Trying to make a funny joke

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by UnGrave, May 14, 2021.

1. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    I enjoy situational comedy. This usually takes the form of me saying something lightly humorous about someone's thoughts or a situation they've been in. It really is just me trying to be funny and make people laugh whenever I spot the chance to do so. Sometimes though I find myself walking a fine line, not sure if I'll make someone laugh or cry. I write out my joke, stare at it for a bit, question how well I know the target, think of every way they could possibly interpret it, and then probably delete it.

How do you guys determine if your jokes will land or not?

Shizukani and Fulminata like this.
  2. endel

endel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Really, it's just figuring out what kind of jokes will work with the group of people you're currently with. For example, I know that my friends are cool with heavy sarcasm and sexual innuendos, so I feel comfortable making jokes like that. But I had to find out the hard way that my family does not get sarcasm at all, so I have to step back to traditional vanilla jokes or facebook memes with them.
    Normally, to figure out which jokes would work or not with someone, I just observe what kind of jokes they make and then adapt my own jokes lol

ANonMouse and Fulminata like this.
  3. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    ...Mine usually don’t. I did used to make people laugh when I was a kid. But as an adult, it seems that my joking and teasing tone is too close to my serious tone and people tend not to realize I’m joking or teasing. :blobsob: Or maybe my jokes are just bad now. Or maybe as a kid I was just being humored. But I’ve gotten into the habit of saying “It was a joke/I’m teasing” immediately after so that people don’t misunderstand.

Fulminata, Bad Storm and UnGrave like this.
  4. Bad Storm

Bad Storm no thought, head empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally, I just try to be my usual sarcastic/non serious self... sometimes it flies, sometimes it flunks. It's a Russia roulette.

5. Aki Aki

Aki Aki Aki Aki Aki Aki Aki ⚓️

Reading List:
    Link
    Send the joke! If it lands, they all laugh. If it doesn't, then you laugh at yourself.

Fulminata likes this.
  6. zetsuen_dark

zetsuen_dark [blue is the color of distance]⚓️

Reading List:
    Link
    if i know it might get taken the wrong way, i usually just add *joke* at the end... online, i just add /j or XD to express that i was making a joke

UnGrave likes this.
  7. Shizukani

Shizukani Chronically stressed

Reading List:
    Link
    I usually just recklessly say the joke and it usually surprises me when other people find it funny. :blobwoah:

UnGrave likes this.
  8. Shiki

Shiki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Never. My taste of a joke is just different to others, that I don't try to. The last few times I try to joke, it feels like malicious to me. So I stopped.

UnGrave likes this.
  9. Fulminata

Fulminata Typo-ist | Officer of Heavenly Inc. |

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm more of dry gallow humour and ironic double entendre myself, delivered with a mix of brutal bluntness and an extremely polite, respectful tone and wordings. Those who get it will get it, and those who don't would, well, not:blobtongue:. Since the latter usually means that they'll just think that I'm having a little out of the blue comments, i usually don't have to explain anything on a failed landing!:blob_pompom:

Last edited: May 14, 2021
    UnGrave likes this.
  10. Bobasis

Bobasis Weeeeee

Reading List:
    Link
    I make jokes all the time but sometimes people don’t get it so I just get really embarrassed . Sometimes I just don’t say it because I think people won’t get it . Sometimes people don’t think I’m joking when I make a joke so they take it seriously :notlikeblob:

11. Halcyon Observer

Halcyon Observer Full stop

Reading List:
    Link
    Before I make the joke, I usually like to hold the target audience at gunpoint, tell the joke, then subsequently hold up a sign that states, "Laugh."

Usually it works, but I encounter from time to time a bad sport who tries to call the authorities.

12. Deleted member 349875

Deleted member 349875 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    It's the opposite for me people get scared when i make a joke so i just shut up i have enough people trembling for i dont know what reason