Discussion Translators that bar you from selecting the words are annoying

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by notacomputer, Jul 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notacomputer

notacomputer Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you can't select the words they can't be read aloud.

This is bad for blind or visually impaired people and people with blue light sensitivity or astigmatism who can't stare at a screen too long. This is also an issue for people who don't have the time to sit down to visually read light novels and people who just don't feel like reading along with many more who I just can't think of.

Maybe I'm missing a step here, but this unnecessary and ineffective (there are work arounds to copy text if one really wants to repost it, they're just incredibly annoying hoops to jump through to read) way of protecting the material is nothing but a nuisance.

Maybe you never considered this because you didn't need to but you should really try this out. Any novel that allows you to select it can turn into an audiobook. It's just frustrating when that's not possible.

Thoughts?

runsing likes this.
  2. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know how many people prefer audiobooks rather than reading but I am not into audiobooks to be honest, so, I don't know what to say, but yes those are some good points you mentioned :blobsweat_2:

DocB likes this.
  3. MianaXenia

MianaXenia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Try the TTS on iPhones
    You can go in reader mode as well. I think that works too

and think about the translators who translate the novels you read. The reason why some sites block selecting is because it does stop some people from ripping off novels. While ofc some will find their way around that but it does it’s job. They need to pay translators too

Saikyi, Tofu Cat, Gitami and 8 others like this.
  4. Isabelle

Isabelle Always in love with potatoes (⁠◍⁠•⁠ᴗ⁠•⁠◍⁠)⁠✧⁠*⁠。

Reading List:
    Link
    While I do agree that it is probably a problem to readers with deficiencies, look at the translation perspective:
    You are translating a story by no money at all or a almost symbolic value most of the times. So, why you still does that? Because you like to have people reading this story that you have enjoyed, but also because you want to share your comments at the end of each chapter, to read readers perspective and emotions with each chapter, look and how many people pass at your website in each day and how many have liked the chapters.

You feel it all, but there are also problems. You probably does not have the original authors' permission to translate the content, so you are cross fingers that your translation will not be deleted....

At the end of this hole process, you see all your efforts into some other persons' page. You see the readers letting their comments there, not even knowing that your site exists or that you have added changes when revising some chapter.....

It can be pretty pretty sad, ok? I'm not a translator, but I'm always reading their comments, and is so sad when it happens QAQ

Saikyi, Solus, Tofu Cat and 9 others like this.
  5. Reindeer

Reindeer RynDeeVuo

Reading List:
    Link
    I think there are mobile browser apps that let you change the color theme of the pages.

nyamachi, AncientFang and Isabelle like this.
  6. Alundric

Alundric Member of Gentleman Alliance

Reading List:
    Link
    Well you are still lucky if there is translator site that allow you to increase or decrease font just for reading.
    Try to go to this website where the great translator idea to put the translation in to a picture gave a really painfull eye treatment.
    https://lightnovelswithmisachan.wor...er-world-land-mines-included-prologue-part-1/
    They did change it after some chapter, but the damage already turn their viewer drop.

notacomputer likes this.
  7. Miserys_End

Miserys_End 「Lv1 Pretend Person」I'm the preson i pretend to be

Reading List:
    Link
    Lmao! Everything about this post just screams "I want post your translation work on an aggregator site"
    As a person that reads for long stretches of time and have stigmatismes in both eyes and slightly dyslexic because of it. I can say without a doubt this is purely bullshit. Having trouble reading text? Hold a clear colored plastic sheet over your screen(this works for paper books too). Can't read because your visually impaired? OMG they have peripheral devices so you can read it with your fingers or listen to T2S(text to speech) ....

Here's a thought, if you wana read a chapter offline, open the page in a new browser tab. Your other "concerns" fall completely flat.

Saikyi, Tofu Cat, TamaSaga and 5 others like this.
  8. Kaminomikan

Kaminomikan 神のみ感

Reading List:
    Link
  9. notacomputer

notacomputer Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Wow! Text to Speech? Who would have thought of that! That's almost like... *gasp* what I was trying to do when I encountered this issue. But, of course, because you have minor work arounds everyone who points out the issue is trying to steal things. It has nothing at all to do with encountering these problems without being able to find a viable work around.
    Seems legit.

10. Miserys_End

Reading List:
    Link
    Tbh if you had a legit vision impairment, you would already have the hardware or application to remedy this. Granted you could be that one outlier that is trying to do things on the cheap, but there are many other options that work frankly better.

So yes it is much easier to believe that a person who hasn't posted anything for nearly two months on a new account named "notacomputer" of all things is infact someone from an aggregator (or webnovel, which in the end is the same thing really...) trying to either drum up pressure to have such security features disabled or crowdsource a work-around.

kenar, Isabelle, juniorjawz and 2 others like this.
  11. Beer_Kitty

Beer_Kitty Just a very very drunk kitty that likes beer

Reading List:
    Link
    Leechers just read and doesnt rant.

You get it for free already. Just deal with it. Unless you want to wait years before reading a volume which is already been finished by a fan translator.

Either you are just a sissy or simply some copy paste pirate that rants because ypu cant post the next chapter on your wattpad. Dont use that fucked up reasoning because readers can do anything to read what they want.

Visually impaired? Have someone read it with you.
    Astigmatism? Read it with you prescription glasses.

What a wuss.

12. etherealbao

etherealbao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    While I do sympathize with your situation, most do that to avoid copyright, repost or retranslation.

I am not a fan of audiobook, since it's much faster if I read it directly. But if you are that annoyed, why not buying a legally translated work rather than complaining about free translation?

Saikyi, TamaSaga, kenar and 1 other person like this.
  13. tahzib1451

tahzib1451 Title?is it food?

Reading List:
    Link
    and you thought u will get legit solutions to your problem here......

14. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    And here I thought its about translators using words that can't be read aloud in you head cause no human knows how to pronounce them. Like "Raon", makes my head explode, especially when "Roan" also exists.

But you meant like user select thing? You can just use reader mode. You can also probably write a user script to remove it automatically.

Kinda like:
    Code:
    document.querySelectorAll('*[style*="user-select:"]').forEach(function(el) {
      el.style.userSelect = "text"
    })
    Though I don't remember off the top of my head if that includes computed classes, so you might need to search window.document.styleSheets for the classes and remove them.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
    nyamachi and asriu like this.
  15. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    CARAMBA CUNO! MY EYES! AH CARAJO!

16. jex890

jex890 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You have some good points. I do think that should be an option. Though personally I prefer reading rather than listening.

17. foodflare

foodflare Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For one thing, there are plenty of valid reasons to be able to highlight the text without having any intention of reposting others' translations elsewhere. For one thing, as the OP mentioned, many commonly accessed TTS systems do indeed use the highlighted text for determining what to convert to speech. Furthermore, I commonly highlight my place in a story so I can scroll up to go back to reread a section so I can quickly find where I was at. Additionally, being able to highlight a subsection is incredibly useful for getting an explicit section to inform the translator of an error so they can improve their translation(I know several people that won't continue reading a series if the translator does as mentioned because they frequently like to point out ways for the translators they're reading from to improve but don't like typing out the full sentences).

Secondly, the most common reposters don't even use a client with text highlighting, they use bots that trawl through the posts for the content(and bypass this system in the first place). Sure it has the potential to prevent someone, but the likelihood that it's even helping them against the ones they're really trying to stop is incredibly low while just causing a burden for the users that do use highlighting for valid reasons.

If a translator has done this, I'm 100% not commenting on the story because I'm now reading in reader mode. Honestly, your post screams "I'm a person that can only think of myself and only think the worst of others", but I'll try and convince myself you have the best of intentions and "just want to protect the translators".

AncientFang likes this.
  18. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    oi it depend on language you know or learn~ english on side what written is different with how to pronounce just look tail and tale~
    for this cat it easy to pronounce Raon~ Ra as in RAw , On as in ON/off ~ of course it may off from proper pronounce cuz dunno what language da word come from~ vowel still ok~
    now the word full of consonants? this cat head wanna explodes~

19. Miserys_End

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope, I'll happily accept people thinking I'm an asshole, because I kinda am. Otoh I've seen a lot of translators and authors find their work word for word on aggregators, webnovel and Amazon. Some of these were not posted by your typical suspects but instead those looking to make a quick $ before disappearing to their next scam. So yes I'm also quick to judge.

But I think the main thing that eerks me was the comments about astigmatism and visual impairments, something I've delt with long before digital media made my life 500% easier. I mean they're common now, but 20-30 years ago those plastic sheets were a pain in the ass to keep in decent condition and find the correct replacements... not to mention the odd looks from your classmates. "Dont mind me, I just felt like being a little green today"...

nyamachi, kenar and Isabelle like this.
  20. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    From my understanding the word was korean so there is no R sound as it sounds more like an L. To me it sounds like Lawoon.

https://translate.google.com/?langpair=ko|en#view=home&op=translate&sl=ko&tl=en&text=라온

But the english version is pronounced Rayin.

Personally, I would have just called him Ryan for sanity sake. Especially since there is already a Roan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.