Request Translators Bring Out Your Ferraris

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Wujigege, Jul 26, 2020.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Defiring

Defiring Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Translators getting greedy and ignoring the environment the second they get that sweet sweet million dollar.

[​IMG]

DjB1, runsing and Wujigege like this.
  2. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    For Premium ad networks like App Nexus maybe.
    For sites like yours with over 10 million monthly views maybe but not average websites on 1 million monthly views with standard ad networks who take as much as 40% of your earnings

3. Defiring

Defiring Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Dude, where'd you find an ad network that takes 40%? Adsense takes literally 68%.

4. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    I apologize for not providing links.
    I didn't say every network takes 40%.
    But its more common than you think

https://www.monetizemore.com/blog/ad-network-review-adblade/

Especially for websites that didn't get approved by Adsense and had to make do with lesser-known ad networks.

I am speaking from experience. I did not get approved by Adsense on the first try

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
  5. rwxwuxiaworld

rwxwuxiaworld Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think defiring means his ad networks take even more than 40%... could be wrong though.

Well, we didn't start off with massive views; it started off with just lil old me. For that matter, WW's RPM was much higher when we had lower total views, because more of those views were unique rather than repeat views. For a small site, I think an RPM of around $0.50 is completely reasonable and easily doable.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  6. userunfriendly

userunfriendly A Wild Userunfriendly Appears!

Reading List:
    Link
    Wujigege likes this.
  7. Vanidor

Vanidor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    userunfriendly and Wujigege like this.
  8. userunfriendly

userunfriendly A Wild Userunfriendly Appears!

Reading List:
    Link
  9. xTachibana

xTachibana Wincest King

Reading List:
    Link

Assuming ad revenue for WP works exactly as it does for YT (and it probably is super similar), even aside from the whole unique viewers, I have noticed that ad companies seem to, for some reason, bid less per 1000 views on large channels? I recently had a pretty nice spike in views (avg views per user/unique views stayed same), but my CPM/RPM dropped by about 40-50%.....

10. Arzvak

Arzvak Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Are you using wordpress ads? I remember a lot of people saying that these ads actually do not differentiate between no. of views. Normally the more views you have = the more RPM you have. This is for ads like Google AdX and other premium ads, for adsense it's basically the position where you place your ads at. I found Auto ads doing amazing work, but let me tell they put ads in weird places lol. You should try looking for some ad companies which might roll you in on their networks even with around 500k views and then you can slowly get accepted by other premium networks as you grow.

11. rwxwuxiaworld

Reading List:
    Link
    COVID increased number of people online but murdered advertising rates.

DjB1 likes this.
  12. xTachibana

xTachibana Wincest King

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think YT offers the ability to change ad companies lol (YT = Youtube if you didn't catch it)

Thing is, my rate was actually increasing from every single month from Dec to late June. Only when I broke through around July (Hit Houtian) did my ad rates suddenly plummet. But anyhow, that in itself is already a version of what I am talking about. For some reason, they pay less when there are more eyeballs, whether as a whole, or a part of a sum (IE total amt of people online, OR just your viewer numbers increasing).

13. Arzvak

Arzvak Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah, yt, yt uses google ads so yeah, gotta stay with em.

Well, companies advertise and whyy would most of em do it when there are no returns. I read about this in Econ class, it's amazinghere these models can take countries.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2020
  14. rwxwuxiaworld

Reading List:
    Link
    Seriously?! If anyone else was telling me this, I’d call them a liar. I’ve NEVER seen a Q1 where revenue was higher than Q4 of the previous year; the drop from Dec to Jan in particular is usually like a 3x crash. Is it possible that you made some changes to your ad stack? More higher paying ads like videos, pops, etc.?

15. Arzvak

Arzvak Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Or could be the number of views increasing? Oh also that post about smaller parties getting more RPM is for Adsense ig? Because the diff. between people click ads, I've just seen CPM going up using AdX with amount of impressions, that's why some companies have deals with websites getting millions of users a day ig.

16. rwxwuxiaworld

Reading List:
    Link
    AdX beats the pants out of AdSense to begin with, it has a much larger demand pool. AdX basically = AdSense + all Google-connected networks.

When I discussed smaller numbers, I'm just talking specifically about pageviews - as pageviews (especially pageviews per unique user) goes up, CPM/RPM goes down.

17. Arzvak

Arzvak Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah I know that, after all AdX is google's golden baby lol. Anyways, never knew the CPM would decrease for pageviews per unique user, that doesn't make so much sense, any sources? Cuz as far as I can see, getting above 1$ rpm for ww would be really easy. And also more pageviews and lower bounce rates, usually means more engagement, advertisers would love that. Correct me if I'm wrong though lol, don't have hands on exp lel. Have ya guys tried approaching certain companies directly?? Considering WW gets 80 million views a month, I don't think any company would want to reject advertising directly on WW.

18. rwxwuxiaworld

Reading List:
    Link
    So it doesn't work like that. Consider this - advertisers aren't stupid. They know that if you show one person the same ad over and over again, that person is less likely to pay attention to it or click on it. Thus, the amount of money they 'bid' on that person goes down with every pageview within X hours (usually 24-48). The 'first' pageview for that user in those X hours is worth the most; after that, it goes lower and lower and lower. Since the vast majority of our users read multiple chapters a day, and there are three or so ad slots per chapter, their 'ad value' quickly drops.

High user engagement is a good thing, but then keep in mind that once you go to a certain site repeatedly, something called 'banner blindness' sets in, reducing engagement further. Since our users have been around for years, banner blindness is a very real thing, and they stop clicking on ads unless something really draws their attention. Then factor in Wuxiaworld not generally having the most attention-drawing/obnoxious ads (popups, autoplay videos with sound, in-chapter ads) and banner blindness becomes even more of an issue.

As for direct deals, we get those occasionally but very rarely, and they are not a self-renewing resource, esp. when you combine the above. In the end, Wuxiaworld just isn't very big in the grand scheme of things; our users just punch too far above their weight, generating a lot of pageviews that don't translate into a lot of money. It has been a long, long, looooong time since we've gotten anywhere even close to a $1 RPM.

WhiteMoonlight likes this.
  19. Arzvak

Arzvak Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Aish, It does make sense, (cause I don' take a look at banner on wuxia easily as well lol), but google does an amazing job in finding relevant ads too lol, I talked in this thread about hosting yesterday and now my browser is filled with all the hosting in the world loooool. Also adpushup lel.

20. NodiX

NodiX Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Since you're the big boss of the biggest wn site, I'd like to recommend you to look into things to make your own micropayment to help set trend for other sites in the future. I'm not talking Chinese WN-like micropayment that unlocks per chapter basis, but one that has the capability to pay even less than $1 without having to worry about payment processors' fees, which would later open more viable business plan and use cases than the ones we currently have right now. It's possible with new technologies like Interledger and Open Payment (which has chance to become a web standard in the future), and which is currently being developed in a W3C community group and has its own emerging foundation.

These are rather new techs and still heavily in development, so currently there's only demos and experimentations, but here I'll point out what it can do:

1. Go to demo wallet rafiki.money, sign up, top up fake money, and copy payment pointer to clipboard
    2. Go to demo e-merchant flix.rafiki.shop, subscribe with newly acquired payment pointer

Few things that I'd like to point out that, while the lowest subscription plan in the demo cost $2.99, billing even 10x smaller than that actually is still profitable because of their low cost fees (the company that involved in the project claim the technology able to process payment 10000x smaller than credit card payments). In the subscription demo, the payment interval actually 1 minute rather than 1 month, so making smaller subscription plan per week / per day / per hour won't be a problem at all.

It's also worth to note that the technology behind this is open source, and already been reviewed by central banks (UK Central bank's proof of concept, joint research European Central Bank and Bank of Japan). So while involvement of banks in international scale might slow due their need to consider legal and compliance issues, digital wallet startups might look into it faster. Pretty soon there's might a surge of potential paid users from countries that have low credit card and bank penetration rate (Africa countries, Malaysia, Indonesia, Philippines, etc), as they could top up their digital wallets as easy from nearest convenience store, and in turn, use these digital wallets to pay for subscription in international-based websites. Preparing cheaper plans and easier payment from today might be a good idea to welcome this upcoming trend.

As for me, here I'm currently looking to see whether I can develop computable and transparent robust revenue sharing system with the technology, and I'm interested to see whether I can adopt micro content tipping system that can send around 1~5 cents per click and can be spammed like Medium's clap system. I have made progress with revsharing (since it's pretty easy to do with Web Monetization API), but my crappy 4gb win 10 laptop and suck internet connection made it very hard for me to join their test network to develop the said micro tipping system. I'll probably make a thread later if I have some more progress on this.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    Kiki0246, DjB1 and Hamza like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.