Discussion Translators failing to work together and that disgusting 3 month rule

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Euphmoria, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Osamaru

Osamaru 『Shem's Best Pal ✧ Lexi's Ani ✧ Hamster's Keeper』

Reading List:
    Link
    ( ̄▽ ̄)☕ Hohohohoho! This should be Fun. Can't wait!! *pats @blee8*

blee8 likes this.
  2. Yukkuri Oniisan

Yukkuri Oniisan 『Procrastinator Archwizard Translator and Writer』

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah........... It will take some time to translate it and I am rather busy this month.............

3. erichsamurai

erichsamurai Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ganbarudegozaimasuuuuuuuu

Was what I was going to say, but in front of someone who knows Japanese, I'll probably lose face.

4. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    *pat pat*
    Ganbatte Onii-san! I'll look forward to when you finish it, because it will mean the next Mira chapter will come sooner! \(^^)/

erichsamurai likes this.
  5. erichsamurai

erichsamurai Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Perfect words to fit the situation.
    I wish I could go on my main and reply to this right now, but my main must be kept an absolute secret de gozaru ne.

6. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobpeek::blobpeek::blobpeek::blobpeek::blobhero::blobhero::blobhero::blobhero::blobhero::blobhero::blobhero::blobhero:

7. yuzuki

yuzuki [sweet night] [plum blossoms]

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, did Osa want to be added to the google drive?

We don't have a translator for you yet, but we can add you to the drive if you like! >w<

8. Osamaru

Osamaru 『Shem's Best Pal ✧ Lexi's Ani ✧ Hamster's Keeper』

Reading List:
    Link
    Sure, did you want me to PM you my gmail?

9. yuzuki

yuzuki [sweet night] [plum blossoms]

Reading List:
    Link
    Alrightie! o7

(Also if you happen to see a wild translator, feel free to snag them! >.>)

iampsyx and Pyoo like this.
  10. tride

tride Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    hmm a few things to add to this thread
    1) translators have a "style" in wich they translate (for example if you compare the translator of coiling dragon to the translator of world of cultivation you will see a clear difference in style (for example how to translate certain terms or how to translate weight / size/ distance
    for this reason in lots of cases having lots of translators on 1 project does not do well for said project
    here is a good read posted by ren about it
    https://www.reddit.com/r/LightNovels/comments/3eukbh/tl_stellar_transformations_a_case_study_in_the/
    2) 2 chapters/ week for free is a good enough pace for me .. i personally try and read novels with a 1 chapter/day speed so i get something nearly every day but there is no shame in releasing 2 chapters / week..
    3) popular projects are popular because they are fun to read .. you ask why nobody picks up that one novel nobody ever reads? because nobody wants to put in time into something they don't like reading themselves
    4) again.. keep in mind alot of the translators doing this are not even asking money and even those who are aren't getting a whole lot (no you can't take the top 10 translators their patreon page and compare this to new/small projects)
    5) the other side of the coin.. the one thing i really hate to see is when a slow translator picks up more then 1 project ... its a bit greedy... takes the chance away from other translators & honestly screws your readers over (if you can't do a atleast 1 chapter/day u honestly shouldent be picking up more novels.. :/) .. again this is my point of view

all in all... be happy for what you are getting if your negative attitudes scares a translator away and nobody picks it up you got nothing :)

11. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmmmmm... I can understand this PoV, but... Well, ever wondered why they pick it up anyway?

Well, @Yukkuri Oniisan said something that explains it well... Reading the novel is fun, reading the thank you notes is fun, talking to readers is fun.
    Translating though... Not so much. It usually is at the beginning, but it is easy for it to become a hassle... Specially if you need to do lots of research to make things clear for the reader.

So... They kind of need a change of pace from time to time? Getting a new novel to translate is a good way of doing that.

Personally speaking, I prefer to not pick another series if I can't keep a steady schedule for both, but I can definitely understand those that do pick them up.

Fuyuneko likes this.
  12. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    op's jelly to the minority who earns a lot from translating and generalize other translator/s to be the same as the high earning ones

doubledd, GM_Rusaku, QI_Meh and 3 others like this.
  13. QI_Meh

QI_Meh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    OPINION.

Ok for real though in a perfect world we have both. But in the real world where money matters and readers are sheep, the latter has more weight than the former. Also quality itself is subjective to begin with. Most readers can't read chinese anyway and think quality is just english grammatical correctness, the editing of which in reality only accounts for maybe 10% of the translation work done.

TLDR Quality is only strictly better in a world where we're all immortal and have infinite free time.

readerz and Wujigege like this.
  14. SnowTime

SnowTime Busy Busy Busy, I Dug Too Many Holes

Reading List:
    Link
    o3o
    Well, I've been refraining from picking any more new series because of my current burden~

Mostly doing oneshots to satisfied my want of doing something fresh~

15. nikomaru

nikomaru 「Will of the Newtype」「NullPointerException」

Reading List:
    Link
    that one who translating Release that Witch doesn't give a fck though

16. QI_Meh

QI_Meh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    you better be talking about seki because QI's rtw translator is a great guy and super awesome in every way :)

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  17. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    while we don't have "infinite" lives, the majority of us have at least 20-30 years left. plenty of time.

AliceShiki likes this.
  18. Yukkuri Oniisan

Yukkuri Oniisan 『Procrastinator Archwizard Translator and Writer』

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah... And if you spend 3 years of it to learn Japanese/Chinese/Korean, you can use the remaining 17-27 reading the novels directly without depending on translators.
    At least that how I do things now...... (other than LN series, I hardly read translated WN anymore since I read it directly at syosetu*sorry guys*.......)

19. readerz

readerz Madam Jin

Reading List:
    Link
    I actually did try to get more translators for my two projects but it's not as easy as you think. :love:

I was shocked when you said one chapter was 80 pages (I'm the one who made the spoiler thread)! Wow! Someone on this thread said that the three month rule was originally put in place for light novels because they really do take that long to translate. Since it's 80 pages, 3 months is pretty reasonable. In fact, it might not even be long enough.

AliceShiki likes this.
  20. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it was Parth that said it, that the rule was put in place when thinking of LNs, which were a lot longer.

readerz likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.