Discussion Tragedy genre_opinion???

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by falcon92, Jan 5, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. falcon92

falcon92 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So
    just thought about it. (for reincarnation or transport to another world stories)
    will you prefer a story with no deaths of MC's family or friends during the story (no tragedy what so ever)
    a happy story with MC growing up
    fighting, getting stronger, something stupid like getting a harem (I really dislike this harem genre)

I hear a lot of people drop a good novel just because of a death of one character
    OK, some stories come out of nowhere
    one chapter everything was nice and the next one, BOOM your family is dead

how will it be if the tragedy happened before the story start
    will that make a difference
    or will you prefer to know the relationship between the MC and whomever died to understand the development

What I don't like is that most stories the MC is very lucky
    he may got some difficulties here and there
    but by some miracle, he survive or defeat the villain

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  2. Zeph

Zeph 'Popcorn Missing' - Reward if Returned

Reading List:
    Link
    I like tragedies that happened before the story begins, in the beginning of the story, during the story, and the ending as well. It makes the MC more mature and value what s/he has around them.

Arcturus likes this.
  3. Shance

Shance 『Trying to evade the wall in the front』『Failing』

Reading List:
    Link
    I normally dont drop a series if that happens, but if the author kills a character that was very well done and that I grew atached to, well I would explode...

4. EienMugetsuTensho

EienMugetsuTensho [Avid Reader] [C#, C++, Python Programmer]

Reading List:
    Link
    I think you mean genre instead of gender.

JarJarThinks, Sinvin, Gadget and 6 others like this.
  5. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep The laziest and the King of Procrastination

Reading List:
    Link
    I like those heart warming stories like death march in which no ones of the "goods" die I know it's childish but I don't care. Plus I don't really like all the harem stuff

6. xacual

xacual Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't mind tragedy or character deaths as long as the deaths have a purpose. I don't like it when a character dies and causes huge ripples all over the plot of the story but then the author makes it obvious that the character is just going to come back, it makes all the effects of their death and stuff feel utterly pointless and a waste of time. I feel like if you are going to write a character's death and make it feel like a tragedy that the death happened, don't go back on it by just having them come back, it makes it feel like the whole plot while they were gone was just a cheap way to extend the story.

Arcturus, Gadget and falcon92 like this.
  7. Star Collapse

Star Collapse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on how well done the tragedy is cause in some novels it just seems quite forced which makes the story rather off putting.

8. EienMugetsuTensho

EienMugetsuTensho [Avid Reader] [C#, C++, Python Programmer]

Reading List:
    Link
    I may drop a series if I character I really liked died (Fuuka). I don't read a lot of tragedies because of that reason. I prefer if the deaths of the family is backstory and not continuous.

I don't mind harems but I prefer when the MC knows he has a harem. If the MC is really dense it gets annoying but it is funny if the MC is pretending to be dense (Long Live Summons).

Cupcake Ninja and Gadget like this.
  9. True.Sadist

True.Sadist The Icy Q of [♦️], The Nickname Goddess

Reading List:
    Link
    As long as the story is good, I don't really care if a character dies unless the author kills them needlessly/in a cliché way. I think you get used to it tbh once you are know a series/author well enough.

10. True.Sadist

Reading List:
    Link
    The clone was why I dropped that manga. Should that have been spoiler tagged?

11. Zeph

Zeph 'Popcorn Missing' - Reward if Returned

Reading List:
    Link
    FUUKA DIES?!

12. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    Tragedy gives flavour to any novels..as long as the one that dies isnt the MC.. but all MC ussually have plot armors anyway..

13. True.Sadist

Reading List:
    Link
    yes. She gets replaced (kind of) by another girl singer that is "coincidentally" called fuuka

14. kydomos

kydomos Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i like tragedy as long as it inspires the main character to get stronger (of course by training can't be expecting miracles to happen ]

15. NGCleric

NGCleric Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I haven't read a lot of novels, but I tend to avoid the tragedy genre. I don't have anything against character deaths if they are written well, but I have three times come across a story that does not contain the tragedy tag, yet has the death of a character. I dropped each of them, two of them because the deaths of the characters were not only completely random, but the deaths were written in such a way that seemed completely stupid. The last one was simply cause I didn't care for the direction the plot was going, but I understand why people would enjoy the story still (basically, it didn't ruin the story the way the others did). Character deaths can be used to help grow other characters or advance plot, but when it's obvious the author wanted to force the character dead, it puts me off. Especially when the death causes me to actually dislike the other characters more. It has happened.

16. Atros

Atros Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't mind well written tragedy, but one of the things I really dislike is when an author kills a side-character with almost no development in the story, and then goes on this long tear about how it's massively changing the MC's life or the scenario or what have you. Giving a character meaning after killing it feels cheesy, it works better when the character has some relevance to the story before dying.

Shio and falcon92 like this.
  17. Slimikyi

Slimikyi ^____^

Reading List:
    Link
    What are you talking about?! Who is Fuuka?

Back on topic, I don't mind tragedy if it's done right. Like others said, if the author kills off a character for no good reason (or even a lazy reason), I might explode. If the author just kills characters off right other chapter, that's not a tragedy.

To me, there's a difference between a real tragedy and a tragedy used as a trope. Like to give the MC motivation, his/her family dies. That is a trope to make him/her stronger. That is not really a tragedy to me. There is and shouldn't be any emotional bonding between the reader and the character.

Example
    MC's waifu gets killed. She has a rather strong story and character. But she was killed. Between a trope and a tragedy, I feel it's more of a trope.

I like real tragedies. I like tragedy twists. And I don't care for tragedy tropes. Authors can spam them as much as they want.

18. sal880612m

sal880612m As I thought, love was a status effect! ~ICDS

Reading List:
    Link
    There is death and then there is tragedy. I don't object to character death, but I don't like tragedy. I don't read to feel depressed, I don't need to read to feel depressed, I don't want to feel depressed because I read something. I guess for me it's when they story becomes about the main character always failing or always losing people that I get tired of it. The best way to put it would be if I lose hope that the mc or my favourite character will ever get a happy ending I will give up on the story.

19. falcon92

falcon92 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks

Yes,
    at least kill the character at the beginning of the story and make the goal is to revive

20. Slimikyi

Slimikyi ^____^

Reading List:
    Link
    What if it's at the end? Like literally a tragic twist? Hehehehe, the whole novel was nice and normal till the last 2-3 chapters, are you going to drop it? But if you do read it, you'll end up depressed for the day or so.

falcon92 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.