Top chart chinese novel

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Nightangle, May 7, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Nightangle

Nightangle Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I was out of novels to read so i looked up the top charted novels on chinese novel websites and tried to find the translated ones. But couldnt find a single one which was translated even though they have been uploaded long ago. I get it if the new ones werent translated, but these have been on top charts and have been completed so why aren't they getting translated is it because of issue with the authors or are there names changed after getting translated from chinese i looked them up though the google translate.
    杠精的起点频夫郎(女尊)

2. Greater thunder

Greater thunder Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There's a lot of factors really. Not aware of all of them.

Lot of good stuff is hidden behind very safe paywalls of faloo (you'll sometimes have a few half raws of these slip through, but not even mtl sites try all of them) or its korean and japanese equivalents.

Its also translator choice. Some just pick whatever seems fine and regret later(like God and Devil World), others read through everything, a lot of them have surprisingly easy to please tastes(guilty of this as well. Most IET stuff is just fine and I finish them when they get tled. I however flee from stuff like Against the Gods or Martil God Asura because I find it disgusting to read).

Also relating to translators, there can be a lot of problems regarding rights and money. A lot of failed sites(like Gravity Tales) or Qidian's entry to the english speaking scene causes novels to be dropped, deleted, tled first 20~50 chaps and then nothing and not showing up on casual search, paywalled......

Wuxia world used to have a lot of "good" (read, I liked it, so I checked the page often. Like Terror Infinity, Desolate Era,....) stories in the past and their newer, legally arranged inventory doesn't interest me (don't care at all for Keyboard Immortal, Yama Uprising, some Korean works they tl now,.......).

Lastly, the language characters don't make it easy. A single title can be respun into anywhere between 2~7 variants that in english don't sound or mean anything similar due to being entire sentences or paragraphs. This goes for all the title sources(japanese, korean, chinese. I don't read any filipino or vietnamese so I can't tell you for those at all). Or just because a single character can be 12 fucking different words and there are 30 of them that only make up 3 actual words so interpretations are many.

Depending on what you type in, either nothing comes out or you find exactly what you wanted.

3. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think that the biggest reason is that the readers in China are quite different from readers on NU. Sure, the most popular xianxia novels and a few other genres are popular in both places, but there are a lot of popular Chinese genres that don't get translated at all. To illustrate, look at a writer like Jin Yong. In China, he's the most popular author of the last hundred years, he's massively influential, and literally everyone knows about his books. On NU though, barely anyone even knows he exists, and most people don't even know what wuxia is.

It's unreasonable to expect translators to tackle books and genres that can't find a readership so a lot of these books get passed over. I imagine that things like rights and permissions factor a bit into this, but I doubt that it's the main cause.

4. Nightangle

Nightangle Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm it can be a factor that certain genre dont get much readers, but most of the novels in the charts are rebirth and transmigration novels. Most of them are completed and in top charts that is why i thought howcome they are not being translated as they should be the first prefrence for translators.

Yeah i thought so too maybe the titles of these novels maybe getting translated to something different. I thought the rights should be one of the problems but webnovel is gaining rights for many novels so i thought shouldnt the top charts be there first target.

5. Greater thunder

Reading List:
    Link
    Jin Yong mentions is poor.

So much of his stuff got translated, people just don't look it up. Heaven Sword and Dragon Sabre, Demi Gods and Semi Devils, Smiling Proud Swordsman,......

I also have no idea how people keep mixing up wuxia and xianxia. Yes, untranslated genre terms do look similar.

No, its not a small difference to say wuxia aka martial heroes- martial arts is mostly like Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan movies (enemies punch fast and use odd looking weapons, protag either uses a sword, fists or weirdest weapon possible and hits faster and dodges better. Sometimes they punch through stone or jump from thinnest pine tree branches).

Wuxia - Fighters. Think D&D feats like monk ones.

Xianxia aka immortal heroes- enlightenment and spells. The fact most authors are trolls and write a bizarro mix of wuxia xianxia (you know it. Punches harder and faster and lives longer. Wish fulfillment elements of both worlds) is no excuse as there are plenty novels where an MC actually keeps figuring out spells or seeks enlightenment separately from battle strength (as in cultivation and greater ability to fight are separate things to improve in).

I Shall Seal The Heavens is a pretty good example. Meng Hao pushes into Foundation Building from Qi Refining. It takes hints from some ruins defense mechanisms he imitates for him to fgiure out his new tool (spiritual sense) can empower his spells amd attacks and how to do it.

Xianxia - Wizards. Think reality bending.

People on NUF having no coue about Jin Yong is a matter of their reading choice. Also of if they even pay attention to authors to keep track of related reading material.

For Jin Yong, here.

https://www.novelupdates.com/nauthor/jin-yong/ things on the list say 1 chapter. Wrong. Its the entire work re-release compiled into a single link. Demi Gods Semi Devils as example has at least 40ish chapters, maybe 50.

Its been a while since I read it.

6. ToastedRossi

Reading List:
    Link
    Different tastes are different tastes. If these kinds of books aren't getting readers on NU, then translators aren't going to touch them. Just because they may share some themes with books that are popular doesn't necessarily mean that they have the same kind of appeal.

If the book shows up on NU, it can usually be found using the Chinese title.

My point isn't to show that Jin Yong isn't translated. It's to show up the difference between NU and Chinese audiences.

The biggest difference is that these genres work in completely different ways. For example, xianxia novels are obsessed with the protagonist constantly gaining new power and getting stronger and stronger. This exists somewhat in wuxia, but it's never the focus, and there are a ton of wuxia novels where it doesn't happen at all. It's easy to try to define genres by what kind of powers they exhibit, but it's just flat out wrong, and that's why few people on NU have any idea what wuxia is.

7. Greater thunder

Reading List:
    Link
    You could tell people on NU wuxia is an actual motive driven story where xianxia is a competitive MMORPG, and some would still go away with question marks from that.

8. ToastedRossi

Reading List:
    Link
    I think that the problem with trying to define wuxia is that it's easy to pick on the martial arts and powers. But this is a red herring becasue these only act as framing devices for whatever stories that the wuxia author wants to tell. It doesn't help that a lot of people in the West will associate the wuxia genre with martial arts films - the problem is that these films don't do a very good job of communicating wuxia; especially modern wuxia.

The association with xianxia only muddies things because that genre really is defined by powers. And so it's easy to assume that xianxia and wuxia are much the same thing with the obvious difference being power levels. That assumption may have been correct when xianxia was originally codified but it hasn't been true for a very long time. And that's because xianxia has changed; not wuxia.

9. Greater thunder

Reading List:
    Link
    @ToastedRossi saying one genre has no immmortals whatsoever is really simple.

In fact, I have little idea why I am still trying to transmit how simple it is.

Its never really about the story. I don't care about knight novels, sure as hell don't care why the chinese version is about punching people.

DemiGods SemiDevils is a bit representative of the following.

Wuxia is peppered with tragedy. Its how the conflicts therein are perpetual while scores of generations of characters die off, but their grudges keep on spawning new ones.

Old xianxia also had that. Lot of new webnovel xianxia is just junk, whatever its using as fodder.

Back to DG SD- hated 2 of 3 protags. Because the 2 are your typical "fell off cliff, met random master/carving" lucky sons of bitches and have happy ends (its not what they pursued, but they just moan a little about it).

Then there's the guy who lost his parents as a baby to an ambush, got raised in enemy lines by one of the murderers, rose to prominence with hard work, talent and good character, had it all ruined by a spurned woman (he didn't wanna cuck his friend with his ho wife so she digs up the origin that he is "barbarian") and ends up an outcast.

Two paragraphs of summarized suffering omitted later.

Its been a while so I forgot if the third hero of the story dies or not.

This isn't much different from any greek myth ending in tragedy after lots of death.

Its very different in tools characters use to advance their agendas (besides typical scheming, deus ex machina items and gifts or prophecies,.....) for said events to happen.

I am not gonna explain further, because if the person who asked me wants to read, they will read.

If its the opposite, I could spin them tales and what not for hours and have it be wasted.

So yes, I explain based on most primitive worldbuilding tools, leaving all else a surprise.