Oneshot To make heads or tails

Discussion in 'Community Fictions' started by Slayerwolfx2, May 4, 2018.

1. Slayerwolfx2

Slayerwolfx2 [Immortal Forever]

Reading List:
    Link
    I understand I should be posting one of the two stories I have here on NUF, or at least finish the ones I have in RRl, but no motivation, and too bored for that, and... well, here is a short story in parts!

Part 1!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In a world ten times larger than earth, most people lived in Great Cities, surrounded by walls, while leaving the rest of the world unexplored.

It wasn't that there was no will, or passion to explore all those areas... after all, humanity occupied only about 10% of the surface, while the remaining 90% was a mystery.

Yes, it wasn't that they didn't want to, but that they couldn't.
    Monsters and fiends lived outside the protected areas, and while humanity had come far in terms of dealing with them, they were still not able to gather enough power to properly protect themselves, let alone go exploring.

Most Great Cities lived for tens of years without hearing any news from others, unless it was a topic so important that it affected the entirety of them all.

Only new technologies, new ways to handle mana, or mythical treasures could demand communication, while they focused their powers towards development.

It wasn't always like this, but humanity had countless raises and falls amongst the millions of years of its history. However, the single most despairing time humanity was pushed so far back was this... 2.000 years ago, when a pair of brothers opened a hidden door.

From that time, when they were almost annihilated, to the point they could just barely defend themselves, humanity had adapted far faster than any of its previous evolutionary periods. Cultivation manuals were created and improved, while countless valiant and strong figures rose up and protected what little had been left from humans... that is the story of the Great Cities.

"Kiri! Wait for me..." A young girl shouted towards a small, cunning fox.
    "You little devil!" She said once she caught up with the small fox. "No matter how cute you are, stealing like that is not excusable!" She berated the little fox, who just lowered he small ears in response, dropping a pouch full of gold coins.

"Of course, next time you better synchronize our timings... and I'm taking a bigger cut, cause I almost got caught because of you." The young girl said with a smile.

Her name was Lira, an abandoned orphan whom strived to protect herself and her even younger friends in this dog eat dog world. Of course, with how minimal her strength was, any kind of work she did wouldn't be able to support 11 other children, while selling her self was out of the question.

With no other path to take, she resorted to stealing from other people. It was anything but easy, and a lot of times she almost lost her life when she was found out, or worse, but she managed to keep on moving, no matter the setbacks.

All of her hardships, however, came mostly to an end, when she accidentally saved a young fox. The small fox, now named Kiri, was surrounded by two large wolves, and with no way to escape, Kiri would soon die.

Taking pity on her, Lira risked her life in order to save her, gaining the best partner she could ever hope for.

With Kiri's and Lira's intelligence, they managed to steal almost any prey they found to their penny.

Of course, Lira always gave Kiri her cut. And while Kiri herself couldn't spend that money, she could ask Lira to do it for her. Most of Kiri's cut went to buying food, or some toys, which when she got bored of them, she gave it to the children, so Lira was more than happy to help Kiri spend her money.

"By the way, Kiri, soon I will complete my mana core..." She said to the fox while walking towards their hideout.

In this world, consolidating your mana core meant you could go outside the walls to hunt. Everything outside the walls was of course incredible valuable, and it remained by far one of the best ways to make money, while at the same time being one of the most dangerous.

Lira one time couldn't keep herself from stupidity, and went along with Kiri outside the walls, by seeking out. After a small encounter with a monster, she pissed her pants, while Kiri drove the monster away by grabbing its attention and leading it away. From then, the both of them had a much closer bond than before, and were practically inseparable.

Lira was in fact traumatized by that experience and never even went close to the wall.
    But that couldn't remain the same. She had to adapt and evolve, else remain stationary and rot.

Last edited: May 4, 2018
  2. Flufflebutter

Flufflebutter Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sounds more like a description of a story than an actual story beginning.

3. Slayerwolfx2

Slayerwolfx2 [Immortal Forever]

Reading List:
    Link
    Well... it's the intro.
    Also it's gonna have more parts, so long as I don't forget to write them.