Today i become a NEET

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Astarte677, Apr 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NZPIEFACE

NZPIEFACE Leecher

Reading List:
    Link
    Fishing? Fresh water or sea?

2. NZPIEFACE

NZPIEFACE Leecher

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, you don't get to choose that. That's not being a NEET anymore. This is the harsh life you chose.

3. neogamer

neogamer Cute is justice!「Maxwell 」

Reading List:
    Link
    If you are good at English (speaking, reading, writing, and understanding the grammar) then translate. Everyone knows we need more of them, and neets are the best suited considering they have little to no obligations to hinder their work.

Hahhaa likes this.
  4. neogamer

Reading List:
    Link
    Fishing can be a job, pro fishers here in my country of Murica.

Little Dragon likes this.
  5. NZPIEFACE

NZPIEFACE Leecher

Reading List:
    Link
    The most she could be is a Proofreader if she can't read other languages....

6. neogamer

Reading List:
    Link
    True, but those are necessary as well.

7. DarknessWolf

DarknessWolf The Neutral, The Chaotic, Summoner, Lone Wanderer

Reading List:
    Link
    Well let ask @Satan then he may know how to do with you. :coffee:

Satan likes this.
  8. Little Dragon

Little Dragon I does what I likes and I likes what I do

Reading List:
    Link
    Well if she is gonna be a NEET she would have the time to learn a language.

Astaroth likes this.
  9. neogamer

Reading List:
    Link
    Learn all the languages of East Asia, and English. Translate all the novels and ask for donations and make money that way.

10. NZPIEFACE

NZPIEFACE Leecher

Reading List:
    Link
    True, but seeing how she isn't willing to finish uni, I doubt she'll learn a language to the point you can translate.

Astaroth and Little Dragon like this.
  11. dustmite

dustmite On a roll

Reading List:
    Link
    Has OP tried volunteering? It's a good way to make friends and do what you like.
    Someone I knew was a neet for 7 years and he just tried out volunteering at a local place after being unable to find a job and his mum cried tears because she was so proud of him.

12. admira

admira Dino Pirate

Reading List:
    Link
    I will ignore the posts on pages 2~11 because it's TL;DR and address you directly, @Astarte677

As a 4th year computer engineering student, I agree that school is hell. Thanks to study abroad and entering my major late (I used to be mechanical engineer) I also have a year left. But if you can manage to put up with it for one more year, your job prospects will be so, so, so much better. Computer Engineers (and computer scientists, which are pretty much the same) have a starting salary of over $60,000. What's the starting salary of a NEET? Nothing, unless you're on welfare or something.

If you stop your education now, it will be much harder to pick it up later. That is a solid fact. There's also the issue of credits losing validity as time passes (a certain number of credits must be completed within so many years).

Being a NEET sounds "cool" and all, but let's face it: if you want to have the money to buy stuff or go on awesome vacations, you need a good job with good pay. I want to go back to Japan. I want to buy things for my various hobbies--sadou, ballroom dancing, light novels, video games, etc. So I tell myself that it's just one more year of rationing sleep and having no social life.

On the off chance that the gender disparity is prompting your decision: get over it. There will always be some people who don't believe that women belong in STEM fields. But there are just as many people who encourage women to take an interest in computers and the like.

But honestly, if you're giving it up so readily then it might just mean it isn't the field for you. There are tons of people who go into Comp Sci/Comp Eng thinking that it's like IT (but better paying). Most of them drop out of engineering into IST or switch to another major. I highly recommend talking to your advisor and professors about this. Try talking to your family, friends, or anyone else who might help you consider your choice from fresh perspective.

If you are dead set on your decision, so be it. To put it bluntly, it isn't my problem even if you end up regretting it later. Maybe you will, maybe you won't. I hope you choose well.

CDLevit, Astaroth and NZPIEFACE like this.
  13. NZPIEFACE

NZPIEFACE Leecher

Reading List:
    Link
    I would be proud of him if I knew the guy.

14. Eve

Eve Title under construction

Reading List:
    Link
    In my case, I work part time and helped to pay my little sister's tuition in univ. she'll graduate this year and I'll get to get leech on her soon :3

15. NZPIEFACE

NZPIEFACE Leecher

Reading List:
    Link
    Holy shit, this is the best plan ever

regan, Astaroth, Eve and 1 other person like this.
  16. Dizzcity

Dizzcity Watching generations of fans rise and fall away

Reading List:
    Link
    To the OP... it feels like you're running away. Given your social/academic situation, maybe you feel that you can't take it anymore. If that's the case, it's fine to take a break for one semester, or even a year from uni. But if possible, try not to make a decision that would be irreversible (like formally dropping out). See if you can take a leave of absence from uni instead, to recover psychologically. Basically, don't do anything drastic to cut off your options.

Also, check if your university offers student counselling services - they may be able to help you sort out what to do next. I know there sometimes can be a stigma associated with going to see a counsellor in Asian communities, but frankly this is precisely the sort of situation that student counselling services are created to help with. And the stigma of being a NEET is usually worse in mainstream society. Your counsellor may also know some backdoor methods of getting around the official university policies to keep you enrolled. The other thing a counsellor can help you do is to clarify what your passions are, and help you set career goals, rather than the NCAE.

If the math is an issue, there are a few options. One, you could use your time as a NEET to learn some math online, on your own, so that if you re-take those Calculus subjects later, your academic scores won't be affected. Secondly, you could try changing specializations within your department. I think hardcore Computer Science has the most math in the IT department (besides maybe Computational Science). See if there's a possibility to change to an Information Systems major instead, or something similar. That's less math-and-programming-heavy, but could still get you a decent enough job (at least in the banking industry). And it should share at least 60-70% of the same subjects as a CS major.

If the primary issue is social isolation/bullying, taking time off can actually help a little, in that it would put you a year behind most of your former classmates. That might be enough to get you away from any bullies. I would also suggest using this time to build friendships outside of your class. Look, university life tends to be very isolating by nature, very different from high-school life. You are usually the only one who will take your particular combination of subjects in any one semester. See if you can make friends through clubs / extra-curricular activities instead of the other people in your classes. If the university clubs are now closed off to you, check the local community centre, or religious organizations, or search online for activity clubs. The friends you make there would provide you with a good social support network in case you come across a crisis like this again.

If you're worried about being able to afford to stay away from home and monetary efficiency, see if you can get a part-time job during your break from uni. It doesn't have to earn you a lot. But it gets you out of the house, and lets you experience a little bit of life outside of university, which may be good for you. And maybe after experiencing work life for a bit, you might be clearer in your decision whether you want to continue with your degree or not. Go ask the nearest McDonalds if they're hiring, or maybe look up data entry jobs in online job portals, as a start.

regan, yuzuki, admira and 6 others like this.
  17. NZPIEFACE

NZPIEFACE Leecher

Reading List:
    Link
    No matter how important something is, wall of text

Eve and Little Dragon like this.
  18. CDLevit

CDLevit Aspiring water; spark of cynicism; Em&es explorer.

Reading List:
    Link
    But, you've forgot to mention that the end is when you die. Your decisions will follow you for the rest of your life, whether they are good, whether they are bad. But, you should look up to the future and don't give up, do your best and be positive in your fight with life!

& there can be worse casee than the life of a neet. I.E. like in this article: https://www.quora.com/I-screwed-up-my-life-Is-it-too-late

Eve likes this.
  19. neogamer

Reading List:
    Link
  20. sk13lance

sk13lance Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    marry me, so i can leech off you as well

(i'll be expecting some lecturing retorts)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.