or there, or scenes of him being a "normal" person, it's readily ignored because he looks & acts like an asshole.

Do you think a title equates to prestige? Type "define prestige" on Google and see what it says. You keep saying Violet & her family lost their "prestige" when Lawrence abolished the royal family when in fact, it boosted his. And it's that same prestige that keeps Lawrence acting regal despite his commoner status, and in comparison, makes him more pitiable to others when compared to Violet's perceived status - she lives in the lap of luxury due to her husband's wealth while her brother sacrificed everything to right the wrongs of the royal family. If the story was told from Lawrence's view, you'd be cheering for him too and would be labelling Violet to be a hateful manipulative bitch, just like all the other Southern nobels. Boohoo, poor Lawrence had to step up and bear such heavy burdens especially after his older brother's death. And yet all his hard work couldn't allow him to keep the crown he so deserved. That kind of crap.

This is just going around in circles. If you believe characters who aren't innately evil are incapable of salvation, then Winter will always be the indirect wife-beater in your eyes. Even in the scenes you pointed out and you wondered why Winter disregarded Violet, the reason is in the novel but I suppose it isn't worth reading. Even when it's blatantly expressed how Winter acknowledged that he was at fault at times, and when they were both victims of unforeseen crimes against them, you place the knife in his hands to make him out to be the killer. Winter was a victim too but Violet is an easier character to side with because she was the complete underdog, and people are suckers for underdogs.

Joker07, Elren, boom2424 and 5 others like this.
  4. Mece

Mece New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's about cost really. Winter can grow and change all he wants. But as a reader I am wondering why Violet has to bear the cost. Why she has to be his wife and mother at the expense of her mental and physical health. What grain of good within him is Violet supposed to see in order to make it ok that she was driven to suicide.

At the start of this story we see her making her decision. But it also seems that she can't make said decision alone. So is the choice really up to Violet? I am under the assumption that she cant just get a divorce, otherwise why would she need to ask her husband for one? Also after she kills herself in front of him he still doesn't agree to a divorce but a temporary separation. She should have just ran away. But she tried to do the right thing and perhaps the legal thing(once again, not sure if women can get divorced by their own initiative in this society) by telling him that she wanted to leave. They spend a little time together in the middle period of the story and things seem to be going ok until she gets "pregnant." He immediately assumes she has been unfaithful. But I still have to ask. If he won't spend any time with her how was she supposed to prove that she is the type to stay faithful?

He got love after giving people material things. She tries to spend time with him. He brushes her aside. How was she supposed to show that she appreciated the things he gives her(disregarding the fact that she never actually gets said things) if he won't even eat dinner with her? Ok, so he was warmly accepted by his family after giving them things. They showed care for him after he gave them things. When was she supposed to show said care for him if he won't spend time with her? How was she supposed to "prove" that she loved him as well when he scoffs whenever she talks? She tires to tell him about being locked in that closet but he immediately assumes that she was going to just talk about nonsense again. His way of love is impossible.

It takes her leaving for that year for him to understand how much he was being used. And to realize how lonely he was without her there. But was he ever not lonely? It's not like they interacted much during their three years of marriage. That lack of interaction was his fault though. She is happy without him. She comes back after he kills himself a few times apparently. But why? What was she going back too even? What relationship is there to mend? They never had one from the start.

boom2424, Reeka98 and Zapphire like this.
  5. retardedapplejuice

Reading List:
    Link
    All of your questions can be answered by the novel. You just gotta dig a bit deeper, remember points to connect later.

On a side note: I realised that one of the things I like about this novel is that there's a reason or explanation for the characters' actions and situations. Violet is beaten and broken but there are reasons to it, unlike MCs in other titles who are abused for no concrete reason/motivation. They're just written to be victims to easily establish a connection with the reader because they're underdogs. Lazy writing, in a nutshell, whereas Violet's experiences has intent/motivation behind them. And to clarify, when I said there were reasons for her being victimised, I don't mean points that show why she deserves any of it. Just that it isn't like in other stories where the MC's hardships is only for character development without really fleshing out her environment. Also, in this novel the 2 leads have their own struggles as individuals that then interconnect with their mutual struggle as a couple. They should have been allies but neither had an idea of the other's struggles, which adds to the drama because they struggled for the sake of the other, and so they each thought they were carrying the marriage by themself and had to win the other over. The bodyswap then really fits into the story like Japanese joinery (nail-less carpentry).

6. Mece

Mece New Member

Reading List:
    Link

You keep putting words in my mouth. For example you say that I keep saying Violets family lost their prestige. Did you even read my last response to you? Did I say her family lost prestige? I typed "Her prestige was lost". Her...that is singular. I did not type Her family's prestige was lost. I am only talking about Violet and ONLY VIOLET. Before that I typed "She is an ex princess of a bankrupt royal family that swindled her husband out of his money(she had nothing to do with that plot but still)." Why are you bringing up her brother's rise in status when I'm talking about Violet's loss of status? We agree about how Violet is being perceived by society. You realize that right? That she is being treated badly because she is seen as nothing but a swindling gold digger. Why are you even arguing with me about that point? The issue is that Winter assumes she is being treated well by society, based on ABSOLUTLY NOTHING. He was shocked when they swapped bodies to see how she was ignored. But of course he would be, he never goes anywhere with her.

I don't expect him to magically know about the abuse. Explain something to me. How is he supposed to gain Violet's love if he spends no time with her? He believes that the more money he spends on the people he loves the more they will love him. How is she supposed to love him from a separate room? How is she supposed to love him if he's always out of town. There are limits to how dense a character can be which is why I say he's either really stupid or evil. I am not saying that he is evil. Just to repeat myself. I AM NOT SAYING THAT HE IS EVIL. Just that his actions leave very few options for interpretation. Which is why a lot of people view him so negatively. I understand him being insulted by her not accepting those dresses for instance. But how does that reconcile in his mind with her continuing to try and interact with him? He seems to think that what she wants to talk about is annoying.

Violet is an underdog by design. That is all on the writer for waiting til the end to show us a softer side of Winter. Like...she goes to her husband to talk about how she was locked in a closet. The writer shows us Winter's thoughts in that moment. And he brushes her off while thinking that she's gonna talk about nonsense again. He only has these major revelations after the harm is done. Even his right hand man thinks its odd that Violet would have cheated on Winter. Oddly enough the right hand man has spent more quality time with Violet than her husband because of the body swaps. And that little time was enough to get a basic measure of her personality.

In the end, my point is that may perhaps the writer miscalibrated. This is a story about misunderstandings between a couple. About how through body swaps the couple comes to learn about sides of their spouses life that they never knew. But things are way too imbalanced with the pain being mostly on Violet's side. And with the flawed personality traits being on Winter's side.

Arye, boom2424, ecaayu and 1 other person like this.
  7. Celebrianna

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, Violet herself says she loves Winter so she only has to figure out now if she’s willing to live with him for the rest of her life. Love covers the flaws of love ones. It’s up to her to decide if she can live with those flaws. Right now things aren’t bad for Violet. The suicide attempts are in the past. They stopped more than a year ago. She already escaped the situation where Winter’s parents cornered her, harassed her and bullied her. She basically has the freedom to choose her future course except I did read spoilers that her brother will try to marry her off to someone else.

The story has already moved on from the beginn
    ing. Violet has taken back control of her life so she does have a choice to live her life as she chooses. Winter is also willing to give her a divorce and both him and Violet know that the decision is all hers. Winter also knows he cannot force her to do anything. Moreover, Winter and Violet do have some nice and frank moments even before she left him for a year. Winter even bought a house in the capital with a lovely size garden and decorated it with small animals thinking only of Violet’s pleasure when she sees it. Winter’s problem is that he was too late because he was actually looking forward to coming home at nights to Violet in their new mansion. Due to these moments, readers are able to see that Winter is trying to be more attentive to Violet and do as she asks to improve their relationship. He was simply too late. And he also didn’t know about all the things Violet suffered.

As far as Winter’s long absences, my understanding is that Winter spent a good part of the three years building back up his business/wealth because Ash swindled him out of the noble title that had serious implication for his business and standing financial obligations. This was also the reason why Violet was patient with Winter because she understood that Ash put Winter in serious difficulties when he broke up the royal family. Not to mention a significant portion of Winter’s fortune paid off the royal family’s debts. I’m not here to make excuses for Winter’s neglect of Violet but I do understand that a business man in that situation might pour all his time into building back up his business and that takes a lot of work considering the enormous debt he paid off. In many ways Winter reminds me of the well known Japanese hard working head of household.

In addition, I get the impression that Winter thinks of Violet as much better than himself and therefore he’s obsessed with providing for her like a princess. Probably he thought that as long as he kept her living like a princess, she will be content. He realized too late that he was wrong. I honestly don’t think this man is a bad person. It’s clear that he failed his wife but I don’t see anything wrong with Violet giving him a second chance. He seems repentant about his mistakes and I think Violet recognizes that as well.

ririkacchi, boom2424, ecaayu and 10 others like this.
  8. Kingdo

Kingdo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The answer you seek is "assumption" he guesses and assume everything alone with the little information he has about Violet. That, a really wrong way to act in a relationship, and it's difficult to correct.
    I can tell, I'm like that myself, I try to wait before tell or doing anything I assumed, but the timing is hard between logical deduction and assumed something wrong.

I won't defend Winter, I dislike him. For me, he is just a handicapped person who is a nuisance for others. Yes, he has a sob backstory and I understand his logic. But his ineptitude in a relationship make him handicapped and easy to manipulate or blind. So he became a source of nuisance for others and didn't realize it before it was too late. This is pitiable, but he needs to learn and evolve, and his behavior doesn't allow soft method.

Angela3107, AkatsukiKawa and aymara88 like this.
  9. Celebrianna

Reading List:
    Link
    I enjoy reading the novel. I wish it updated more times per week. I actually enjoy Winter and Violet’s conversations. They are such different people though.
    I still can’t get over all of Violet’s rules for their love making. If Winter is weird in one way, Violet is definitely weird in this way. I have never read such prudish behavior in my life. lol I’m one of those readers who thinks Violet needs to expand her world in this area
    But reading their conversations, Winter sure curses a lot and Violet is so etiquette-y so it’s an interesting but amusing combination. I look forward to their conversations every new chapter.

Naant, Le_Tired, mrs.apache and 5 others like this.
  10. Mece

Mece New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A story has a hook a reader and keep them hooked. Most of Winter's good points show up at the end. And imo it was a too little too late. Things were ok up until the fake pregnancy. At that point it is all too easy to see why Violet wasn't interested in giving him a chance. He sufferers through the separation. But I don't know if there is enough suffering to be had in order to redeem him. Because the issue wasn't that he needed to suffer more. The issue was that he needed to show some interest in his wife. But up until his break down we are supposed to believe that he always had an interest in his wife, he just had trouble showing it? Despite have access to his thoughts? The same thoughts where he was quick to show annoyance and anger towards her? The same thoughts that skewed toward viewing her as a possession? It isn't just that he wasn't shown acting like he likes her. He doesn't think like he likes her...until she gone, and by then why should readers care? Yes he is being tricked by her family and his family into having negative thoughts about her. But the kernel of "despite all that I'm still drawn to her" on his side of the ledger just wasn't strong enough for me to buy his side of the story.

11. retardedapplejuice

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree. I think the best analogy for Winter's mindset all those years is he was to Violet what a mother was to her child she had to leave behind to work overseas. She has to work far away from home not because she wants to but out of necessity. A momentary sacrifice for a prosperous future. It also kinda explains his attitude of ignoring/pushing Violet away when she approaches him (e.g. during Duke Blooming's birthday banquet). He is trying to make money for her sake, and if she becomes a hindrance to what is for her own good, he has to push her away, while also hoping that she would understand why he has to do what he has to do. And it's not like he completely disregards her. He said he would agree to talk later, but chased after her immediately when he noticed something was wrong.

And yes, it is quite sad when he was too late. Their relationship finally had a great chance of recovering - they started spending more time together, they were finally moving out to a house all to themselves. It wasn't even Winter's entire fault that Violet became what she was before their separation. She was already in the abyss, and her in-laws dangled a rope in front of her. What she thought was a lifeline turned out to be a noose. And since their relationship was still in the process of healing, all that just culminated into a larger, deeper gash. All the while Winter believed that his parents held their end of the deal - that they would look after her so she doesn't feel alone while he's away. It was sad enough that Violet went through all that. It was worse when it shattered what remained of their relationship, and then traumatised Winter as well. They were each other's salvation.
    Oh man, the bedroom ettiquette is indeed ridiculous. Violet was almost literally a dead fish in the sheets. Poor Winter must've had to finish by all himself in their affairs, while Violet couldn't even get an ounce of pleasure from it. It's always funny when Winter brings up the "if we can only do it on a bed, then if the bed is outside, that's ok?" argument. The man isn't wrong since Violet stated the "rules" without further expanding. The hammock question was also funny. Winter's blunt and vulgar speaking vs Violet's polite and prudish expressions shows great contrast but also helps appreciate the fact that they can still get along. I can't wait for the 3month deliberation to be over (or maybe it has ended?). I've yet to read last week's updates. I like to read the releases in a weekly basis so I don't groan after 1 chapter asking for more.

12. Celebrianna

Reading List:
    Link
    LOL Yes, that “bed only” discussion was amusing. I honestly was shocked when I read that she has him abiding by all these rules. The man can barely touch her during their love making. This definitely needs to change for both of their sakes. lol You’re right. They do get along despite their differences. I enjoy reading their conversations and time spent together. We’re still far from them reconciling but since the hotel will be opening soon, I suspect that interesting things will be happening as far away guests appear in the area.

13. retardedapplejuice

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't really see the point in talking to a sieve. The finer, important bits just slip through. But let me try. I said one of Winter's reasons for his complacency in not checking in on his wife was because he believed how could anyone think of treating royalty poorly. Your response was that she lost prestige because the status of her family was destroyed by her brother. Therefore, she lost prestige and made her a free-for-all target of abuse. Does it make sense that she alone lost prestige for what Lawrence did? She was considered inconsequential at worst, a useful political tool at best. She had no agency, as good as an object. So how does one object lose a quality it couldn't hold in the first place? Lawrence's stunt and her loss of title did not impact her prestige at all. Her reputation took a nose dive later as a consequence and part of the abuse. You're claiming to have gotten to the finish line when you haven't even started running yet. The rest has the answers all over the novel but there's no point in you asking when you've already chosen what answer you want. I'll leave it at that.

boom2424 likes this.
  14. Mece

Mece New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You are just mad I don't easily forgive Winter.

Yeah we both agree that Winter made assumptions about Violets status. What I don't get is why considering all that happend during their marriage day, he assumed everything would be fine as far as societies impression/treatment of her. You believe that she was always viewed as nothing but a puppet by the public? She certainly wasn't valued highly by her immediate family. It is explicitly stated that her mother only cared for her brother, and her brother didn't care too much for her at all. But I didn't get the impression that she was always viewed as a puppet by the rest of high society until after the stunt her brother pulled. Yes it makes since that she lost prestige because of her brother's action. Her brother was praised. She was called a scammer.

But ok. Whatever. Lets go with that. She's just never been considered highly by the elites of her society. All the nobles viewed her as inconsequential long before her brother's actions.

That just makes Winter even more of a dumbass for his assumptions than my reading of events. He married into royalty for status, but based on your interpretation married a known worthless pawn.

boom2424 likes this.
  15. retardedapplejuice

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow, in your quest to keep Winter as irredeemable, you completely forget the reason he married into royalty even if his wife was a mere puppet. I can't even.

Violet didn't lose prestige just because Lawrence gained more. That would only make sense if they were rivals. They weren't. Again, she came to be known as a scammer later on, not immediately at the wedding. The people were more focused on Lawrence and their mockery of Winter for being a social climber. No one gave a shit about Violet until she needed to be kept down for the benefit of her brother & her in-laws.

Winter didn't think he needed to check on his wife because he believes in money. One of his conditions for paying an extravagant amount of money to his parents was to look after her which includes her getting to enjoy banquets to maintain her dignity as an ex-royal. And since his experiences taught him that people will do what you want them to do for the right price, he expected his parents to do the same especially since he unlikely had ever experienced being betrayed by them (because they needed his money, they needed to be on his good side). His intentions were good but he was limited in how he can act on them and so chose the wrong actions. As I said in the mother going overseas leaving her child behind to get a better future for them, Winter believed Violet would understand his intentions, except the way he expressed them was not only lacking but was also twisted. His attempts at showing his wife he does think of her was cut off and rejected which made him only think he's still not doing well enough. Winter was used as both the stick and the carrot for Violet but you don't even want to think of who is on the other of it. I can understand some of Winter's actions (not necessarily forgive them) because it wasn't that they were innately wrong, but was rather lacking. He lacked understanding in many things but he had good intentions.

If you want someone who's a complete asshole but somehow still ends up being loved by the MC, go check out The Crown's Shadow (isekai Prince and the Pauper but BL). Emperor Lionhart is an asshole, evil, inexcusable.

I'm not mad because you won't easily forgive Winter. Rather, I'm frustrated because you ask deceivingly sincere questions only for them to be rhetorical. And you keep asking for answers that are laid out in front of you. The answer sheet could be sewed onto a pillow and used to smother you and you'd still not see it. If anyone is mad, it's you based on the change of your language. Probably because despite the questions that go around in circles, someone has a legitimate response. They're not all even to excuse Winter's faults but just showing motivations behind his actions. The responses are not for forgiveness but leniency. You keep blaming Winter for every thing that happened to Violet as if he conspired with his parents and Lawrence.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
  16. Koei_tenco

Koei_tenco Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is one the reason I hate Winter. For f*ck sake, a Doctor decided to help his parents to drug his wife and to hurt her for having a child and what Winter decided to do after hearing it? Hide it from Violet until the divorce is finalized ? You son of bitch!!! And the ending is they will continue to be married and having a child ? I'm outraged

Angela3107, boom2424, ecaayu and 2 others like this.
  17. AkatsukiKawa

AkatsukiKawa Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Having lived with parents who have a temper and have love language similar to Winter, I relate with this story so much (and that's why I love it!). Granted I did not need to take such drastic measures as Violet to make the condition better.

While people find Winter is weird, I can really see it is happening in the real world, that a person like him exists. His action is very understandable, at least, for me.

Elren, boom2424, booho and 1 other person like this.
  18. Gerald2020

Gerald2020 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Damn dude... I cried

boom2424 and BlueRoseJuliet like this.
  19. akera93

akera93 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think the lack of communication was both of their fault. She tried so many times and then she gave up so you can't compare the time after she gave up with his attitude since day 1 and say "oh look they both messed up and didn't try" . She stopped trying after 3 years. He, on the other hand, never tried to begin with. She wanted to talk so many times and requested an audience with him and he refused. I wonder how people who say they're both at fault justify this. Did they expect her to break into his office and tell him? Also, would he ever listen?
    She was honest when she found out she was pregnant (when she wasn't actually pregnant) and told him and he thought she cheated. That's how he acts when she tries to communicate with him.

At the end of the day, I'm fine that they ended up together because that stops the angst but honestly, he was too much of an asshole 99% of the time. The author tries to justify it using the old excuse "he was abandoned"...bitch, her family is just as fucked up and yet she tried to make the marriage work. They both came from messed up backgrounds but he let it define him and became a money grubbing little shit that emotionally abandoned and abused her for years. Of course there came a time when stopped trying....after 3 years.
    I've read spoilers about every chapter of the novel and I know everything but I still am angry at him even up until the end.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2021
    Arye, Angela3107, boom2424 and 4 others like this.
  20. Aurayleah143

Aurayleah143 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I dont mean this as an insult but please stop gauging the amount of pain someone else has. just because there is some problem that is easy for you to face doesnot mean that it is easy for everyone else in this world as well. only the person who is feeling the pain can know how much it hurts.
    You mean to say that commiting suicide was easy for the fl? it was not. she was just so depressed that she started thinking of suicide as something normal. it felt easier to commit suicide than to to have to continue living. she was able to shoot herslf as a show in front of the ml that time, not because she knew that she would live(no, she was never sure she would live. it was a mystery throughout the story.), she was able to commit suicide because she didnot care even if she died right there as she felt that there wld be no regrets)

AkatsukiKawa likes this.