Spoiler Tyrannical Wang’s Beloved Wife

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by Alina Moktan, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Ginonymous

Ginonymous Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They were already going to become distant from one another as the FL had become empress and was thus going to be stuck in the palace and unable to go visit the Luo family home and her family as she liked. Its acknowledged by her and various family members that their relationship with her will inevitably be affected by her becoming empress and the opportunity to meet with each other will become severely limited.

No, there are many surviving imperial family members. The emperor, for example, survives though, having suffered a stroke, is bed-bound and unable to speak. Technically, I don't believe any royal family member was sentenced to death though some do die (the oldest and the third prince aren't given a death sentence although they do still end up dead). The Grand Elder Princess (aka, FL's adopted mother) and her family is also doing well (actually, even better) following the change in leadership. All the remaining (half) siblings of the ML survive his becoming emperor (I think the only one who may be mentioned more than once is the fifth prince who is not a competitor for the throne due to his health), though with some changes. The ML gets rid of the rule where they can't be involved in politics, giving them the ability to use their own merits to move up/down the government. The flip side is that their lifestyle will no longer be completely taken care of by the imperial family/throne once they reach a certain age (adulthood).

2. Ginonymous

Reading List:
    Link
    Jiang Lian Shan is a cousin of Luo Jing Wan (the FL). More specifically, she is the granddaughter of Luo Pei Shan, through his concubine-born daughter (aka Second Lady of her generation). She gets mentioned early in the story initially as someone who is "friends" with Luo Jing Ying which pretty much sets up her character. Her mother was raised by Luo Old Madam as if she was one of her own biological daughters (her biological mother having passed when she was still a baby) but due to some action of hers, their relationship became damaged and they are not close anymore.

Because I don't know where the story is translation-wise,

She wants to be with the FL's older brother, Luo Jing Bo, aka Sun Yi Jia's husband, partly bc she likes him but also bc she's delusional and thinks this will give her access to Sun Yi Jia's dowry, which she is jealous of. She attempts to drug him but mistakenly drug the oldest (and concubine-born) son of Luo Rong Ping (Jing Ying's father), Luo Jing Ming, instead. In anger, Luo Jing Bo pushes her and she falls and hits her head, getting a cut on her brow. She and her mother attempt to use this to make Luo Jing Bo take responsibility and marry her while also shifting the blame of the scheme to Luo Jing Ming but this is immediately crushed by Luo Old Madam who points out A- Jiang Lian Shan isn't some reknowned beauty, B-The Jiang family isn't a powerful family and certainly nowhere near the Luo family in power/influence, and C- Luo Jing Ming has absolutely no reason to target her bc his prospects are so much better (basically, by targeting Jiang Lian Shan, he would be absolutely slumming it; according to Luo Old Madam, he isn't stupid enough to go after Jiang Lian Shan given his prospects) and he is considered a big catch by other families in the capital due to his family, character, potential for the future, and being one of the few members in the Luo family of marriageable age.

When Jian Lian Shan's mother continues trying to push it, Luo Old Madam demands they (mother and daughter) leave the Luo estate and says that even if Luo Jing Ming slept with Jiang Lian Shan, she would still not allow Jiang Lian Shan to marry into the Luo family. When the mother tries to make more fuss and claim that Luo Old Madam has always been biased against her due to her being born from a concubine, Luo Old Madam basically tells her to shut up or else all relations between her and the Luo family would be cut off, which would be a huge blow and loss of face for her.

3. PechDepi

PechDepi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank for answering.

4. MSakura

MSakura Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Can you tell me what happened to luo pei shan's (jing wan's grandpa) concubine??

Blood A likes this.
  5. Pratima dhar3

Pratima dhar3 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    How did 2nd engagement broke

6. Regalia1896

Regalia1896 Lady Sagittarius of the Moonlight Procrastinators

Reading List:
    Link
    It was already explained in a spoiler post on this thread but...
    So SYL (Sun Bro) managed to get his grandmother to back his engagement to Jing Wan, which triggered his mother. The Luo family proposed to the Sun Family to save the family from being completely dragged to Third Prince's faction because of Jing Ying. His mother tried some petty tricks to make JW lose face and get a leg up on her (*cue my eye roll*). She was lambasted by Sun grandmother and her son chastised her, while revealing he really, really liked JW. This made her hate JW even more for "being a vixen" and "seducing her son". So she schemes with some concubine-daughter from a rival house to Luo to utterly destroy JW reputation, and this almost blows up. Luo family basically breaks the engagement and tells Sun Bro that he's a good guy, just not for their JW (1, Because his mother is a certified nutball with her jealousy and they refuse to send JW into the lion's mouth, and 2, b/c by now Jin Want has made himself- and his obsession with JW -known).

nicomcla1995 and Dragon_Reader like this.
  7. Bockris

Bockris Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey, good people: who is the woman that apperas with the Kang Brother in recent chapters (260-261)? ML said she was as dangerous as Ruan Fang Fei, what schemes does she have?

Blood A likes this.
  8. nesi

nesi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Spy from other country, from the same country as Ruan fang fei mother. I think their job is to find out the country internal secret and weakened it from within.

She manipulating kang Wang, making him completely fall out with the Empress. One day, kang Wang hit his side consort (sister of his decesead wangfei who was married in by her clan order to take care of her sister's son), i forgot the reason but it has something to do with the spy woman. Kang wang's son see it and got angry at his father, who kick the boy until he unconscious on the ground, then go back to have s*x with the spy. :blobdevil:

The side consort panic and tried to save the boy, but the doctors in their manor was helpless, saying the boy might be blinded due to head injury. The side consort tried to ask for kang wang's help, but a maid from the spy's courtyard thought that side consort tried to use the son to attract kang wang's attention and deliberately didn't inform kang wang. The side consort then had no choice but to inform the palace for help. Needless to say that the emperor is very angry. The spy knew she will be dead, she stunned the maid, give the maid a skin mask similar with her own face, then run away after faking death. She didn't know that ml subordinate see her every action.

9. Bockris

Bockris Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you. Does she Scheme against MC or ML or just play with Kang Wang?

emmyslima, ...vegan and Blood A like this.
  10. Ginonymous

Reading List:
    Link
    She already tried to get the ML's attention (with the goal of getting into the ML's pants) before when he brought our MC out...it was her failure to seduce the ML that led to her meeting/seducing Kang Wang. She's still got the hots for the ML but if she did later try to scheme against our MC or ML, it was so ineffective and blah that I can't remember it. Since the ML knows about her face change, he naturally can keep an eye on her.

nicomcla1995 likes this.
  11. Ginonymous

Reading List:
    Link
    The only concubine he had died long before the story began. Are you thinking of one of the uncle's or the MC's father's concubines?

nicomcla1995, MSakura and Blood A like this.
  12. pokapoka

pokapoka Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Someone give a summary/spoiler about the Jiagnan arc?

13. MSakura

MSakura Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No i was shocked after knowing that he had a concubine. I thought he wa in love with jing wan's grandma. It's just my modern mind can't accept that. You know what i meant right?? I really like that grandparent couple. I know it's common in ancient era. But still disappointed. I hate it when men had concubines in stories.

nicomcla1995 and Blood A like this.
  14. whiteapparition

whiteapparition Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ^Tbh, in his defense, he didn't want her. It was Grandma Luo who pushed her to him, if anything. She was raised by the Chens after all, and you know how her younger brother treated Jing Wan.

nicomcla1995 and Blood A like this.
  15. Ginonymous

Reading List:
    Link
    I get it. If it makes you feel any better, the grandpa revealed early on to the MC's father and oldest uncle that he would have been fine with just the grandma in their marriage. Not in those words, obviously, but he did allude to it. It was early in the story, in the aftermath of him giving our MC the black orchid. It's just after she leaves his study, where her dad, oldest uncle, and grandpa are and I think the grandfather just gave her the imperial bulletin to read as well as essentially promising that he won't force her into a political(ish) marriage (basically, he won't let her be sold to the highest bidder/some scummy guy for his/the family's benefit). I believe it was translated as him being willing to spoil the grandmother but her family had raised her too well. He doesn't mention not taking a concubine specifically, but says that if the grandmother wasn't so well raised by her family, the two (MC's father and 1st uncle) might not have their 3rd brother and 2nd (? I think 2nd but no longer remember where in seniority she falls in) aunt. Both are the children of the grandfather and his concubine.

Sadly, in ancient times, one of the duties of a good "virtuous" wife was to help her husband "spread his seed" by accepting (or even arranging) concubines for him. We get a couple of hints/mentions of the girls sent with the wife(ves) for this purpose in the story. While I'm not thrilled about the concubine aspect, at least it was just that one and it does sound like it was more done out of societal expectation than anything else.

Honestly, I liked the grandpa and grandma so much more than the ML and as time went on, the MC. I liked the story for the most part which probably has more to do with its plot as the ML was iffy to me (all that molestation of the MC took more effort to get through than with the avg CN, perhaps bc they weren't together in any capacity at the time) throughout. However, as the story neared its end, I found the ML more annoying and grew to dislike his influence on the main character as well.

I think it was really just the treatment of their children. The son was probably only able to develop a good/affectionate relationship with the MC early in his childhood because of the ML's absence
    due to him being off fighting a war for a few years
    . Once he's back, the MC is all "Sorry kiddo, I'm gonna have to stop hugging/holding/showing much affection towards you bc your dad will be jealous. This is all for your own good." Mind you, the kid is maybe 3 or 4, but definitely no older than 6 years old. Then there is
    their daughter, who was a surprise, late in life pregnancy. They stick around for a while with her bc the MC doesn't want to leave her but the daughter is still immediately handed off to the son and his wife to raise. So basically, they maybe live in the same household as her but she's handed off to be raised by her older brother, who is already emperor at this time. He became emperor young because so the ML and MC can go off and travel. Big brother doesn't mind because he and his wife absolutely fall in love with the baby girl but still...

I get it's a common trope in these types of CN for the dads/one parent to be jealous of their own kid but I feel like its usually handled better or at least, balanced by the other partner's attention/treatment of the kid(s). At the very least, the kid can give as good as they get usually. Here, my impression was that the MC only acts like a mother when the ML isn't around, which was a huge disappointment. Her trying to be a good parent was basically "Mommy loves yo--oh, your dad is here! Later, kiddo. Oh, don't touch me kid. Your dad will get jealous."

16. Ginonymous

Reading List:
    Link
    If you are a bit more specific, I'll be more than happy to help. What exactly do you want to know?

17. pokapoka

pokapoka Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I am not sure how it's developing since I don't read MTL. They are in Kaiming Fu currently.
    1. Why are they going to Jiangnan?
    2. What can we expect to happen there? Like the problems they'll face?

18. Ginonymous

Reading List:
    Link
    It's been a while so I will need to take some time and go refresh my memory by skimming through but for the time being, I'll rely on my memory (will correct/answer more in depth after skimming through the story and maybe finding out where exactly we are in the story)

1. The ML was sent by the emperor to "oversee" (really, he's there just for show) the investigation into the corruption in Jiangnan. There are two specific cases his party is supposed to look into (I say his party because the emperor outright tells him he just needs to show his face now and then; the matter will be taken care of by others)--the cheating scandal regarding the exam(s) that need to be taken and passed before moving on to eventually take the imperial exam (a huge issue because its noted that almost half of government officials in the court/country are from the Jiangnan region; remember, the examination is supposed to be a method of finding the most qualified candidates for the court/future of the country) and the corruption scandal regarding local officials personally pocketing revenue from the salt tax (the salt tax is a major source of revenue for the government). The ML decides to bring the FL along and treat the whole experience as a sort of vacation.

2. There will be several things going on, as can be expected given that each case separately is a huge deal. Basically, it's pretty much a given that these case(s) will implicate several royal princes in the battle for the throne though who and to what extent remains to be seen. Given that the official purpose of the trip is overseeing a corruption scandal, you can depend on the MC and ML encountering...well, corrupt officials and their (spoiled) family members. This will include the children of various local powers running rampant and misbehaving; naturally, since the ML is a prince and widely considered the favored son of the emperor, there will be people lining up to bootlick. There's a girl who wants to climb into the ML's bed (because of course there is), the reintroduction of some characters who you probably won't remember (remember how the MC found some talents for the country following the Grand Eldest Princess' birthday celebration?), and pretty much just the trouble you would probably expect would be the result of the ML investigating corrupt officials/corruption in the government of the region. We will also meet (or remeet? I can't remember if he has shown up before) the MC's grandfather's brother who was mentioned early in the novel as a well known, if maybe eccentric, scholar. He is exactly how you would imagine someone greatly influenced by the MC's grandparents (but mostly grandmother) to be. An important plot concerns the ML's maternal family who, if you recall, are basically remnants of the previous dynasty. Naturally, they (the Pei family) have their own ideas/plans involving the ML. Mainly
    using him as a means to take over the government (so a rebellion against the current dynasty/government)

19. Yadomi

Yadomi Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What is the outcome of the pei clan.

Blood A likes this.
  20. Ginonymous

Reading List:
    Link
    They're already on the downswing and their influence/power/prestige has been waning for a while now even before we meet them. It's not to say the family are lazy/coasting through life but that it's more or less a relic from the past and the fact that their name/family is respected probably has more to do with their ancestors/the prestige of their ancestors than any current members. There isn't any particularly outstanding talent in the younger generation. The family is headed by the ML's grandfather who is one of those cold-hearted, "I'm always right" and sanctimonious guys who sees all people, including (especially) family members, as his pawns. He's pretty much an "all for the greater (family) good" sort of guy and doesn't seem to have real affection for anyone, including his wife (whose role is basically to exist so that we can see just how cold/cruel the grandfather and her (formerly) favorite 'granddaughter' is) though he will put on a good act publicly to save face. He also thinks he's smarter/more clever than everyone else.

Mind you, his modis operandi is basically pimping out the girls in his family (the ML's mother to the emperor, various girls to the ML) so I would argue it's less smart/intelligent and more just...well, selling your family members (or at least their virginity) to the highest bidder. He'll do this even if the familial/generational relationship would normally mean that romantic/sexual relationships are frowned upon. For example, one of the girls he sends to the ML (the one he has the highest expectation of and the aforementioned ungrateful 'granddaughter' of the grandmother's) would be an iffy relationship due to their generational relationship (I can't remember exactly but I think generation-wise, the ML is one generation ahead and she's supposed to call him uncle). I think we've already briefly seen the ML's mother's former fiance--he plays a larger role in this arc and through him, his family comes into the picture as well. Anyway, by the time the ML is done with the Pei family, the grandfather can't even get out of bed and the Pei Clan is...well, it exists and that's probably it.

Mind you, it's not completely the ML's doing that the Pei Clan's decline is sped up so that they are on their last legs in the end.
    Remember the ML's mother's former fiance? Once he realizes some facts (I think mainly that the Pei patriarch orchestrated the meeting between the ML's mother and the emperor in the first place and has been playing him this whole time) he sets about working on his revenge. The former fiance's family are well-known businessmen who have been careful in the past not to encroach on the Pei Clan's businesses (they had a friendly/close relationship...at least, they had the appearance of it) but the former fiance convinces his older brother it's not necessary to continue paying this courtesy. At the same time, rumors start spreading that put the Pei Clan in a questionable light and in particular, I think, paints the Pei patriarch in a...well, truthful light, honestly, but it isn't the face he puts forward in public for a reason.