Spoiler Today, the Foolish Scum Gong Screwed Me Over Again

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by Apaylia blackrose, Jul 4, 2020.

1. Apaylia blackrose

Apaylia blackrose Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Today, the Foolish Scum Gong Screwed Me Over Again
    [​IMG]

Novel Summary

Everyone thought that Qiu Yanzhi was the lowest of the low. A true scum with no self-respect who deserved to be spit upon.

Even the scum gong himself felt this way.

And then one day…

Scum Gong: “Get lost Qiu Yanzhi.”

Qiu Yanzhi slightly inclined his head as he looked up with misty eyes and bloodless lips. His voice was hoarse and trembling involuntarily from terror: “He, He Zhou… I-I won’t leave you. I won’t–”

The scum gong sneered as he slammed the door on his way out.

He forgot his wallet.

He returned home to see the scum shou furiously applying eye drops before sobbing in a crumpled heap against the wall:

“He Zhou… He Zhou… I love you… Please don’t leave me… I was wrong… Please, I love you–”

Then the scum shou suddenly started rolling on the ground laughing hysterically:

“Damn these lines are so cheesy. I bet He Zhou’s ego’s going to inflate when he hears this shit. His face is the only good thing about him, even his techniques suck lol. Only a fool would like him hahahahaha……”

Then the scum shou rolled to the feet of the scum gong.

The scum shou’s face drained of all colour.

The scum gong’s face turned several different colours.

The atmosphere was very awkward.

- Description from Novelupdates

Details
    Short Title :
    Original Title : 沙雕渣攻今天又渣了我
    Author : Red Mouth White Teeth
    Type : Web Novel
    Genre :
    Comedy, Romance, Shounen Ai

Novel updates link
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series/today-the-foolish-scum-gong-screwed-me-over-again/

pcheshire and morticia_addams like this.
  2. emiliers

emiliers Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What spoilers do you want exactly? I half-read, half-skimmed the first thirty or so chapters (and, uh, skimmed through the ending because I'm just That Kind of Person). And it's a pretty engaging read, though it's really different than what I expected.

...and it really isn't one. It starts out appearing like one, but the summary wasn't lying when it said that the MC was scum. And, at a certain point, the MC kind of out-scums the ML, and I'm usually not the type to ever feel sorry for the ML in these types of situations, but in this novel, I almost did. Though what really saves the MC here is that he's (1) aware that he's scum and (2) a lot of his scumminess is by necessity.

The story as a whole seems like it's more centered on the mystery of the game itself. There is relationship drama, but it's bound up pretty tightly with the nature of the game. (In like, the mid-20s, the MC encounters a glitch in the game that prevents him from logging out, and things really snowball from there.)

And while it starts off comedic, the story really ends up more of a drama than anything else. And from what I've garnered from the ending (and from other people's reviews), it seems that there will be a lot of plot twists.

3. Apaylia blackrose

Reading List:
    Link
    Scum by Necessity as in?

4. emiliers

emiliers Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As in, he's lowkey forced into it by his situation in the game.

As I mentioned, the game ended up glitching out at one point. And this happens because of the scene in the summary, actually, when ML discovers that MC had been putting on an act this whole time. (At this point, MC had been trying to get ML to divorce him because he'd have to pay money for a divorce ticket if he wanted to divorce himself, but if the ML brought it up, the divorce would be free LOL. So he's been acting extra sticky since the ML hates that.) The game essentially "crashes" and MC discovers that he can no longer logout. What's worse is that the game itself seems to have disappeared and only the places around the ML exists (everything else is white space). So when the ML comes back with the divorce papers, the MC is like "Nevermind, no divorce!" ...and also comes up with a bullshit lie about suffering from DID (which the ML does not believe lol), but that's neither here nor there.

This is really the turning point for their relationship imo, where it seems like the ML actually grows to love the MC. They spend quite a bit of time together like this, and then the system somehow manages to return (despite the crash). The system reveals that the game had actually been pulled from circulation three years ago because of an incident where a person died in the game and never woke up IRL (the MC apparently got the game from a friend) and it had been hoping that, by convincing the MC to buy more things from the store, that the company can earn more money and reboot the game. The system then convinces MC to buy a reset ticket that'd reset the game completely in an effort to get rid of the bugs. After some reluctance, the MC does. (And he activates it right after traveling to that marriage island and reaffirming his relationship with the ML; for him, it was a "goodbye" kind of deal while the ML thought they were going to be together from now on -- and from there the MC's scumminess intensifies.)

So after the reset, MC still can't log out (though other functions of the game are working normally again), and the MC has chosen another capture target because of the system warning that choosing the ML could lead to the same bugs happening again. BUT, as it turns out, the ML retained his memories despite the reset. And as the ML is the source of the game glitching out, the MC ends up doing his best to avoid him while also trying to capture his new capture target (his underclassman) on the assumption that clearing the game = gaining the ability to logout.

At one point, MC physically knocks out the ML and then uses a card that makes someone not appear in your life anymore. (MC spends a lot of money on in-app purchases post-game glitch, ha.) That card actually made ML hallucinate and apparently "witness" the MC getting hit by a car and dying. (ML's parents died via car accident, so this is huge trauma for him.) Once MC found out what this card actually did, he actually goes, "This is too much even for me!" and goes to see the ML despite the system's protests. And breaks through the hallucinations (since the card wasn't finished completely activating yet). The MC and ML then come to an understanding (?) and ML tells MC that he'd rather the other just say "I can't tell you" rather than lie to him so much.

Anyway, that's not to say that all of MC's actions are excusable though. MC is kind of a habitual liar (though the ML eventually learns his tells and knows when he's lying). But the ML isn't a super great, blameless guy either (ML ends up trying to force MC into marriage the second go-around, in a stunning reversal, which is what led to the whole knocking-unconscious-and-forced-hallucination deal), so they kind of deserve each other, haha.

And yeah... all of this happens in the first thirty-some chapters, so there's probably a lot more rollercoasters waiting...

Also, some endgame spoilers, in case you were wondering...

ML and MC were actually childhood (?) friends. I think middle (or high) school classmates? I think they were also each other's first loves too (and MC originally picked ML because ML resembled his friend lol). And ML was the player from three years ago whose consciousness was lost in the game when he died in-game. Then his body was taken over by an NPC from the game during the game's emergency logout measures. Eventually, ML gets his body back, but since I skimmed all of these parts, I'm not sure of the how.

^ That's about what I retained from like ten minutes of skimming the last five chapters or so. Don't quote me on that since I skipped like fifty chapters in between.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
  5. Apaylia blackrose

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks. I could stomach scum. He is atleast not sadist or cheater.

I will put it on my queue

Heungbo likes this.
  6. Arekushieru

Arekushieru Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    But, since 'scumminess' by necessity isn't scumminess, the only scum is the NPC ML. Thanks for letting me know!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
  7. GloomyBird

GloomyBird Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
  8. Eva_SanaMaramingUpdate

Eva_SanaMaramingUpdate Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Okay, first time posting a spoiler in this forum and im a bit excited now cuz i just finished it rn so here

The story titled "Today, the Foolish Scum Gong Screwed Me Over Again" and i think its really referring to the mc. He screwed the "target" over and over again and this story is really a roller coaster if you finish it. Dont drop it because its worth it.

So here's the spoiler:
    Something like bug will appear and a white void will envelop the mc and he'll cling to his target and be dependent. And there seems to be other 'player' that was also trapped in the game. The NPCs are already becoming a bug itself and their 'character settings' seems changing even without mc much intervening. The interesting thing here the ML seems to be not affected to the 'cards' that's MCs using, and yes the ML is the CEO

it seems that the discussion here is not that blast so I took the initiative in case some ppl will check after knowing the manhua. The novel's fun too. Anyway, if I'll encounter ppl having interest in this I'll gladly spoil you!! I just cant contain the excitement lol cuz i binged read it

9. Desperate

Desperate Desperate for spoilers <( °-° )>

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know why but I expected a more idk, exciting plot twist?? I was imagining things like what if he just purposely become a "scum" to the mc for whatever VALID reason. Anyways, I'll wait for more updates

10. Eva_SanaMaramingUpdate

Eva_SanaMaramingUpdate Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

Oh, he's just a scum but he really had a valid reason tho. He does not feel emphathetic with them because he really feels they are JUST an npc and as the story progress you'll understand him