Discussion Tragedy genre_opinion???

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by falcon92, Jan 5, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. valdesaga

valdesaga [IDN] [7thMay] [V]aldes

Reading List:
    Link
    tragic twist is better than a sudden drop story because of the death some character u,u

2. falcon92

falcon92 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nice explanation
    death to develop a character is better than the tragedy

Yeah
    repetitive won't make anyone enjoy
    but having it easy is rather boring I would say
    being lucky annoys me as well

the world doesn't revolve around the MC
    they need to mature after tasting what lost feels like
    that what I believe a good story should be

3. EienMugetsuTensho

EienMugetsuTensho [Avid Reader] [C#, C++, Python Programmer]

Reading List:
    Link
    Fuuka is the squeal to Suzuka. The manga are named after the main heroine but the main characters are male. Fuuka is the daughter of Suzuka. Fuuka starts a band with the MC (Yuu) and some friends.
    Shortly after Yuu and Fuuka start dating, while on her way to the first big gig as a band she is hit by a bus and killed. The manga continues on after she is dead.

4. Slimikyi

Slimikyi ^____^

Reading List:
    Link
    Great!! Good thing I dropped it ages ago. I thought the name sounded familiar...

I read Suzuka more than once and enjoyed it. But I don't know what Fuuka was and pretty much only know that it was by the same author. It got boring so I dropped it. Good thing though, I would totally not like the fact that Fuuka died and the story continued with a copycat named Fuuka. But I still don't like it from just knowing it. #$%@^$^#

Great, just great. I want to $#$^$#^&@$!$@ 10 pages more of rant.

EienMugetsuTensho likes this.
  5. NGCleric

NGCleric Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I know that feeling all too well. Read one story that killed a character in such a bad way that I ended up dropping the story completely. Felt it was a shame though since I was enjoying it up until that point.

6. Arcturus

Arcturus Cat, Hidden Sith Lord

Reading List:
    Link
    To be honest I really hate it when the author brings someone back. It usually is so contrived that I just want to kill the character(s) all over again. I like having Uncle Ben characters, when they die they stay dead and are motivation, memory, development in the characters' growth. Death is a part of life and I like a MC and novel mature enough to accept that.

7. ReaderBot

ReaderBot Android R-18 Series Winter Edition

Reading List:
    Link
    Tragedy is fine as long as it makes the characters grow.

8. NGCleric

Reading List:
    Link
    It's just a shame when writers think that they will accomplish this, but horrendously fail at doing so.

9. Arcturus

Reading List:
    Link
    It's worse imo when they try to bring people back. And with the rise of grimdark fantasy, generally the deaths are pretty well done. At least in fantasy books. I haven't read enough light novels and manga to make an informed opinion about their quality.

10. NGCleric

Reading List:
    Link
    They are pretty hit-or-miss. Some do it really well, and it comes down to preference for how much you like it. Others are just... bad. I've read a few that did the death-and-return of a character, but I personally didn't think they were done poorly.

11. Nimbus

Nimbus Vagantem Numen, Lord of Riddles

Reading List:
    Link
    This One prefers orphan MC, just so that the whole novel would not be about loved ones this and that.

The protagonists usually can't let go off their so called loved ones and tries to put them inside little cages and babysit them all novel long. That is just annoying to read.

Perhaps if parents art around and is handled like in DE it's fine.

Arcturus likes this.
  12. Cupcake Ninja

Cupcake Ninja [Kind Sage][Lord Benevolence][ The Great Paragon]

Reading List:
    Link
    A character can always be revived through some kind of bull shit. I don't really grieve over them unless I really grow attached to them. Like Fuuka, as someone mentioned. How was that manga btw? Like, does it get better after?

Anyway, I like when the death makes the MC more mature. I think the Legend of Maian or whatever was a good example of that. The MC seemed a lot better and cool after his woman's supposed death. I wonder if it is still being translated.

13. LivingCorpse

LivingCorpse Half-dead Neighborhood's Undead

Reading List:
    Link
    I like it when the MC is in despair...
    I am a bad person...

14. JarJarThinks

JarJarThinks Addicted to Monster Hunter Generations

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends, The Song of Ice and Fire is a great example of tragedy, however, the very nature of how the deaths are very sudden makes me grow so distant to the characters, that I had to stop reading the series.

The Walking Dead (TV) is a very poor example of tragedy IMO, characters dying left and right (was better when the deaths were spaced out a lot more) makes all the characters, once again, very distant.

Kuro no Maou spent something like 40+ chapters developing a village, only to slaughter everyone save the MC's partners. Though in this case, it's more on how the MC survived being slaughtered rather than the slaughtering itself, along with how the MC was pretty bland tbh, and entered extremely dangerous situations (namely attacking OP enemy by himself) and didn't get punished for it. I also realized that the author was going to pull the "build a bunch of characters to be wiped out later" card again.

As for something I LIKE, Elven Blood played the tragedy very well, killing off the MC's home, loved ones and even watching his younger sister get raped(!), furthermore, he died and then brought back in a way that doesn't break the universe. This traumatic experience then haunts him for the rest of the novel, with many allusions to the slaughtering of his village throughout. And then the author
    brought back the MC's sister as a mindless puppet controlled by the elves, cause they are a bunch of disrespectful assholes

In conclusion (what is this? An academic paragraph?), good tragedies in stories should be very rare, traumatic experiences that haunt the MC, the characters shouldn't be replaced (characters that try to fill the void should already be established, and important), and the characters that die shouldn't be random throwaways as it decreases the impact of all future attempts.

Arcturus likes this.
  15. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    Kuro no maou . Best tragedy ive redt. :p

16. Arcturus

Reading List:
    Link
    I definitely agree with you on how I grew distant with the character of ASOIAF because of all the deaths. And yeah, I definitely agree with you that tragic deaths should be key traumatic and shaping experiences that don't happen all the time ala Uncle Ben or Jason Todd. But the thing is some revivals feel like complete BS.
    The revival of basically Linley's entire family and friends from when he was young was stupid. Killing them off in the first place was kinda meh especially cuz they were basically all killed off screen. Basically Linley screwed up and his family an friends paid for it. Fine, that works with the novel. But then you let him revive them all and it gets annoying. Especially because he should have pissed of the ruler of the Netherworld sufficiently that she just boots him out imo. And they even brought Bebe's parents back who we've never even met before. Bringing his mother back from the Chief Sovereign of Light was the only revival I felt fit the story. And Doehring staying dead also fit the story well.
    But there are other books where deaths move me and the characters greatly. And they fit really well. While that is not always the case, I feel that its use is modern fantasy novels is done much better than character revival schemes. Of course, Light novels being what they are, often the deaths are contrived and I guess revival doesn't really hurt the story cuz they were side characters, who ware so often poorly done anyway.

17. RougeAsura

RougeAsura Rayus

Reading List:
    Link
    Who's MC's wife??

18. sal880612m

sal880612m As I thought, love was a status effect! ~ICDS

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll never read it again. I will also likely avoid works by that author in the future. I won't recommend the story to anyone, and if I do I will recommend they borrow it (or otherwise acquire it for free) because I don't consider it worth the money they would need to spend on it.

Asf likes this.
  19. Slimikyi

Slimikyi ^____^

Reading List:
    Link
    Read the spoiler tag, Desolated Era's MC's wife.

Wow, so much...hate. xD Fair enough, you're entitled to your hatred against tragedies. But yeah, it can bum many people out.

20. Slimikyi

Slimikyi ^____^

Reading List:
    Link
    So after all these complaints by some, does anyone have any good tragedies?

As I said, death of someone to motivate someone to get stronger or for revenge isn't the best kind of tragedies out there. I mean the depressing kind, not the annoying kind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.