Discussion Translators failing to work together and that disgusting 3 month rule

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Euphmoria, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Euphmoria

Euphmoria Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Are we reading for free? If we are the leeches who give the translators absolutely nothing then whether or not we exist shouldn't matter RIGHT?
    So why don't I see any translators translating things that no one reads? Instead you have tonnes of unprofessional fan "translators" who claim all the popular novels and never get any actual progress.

Why can't the readers demand another translator pick up the novel? The old translator can continue to translate if they wish to do so to "improve their understanding of the knowledge" or "for their own enjoyment", NOTHING IS STOPPING THEM IS THERE?

So really? You're gonna sit there and tell me "these kind of newbies are one of the ones responsible for destroying the community?"
    The community doesn't want to wait decades to finish a novel because a fan translator can only translate a 1500 chapter novel at a rate of 2 ch/week.
    The community doesn't want to spend money on a novel that they will never read the conclusion of
    The community doesn't want to put up with "fan translators" who do no work and still ask for money
    The community is sick and tired of having to put a novel off for months just so they can read an entire arc at once
    The community is fed up with forgetting what happened in the last chapter because it was released a month ago

YOU ARE THE ONES WHO ARE DESTROYING THE COMMUNITY
    YOU who spits on the cake(novel) so no one else can have it
    YOU who fails to see that the community needs content to keep it alive
    YOU who think you're great and almighty
    YOU and people who think like you are the CANCER that's going to be why fan translations will no longer exist in the future

So instead of being all high and mighty and condemning the fan base, why not acknowledge that translators DO get SOMETHING, be it emotional satisfaction of having people read their work, or the psychological satisfaction that they are contributing to a group, or even the monetary rewards?

Plenty of translators pull in $200+ USD per month just from donations and patreon alone. Some get over $1000 USD a month, doing what? Sitting at their home, translating novels whenever they want. Is it hard work, of course it is, I've tried translating and as a semi-fluent mandarin/simplified reader I understand it's hard work, but you know what?

IT SURE AS HECK BEATS WORKING MINIMUM WAGE at some crappy job you don't like, you get to decide your own hours, you get to decide what you wear to work, you get to decide when to take a break.

Do I WANT to pay Qidian instead of my fellow fans? Heck no, but if it means actually being able to finish a novel I like faster than a decade, then I'll do it. I'm willing to pay 5, 10, 15, 20 a month for 2 releases per day on my favorite novels, and I can promise you I'm not the only one. Once the paying readers who currently donate switch to Qidian there will be even less motivation for current translators to continue.

Do you know why none of the anime companies have ever bothered to sell English subs even though animes are a heck of a lot harder to translate? (translating audio, type setting, timing, etc) Because the fans release the subs in a timely manner (half a day usually) almost without fail. Do you know how the fan-subbers do that? BY WORKING TOGETHER.

Instead in the novel community we have geniuses who believe that it's better to have 1 translator per novel and that disgusting 3 month rule. So instead of ACTUALLY accomplishing something, we have hundreds on hundreds of novels that have never make it past 100 chapters and probably will never do so either.

Instead of working together and sharing the cake, you're all acting like rats who would rather chew at the crumbs just so you can say: "this is mine"

If this mentality doesn't change then Qidian will have the easiest time gaining market share and if the translation scene stays as it is, I am more than happy to see Qidian take over everything.

Seeing the response I've gotten in this thread, which is meant to be a rude wake up call. But based on the attitudes from the community, especially the translators, I can only forsee that Qidian will be very successful in the future.

And hey translators, Qidian or any other well organized group doesn't even have to pick up YOUR novel for your fan base to diminish, it just has to start translating something similar and you'll start hemorrhaging readers like a guy with a ruptured aneurysm. After all readers have lives too. We only have time to read so many chapters a day, I would much rather spend my time reading a well paced story than one that releases, once a week/month. I'd rather read a novel that has some hope of being completely translated than wasting my time reading something that would take 50+ years to finish translating, but hey maybe there are others out there who enjoy reading 100 expositions and 0 conclusions.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  2. LysUltima

LysUltima Riichi! Tsumo! Toitoi! Suuankou!?

Reading List:
    Link
    But are the people (ie minors, etc) who can't pay for the novels happy?
    I'd rather have slow releases than nothing at all.

Also, about the slow releases of tlers.
    I see what you mean by the ones that get hundreds from patreon/paypal, but (well, minimum wage is at least 5$/hour in america, so I sort of disagree with you on that too...) there are the ones who don't make any money at all and tl out of their own kindness.
    Are you blaming them for not tling enough when they get nothing in return?
    Are you blaming them for starting the novel in the first place?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  3. slightofhand

slightofhand Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Get over yourself

4. Khatulistiwa

Khatulistiwa An Egg Eternal

Reading List:
    Link
    Sooo, what's the TL;DR ?

fuzor100, Kokuyasou and Mufarasu like this.
  5. Vishaakha

Vishaakha Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

Shield Loyalist likes this.
  6. Loriel

Loriel [Aspiring Editor][Lover of BL][Pinata Smasher]

Reading List:
    Link
    Would you be fine sharing you significant other with others?

J-Mitch and kenar like this.
  7. Okuri Ookami

Okuri Ookami 'Chi Chi Chi' calls the Sparrow

Reading List:
    Link
    TL;DR friend TL;DR. You really need to shorten this up or give us a shortened summary. No one cares more about your opinion than you but there is no point in this if no one is bothered to read...

8. Euphmoria

Reading List:
    Link
    If translators worked together, they would get more donations (even after splitting it) and there would be more releases for all users, including those who can't pay to enjoy

Keep that attitude up and maybe Qidian will take off even faster, i'm not complaining

9. Deleted member 89812

Deleted member 89812 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Preach (y)

10. Ratatoskr

Ratatoskr [Aruruu's proud dad] [The False Gentleman]

Reading List:
    Link
    I never paid for anything, so when a translation stopped halfway its more of a "damn shame, it was a good one too. Oh well, carry on." kind of thing.
    Since the only thing i invested is my free time, i don't expect anything from a hobby.

11. SpiralGust

SpiralGust Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    :sweating_profusely:
    The wall of text is to big cannot comprehend

12. Cupcake Ninja

Cupcake Ninja [Kind Sage][Lord Benevolence][ The Great Paragon]

Reading List:
    Link
    THE TRUTH HATH BEEN SPOKEN!! PRAISE THE EVER-LOVING PRICK OF LORD LUCY, IT'S FINALLY BEEN SAID!

13. Euphmoria

Reading List:
    Link
    really? If you view it that way then aren't you posting nudes of your significant other all over the internet?

14. coveted

coveted Sexiest Banana Alive

Reading List:
    Link
    Didn't read. Too long
    .[​IMG]

15. Sircus

Sircus [Well-Known God]

Reading List:
    Link
    Nice OP. I find it funny that they are almost to late. Just a couple of years from now MTL will be good enough to only need an editor instead of a translator. Also don't forget the wave of new multilingual Chinese English speakers who would rather translate for very good money (in China) compared to sewing buttons on jeans 12 hours a day. Those are the ones who will most likely bring the end to the current scene not Qidan. Currently there is blood in the water, the sharks will come.

Ai chan, Spiritsong, SayMrrp and 2 others like this.
  16. anon1guy

anon1guy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    popcorn?

17. Nathan

Nathan Not-staving graduate

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol I don't care about your opinion. I'll just wait. Also since you are able to read Mandarin go to the Qidian website on baido and just read there. Why are you here. You said you're willing to pay right?

18. Raizu

Raizu An Enthusiastic Reader

Reading List:
    Link
    Uhh... What is happening here?

I'm sure most of JP translators don't get that much. :/
    Maybe you should edit this into "Plenty of CN translators".

Lonelycity, Wujigege, Jaded and 7 others like this.
  19. LysUltima

LysUltima Riichi! Tsumo! Toitoi! Suuankou!?

Reading List:
    Link
    Most tlers already took on something. It's really hard to find a free one that's willing to group up.
    Though, I technically am in a group................. (My Pet Is a Holy Maiden, but I can't tl often and the main tler is in college and has a job)
    And I'd be willing to group up with others for my main tl, but 99% of tlers have prior obligations.

20. Drakaos

Drakaos Member (Patriarch?) of the Anti-Qidian Sect

Reading List:
    Link
    Well then in that case, how do you propose that the translators work together? How would they be able to share the revenue and organize things in a manner so that several people can translate the same script without them intruding on each others work?

SayMrrp likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.