News Translating 吞海 (Swallowing the Sea/PoYun2)

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by _ice, Feb 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _ice

_ice Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello everyone,

I am here to announce that I plan to translate Swallowing the Sea (吞海/Tun Hai), currently better known as Po Yun 2. Spoilers: https://forum.novelupdates.com/thre...ng-through-the-clouds-2-swallowing-sea.88712/

I have previously planned on picking up SAYE, but due to miscommunication with the previous translator, it currently seems like I won't be able to do that anymore. Since that is the case, I hope to be able to take this up as my personal project instead. If anybody has any objections and/or want to take over the translations instead, please tell me now. I don't want to end up starting on translations just to find that someone has already updated the day before I announced all over again. It's incredibly disheartening.

I don't want to fight over a translation with anybody. If nobody objects to this within a week then I hope I will be able to start on translating. Thank you.

2. AnonymousWildAster

AnonymousWildAster Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
  3. mejojo

mejojo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh ;_; I'm bummed to learn it happened this way. Hope they at least won't disappear again, if they don't want others to take over.

I've seen there's some interest in people wanting to see Poyun 2 translated, but nothing about anyone picking it up, so I don't think anyone would suddenly pop up and start translating it. Good luck with the project!

4. _ice

_ice Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you for your support! ^^;

I may still co-translate with them depending on whether not they reply; the previous translator asked me if I was willing to co-translate, I answered yes but only under the condition that they make regular updates. When I had given them a week to respond, they didn't reply until yesterday, so now I can't be sure whether or not they will reply again. If they don't and won't continue to update... I may take over the translations anyways. If they do, then that'd be for the best.

mejojo likes this.
  5. mejojo

mejojo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They know that you want to (co)/translate it and you contacted them, so it's only fair. I hope everything will work out!
    This post motivated me to finish mtl'ing PoYun 1 :cookie:

6. unlimitedmtlworks

unlimitedmtlworks Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello, I was wondering if you were still planning to translate this novel? Because it seems like your wattpad has been deleted

7. _ice

_ice Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah, sorry for the late reply.

That's strange, I haven't actually been on my Wattpad account in months so I don't know for what reason it could be deleted for (if it actually is). If it is deleted, there actually isn't much need for concern because I've never actually planned on posting on Wattpad in the first place but on my Wordpress blog that's actually still under construction (which is the reason why for the VERY delayed-release)...

To clarify things, I still plan on translating Tunhai and have added a few other novels onto my list which are dropped/updating extremely slowly. I am currently waiting for 1.) my blog to be finished and 2.) to stock up on some chapters before I start posting as I have only just graduated from high school and am finally free of all the homework...

I know that I have made a lot of people wait for a very long time but I hope everyone remains patient, I promise that I am definitely translating this novel and won't be dropping it.

8. unlimitedmtlworks

unlimitedmtlworks Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you for reply and congratulations on your graduation :blob_pompom:
    I really want Poyun series and author to get more english speaking fans, so I was planning to MTL chapter 1 as a teaser, in case anyone got interested in picking it up for translation; so I'm really happy to know you've picked it up already. I'm looking forward to it!
    As for wattpad, I'm not sure what's going on with it?? I noticed Shameless Gangster translator linking it on their wattpad a month or two ago, but the link didn't work.

Btw if the first novel is on your list, please let me know so I could stop uploading releases on NU blobmelt_thumbs

9. _ice

_ice Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you!! :aww:

Oh, so are you the mtl translator who had mtled the first arc of PoYun on Google Docs and linked it to NU?? I was actually wondering if I could still post PoYun as well (long story short: when I had announced that I was picking up TunHai, another translator asked if I could pick up PoYun as well because the current translator wasn't really updating it anymore so I thought "why not?" and got myself the raws through a friend) but I didn't know how to contact you. Since I now know your attitude, I feel more than happy to continue translating it hehe~ :blobhero:

If you'd like, would you like to work together?? I still have two other group projects that I'm working on along with TunHai, so although I am much freer now thanks to graduating, it can still be a bit hectic. Since I am a raw translator, I am rather particular with the accuracy of my translations but can often wander into the Chinglish category thanks to that :blobsweat_2: (from staring at the raws for too long...) so I have actually been looking for an editor to help me. Would you like to still work on the project by being an editor??

Ah yes, the translator for Shameless Gangster also works with me on SAYE (which we post on her blog as well). She decided to link my Wattpad on one of her posts to promote my translation of TunHai when it gets released but Wattpad does fudge up a lot... Well, I never really planned to post on Wattpad too though so it isn't a big deal. :blobsweat: Still super grateful to her though.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  10. unlimitedmtlworks

unlimitedmtlworks Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Omg I'm sorry for the late reply, sometimes NU notifications just don't show up unless I click on the notification icon myself.

Yeah, it's me but its quality is still very questionable haha. At some point I even considered commissioning someone to translate certain chapters in the future :sweating_profusely: So hearing that you've decided to pick it up makes me really happy. Your translations of Saye are wonderful and are a joy to read (and so is the work by other Saye translators!!), so I'm sure you'll do a great job here too!! I've seen a lot of interest in the novel online, but people mostly don't pick it up because the tl is still on ch 23~.

I'd be really happy to work together, but it's going to be my first time as editor so if you find my work lacking, I can always help looking for new editors in PoYun tag on twitter :blobbunny:

Before stopping uploading releases, I'm planning to upload ch 40 for those who were following the MTL, because the previous chapter has ended on a cliffhanger and I'm pretty sure ch 40 would be the end of the first arc. Would it be okay for me to mention that you've picked it up in the document itself?
    Your choice of the novels to translate is amazingblobmelt_thumbs

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
  11. _ice

_ice Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hehe... It's alright, I didn't receive a notification for your reply either for some reason... :blobsweat:

Thank you so much for the praise!! :aww: It really makes my day when people say that they enjoy my translations since that is the whole reason why I'm translating after all (letting people enjoy these masterpieces of books). Even if you aren't a professional, I'll still be happy for the extra helping hand (since it would still be better than me working on it on my own lol). Plus, I can tell that you love the series too so I'm sure that you'll pour as much effort into it as I do~ :blobwink:

Of course it's alright! It would also give me some more time to prepare too, hehe... :blobsweat_2: I was originally planning on starting over from chapter 1, but since that's the case then I'll pick up from chapter 41 and add a link to your translations on the table of contents on my site.

Oh yeah, do you have a discord account? If you make one then it would be much easier for us to communicate to each other than on NU lol.

(P.S. so glad to see somebody else loving my choice in books hehe~ :blobpats:)

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  12. unlimitedmtlworks

unlimitedmtlworks Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wuzhe, Huaishang and Feitian are ones of the best danmei writers I've read, so reading them in quality translations is a double joy:blobbunny: I haven't started AWM, but it being one of your project tells me it's really good too!

I'll be happy to help in any way:aww: Please take your time, there's no hurry! I uploaded chapter 40 with the announcement and I'll add the link to your blog whenever it's ready, I'm also going to slowly fix the earlier chapters because I had no idea what I was doing (not that I have now).

Haha, agreed about discord, so here's mine - yanxiesmom#6040 :blobjoy:

13. _ice

_ice Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hehe, I feel flattered with your trust :blobpats: I definitely agree with that statement, those authors are some of my favourite authors! AWM is definitely also a gem! I couldn't just leave it dropped and unknown in the western danmei community...!

I've sent a friend request to you on discord! It's definitely gonna make communicating a lot more efficient... especially since NU wouldn't show me that you replied till at least 4-5 hours later every time.... :blobexpressionless: Let's talk more on discord, I'm excited to work with you~! :blobhero:

P.S.

My username is Ice#1889

14. AurumRiviera

AurumRiviera Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I am really glad that someone is picking this up! It is one of my favorites in the crime/drama genre and I am happy that you are translating!!

15. Yandere Devil

Yandere Devil QUEEN OF YURI- Love GL

Reading List:
    Link
    How I wish you translator picked GL novel too like historical genre like female general and eldest princess.
    too much attention and love for BL. I want GL Novel to get picked up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.