Movie Tomb Raider = B class action movie

Discussion in 'TV/Movies Discussion' started by Jojo775, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Viola

Viola Studio Ghibli Fanboy Mother of Learning Fanboy

Reading List:
    Link
    Well as far as Video Games movies go this one is a Magnum Opus in comparison to most of everything that has been made.

As just a film though... ya, you aren't watching it for any amount of realism. Was a cool action film. Suspend your disbelief and it was enjoyable.

2. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    Nah, I'm tired of the explosions and random machine gun fire(that shit reached it's peak way back in the 90's), and that crazy scene with the rusted airplane was impossible beyond belief. I think it all started way back with LOTR, they had these cool parkour fighting scenes(Legolas). Then they milked the old cow with The Hobbit and had too much of these scenes - like running on a collapsing stone bridge and shit, that's when I had enough and turned off the movie(not that that is it's only fault).

3. Estarossa

Estarossa 《Master of Dessert》°Resurrected Ghoul°

Reading List:
    Link
    She's worked alongside Matt Damon and Henry Cavill, not really unknown.

Also it's a video game movie, none of those have been done right. Look at Assassin's Creed.

prongsjiisan likes this.
  4. Flyingfrogslash

Flyingfrogslash Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I haven't seen it yet, and to be honest wasn't planning to until it is put on Netflix or the like. Movies based on actual video games are notorious for either being absolutely terrible (thanks Uwe Boll, you peddler of trash) or just mediocre at best. At this point I simply have no real faith in any movie adaptation of a video game. One day I hope to be proven wrong, but until then...

5. prongsjiisan

prongsjiisan Apostle of Violence

Reading List:
    Link

This is how lara sound like.

6. suncust

suncust I love all fluffy things! ~

Reading List:
    Link
    My impression of the movie was it felt like a life action replay of the game. From what one of my friends who played thw game the entire movie was based on one of the earlier chapters of the game.

7. forecast

forecast [Batoto Veteran] [sakurahana veteran]

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it's because they try to "add" a little of their something to the movie to make it theirs instead of just pasting the game itself in real life with changes to the platforming.
    Which in their mind they can say "I made this great" but in truth makes it fail.

I mean most video game already have a story, so I think they want to reinvent it into "hollywood material"

quotes = sarcasm

8. Neiri

Neiri Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I rarely watch movies nowadays. I keep seeing cinema sins.

Cupcake Ninja likes this.
  9. Cupcake Ninja

Cupcake Ninja [Kind Sage][Lord Benevolence][ The Great Paragon]

Reading List:
    Link
    thats exactly why movies from games turn out like shit. They try to mirror the game, which they cant. Not only that, the directors try to add a bit of "style" or "flair", their own "personal touch"....which always turns out like crap because most of the time they either dont know what made the game good apart from the mechanics or they themselves are just subpar in the imagination department.

You either be true to the game's story since you cant copy the interactive nature, or you do what you want and face a much larger risk of failing. Granted it may work out well but as you said, that is so rare the case. A game with a great plotline and interesting characters would do well in a movie if only they focused on those two points. It wouldnt be the same experience the players had while playing but im pretty sure they wouldnt flop so much.

Personally i would want a movie based on AC Black Flag. I fell in love with that awesome trailer. The actual AC movie we got was just terrible and no one wanted to see the "present day" stuff they just wanted to see some cool assasinations and intrigue.
    Only other game i would for a movie would be the Witcher where Geralt just fights some monsters and shags women and maybe pisses off a monarch or two with some of that famed dry wit of his.

haha....you notice the mistakes more now, right? I know, me too. Ever since i started watching cinema sins the small details i would usually ignore are just so glaring and obvious. Every nonsensical sentence or unexplained change in clothes from one small cutscene to the next, mysteriously vanishing wounds or otherwise lethal happenings that somehow barely affect the character at all...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2018
    Viola likes this.
  10. Viola

Viola Studio Ghibli Fanboy Mother of Learning Fanboy

Reading List:
    Link
    You realize that all of those action scenes were nearly beat for beat from the Video Game right?
    This movie is adapted from a Video game right?

You are slinging shit at the entire reason the movie was made. If you are going to dislike a Video Game movie because it is like the Video Game it is adapted from then why in the hell did you watch it in the first place? You knew what you were going into.

The reasoning is akin to. "I dislike movies with guns, but i am going to watch this movie with guns" *Watches movie* "What trash, it had guns in it!"
    I don't know what you expected going into this movie but expecting no Video Game elements in a Video Game movie is absurd. We have had movies like that in the past and they never ever do well because they betray the source material and that isn't what the people paying want.

Again, if you are so tired of explosions and machine gun fire one look at a trailer will tell you that you will absolutely hate it. I've no idea why you would watch it when all your criteria for disliking a movie are present in this movie and its easy to see in a single trailer.
    Do you have money to waste?
    Do you like watching stuff you know you aren't going to like? Have a lot of free time?

I am fine with people criticizing this movie, it was no perfect piece of work, far from it. But one thing i really dislike is when people say that they have this deep rooted bias against core aspects of the film before even seeing it, they then go watch it and slam it in reviews and ratings for those core aspects that they have a previously deep rooted bias against.
    First, what did you really expect going in. You knew you weren't going to like it.
    Second, this isn't a good way to rate the technical score a film deserves. The fact that you dislike explosions and machine guns as well as video game elements in a video game movie has nothing to do with whether or not the film was good but has everything to do with your specific taste in films.

I am sure you have more than enough valid criticisms of the movie but self admitted bias against its elements should not be one of them.

Edit: When i say Video game elements i am referring to 'What made Tomb Raider Tomb Raider'. Not health bars and shit.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  11. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow you wasted so much time saying bullshit. I thought the trailer was ok, had no idea it followed the game so much, I expected more from an Oscar winning actor and it was better to go with friends to watch it than sit at home.