Question Toilets problems for mcs transported to other worlds/past

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Raven Evernight, Apr 23, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tides

tides Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i've only seen one novel address this.

the rest just ignores it.

i think release the witch did mention how there was no toilet but it the whole fixing it was skipped and never mentioned

成神从种田开 is the only chinese novel i've read that mentions, introduces flush toilets and hot water

2. bkwusa

bkwusa Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In the USA I can't even take a proper hot bath, I am just too big for them now. Most bath here are made for people shorter then 6 feet... any taller and yeah... go shower.

For toilets I might note that even in futuristic novels it's almost never covered. It's not normally a topic for polite society no matter what age. There would be a ton of worse things if you got sent back into medieval times... like no bras... no feminine hygiene products for their monthly time... Body odor... nobody washing their hair... ever. Bugs everywhere. Water that is not clean. And so on and on...

3. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is just one manifestation of the culture shock situation. There are tons of other ones out there. It is one of the better ones though because it's very visceral so it's an easy way to get readers to sympathize with the protagonist.

AliceShiki likes this.
  4. Eishun

Eishun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess it depends on your Occupation?

I watched an isekai anime before and, according to the characters, arch-priests, crimson demons and crusaders don't need to use toilets.

5. Stueck_Bacon

Stueck_Bacon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    even if the problem of the modern toilet is interesting most people dont want to read such things,,
    toilet problems are kind of a taboo topic. i mean. would you talk with other people about how enjoyable that one toilet visit was for you?
    most people think stuff like this is embarrassing,, and stuff

i agree with that point. but arent there also other ways to add depth and flavor to the world building?

maybe its a problem in society that topics like that arent,,, welcomed in conversations and stuff,, that its 'embarassing' even tho everyone needs it and uses it,,,

i personally think its bcuz of this that most authors dont adress it but idk i cant see in their head to see what they think

6. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There are tons of different ways to bring out the flavor in world building. The thing though is that the easiest and one of the most effective ways to do so is to talk about everyday things and actions. Simple stuff like food, sleep, and cleaning up are just great ways of bringing the message across. I've read a lot of books that do this, and there are even more ways beyond this. Things like cultural habits, governmental policies, societal interaction, philosophy, and so on. However most of these other methods are advanced techniques beyond the skills of most writers out there, and it's painfully obvious when someone is faking it.

Again, I don't think that it's necessary to spend a lot of time and words on this. Just a mention or two about chamberpots would already go a long way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.