Translating without contacting the author

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by Takeba, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    If they don't reply, it usually means they either don't really care (or have no problem with you translating) or they can't understand what you're trying to say. Usually, if you're not making money from your translations (coffee donations are tips and considered okay as opposed to chapterly commissions) , it's fine to translate if they don't give a reply.

But if you're intending to make this a business and don't get explicit permission to make money off your translation, then it's not considered a permission. Is it okay to continue? That depends on your sense of ethics, do as you wish. Just don't pass it off as if you're a fan translator when you're not. And don't justify that you're doing the right thing, because you're definitely not.

I myself sent plenty of mails for permission. Most of them didn't send a reply. And those who did send a reply mostly replied after a few months. Most of the time, the replies were something along the lines of "Okay if you don't make money" or "Even if I say no, you're going to do it anyway". I have received one letter telling me to stop translating his story, probably because he couldn't understand what I said in our chats and thought my translation was shit.

2. Takeba

Takeba Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So if I ask for donations from the reader on ly when they feel like it without me offering any extra chapters and whatnot, will it be considered OK? (My mind is kind of overloading from all the info in this thread and I'm still trying to reread them to understand them.)

3. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    hmm most translators are asking for donations or something similar to it. I think that what most of other poster here meant to say that it's kinda all right as long as you don't ask to be paid formally for each of your translation.

Ai chan likes this.
  4. Takeba

Takeba Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Now, that, I can understand. Thanks. I will keep all these things in mind. Thank you.

5. MrMartinke

MrMartinke New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, you are allowed to translate a novel without requesting permission and you are the copyright owner of the translated work. However, in most countries you own the copyright of the translated work, but you are not allowed to publish it to the public without the permission of the original publisher/author.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    Ai chan likes this.
  6. JerryHatrick

JerryHatrick Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel like it's fine unless it's impacting the income of the author. When they plan/start to release their story in English or if they personally (or someone representing them) contacts you to stop, then go for it. I also think accepting donations is fine. After all, it's the translator who has spent time and effort translating it. I don't see a problem if people want to give that person money to encourage faster releases. Personally, if I ended up making any significant amount of money, would probably end up feeling guilty and try to contact the author to give them a donation.

I do think that translator's have a responsibility to provide a reasonable quality translation so they don't risk affecting the author's reputation. Saying that, I've only come across two translators who are so bad they should just stop.

7. RyouDou

RyouDou Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree to this, but I have issue with the way the publishers speak of "lots of lost money", because you can't loose what you never had when there was not even a possibility to have it. Most of the people going for fan-translations are not going to pay for the contents even if it would be available for purchase. I'm talking from my personal experience. It took years before I had a financial situation that I could and was ready to pay for anime and it largely was thanks to Crunchyroll that makes it affordable. I'm just not invested enough in most of it to spend money on it (and it can require significant exposure to get interested enough).

Another issue is availability of the original content in international market, especially digital versions (I have no space at home for all the manga, books or DVDs I could otherwise have). I'm not aware of any online ebook store for manga in Japanese that would sell for international audience. Also, e.g., Kobo ebook store's offering for literature in Japanese (when buying from outside of Japan) is just plain sad. I would like the publishers to address these issues before they start whining and moaning about lost revenue. I would like to support the authors but how can I (without mailing a bank check to them directly) if I can't buy digital versions from outside of Japan? Regional locking just doesn't make sense for me, be it for original or a translation in any language.