Recommendations umm... is this the right place? I want to ask...

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Yurihime, Jan 1, 2016.

1. Yurihime

Yurihime New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I mainly use fanfiction.net, sufficient velocity, and space battles as my source of reading...

So, I usually reads fanfiction, and don't like Mary sue type character. If anyone can point me to some fictions that do not have insufferable main character, or any deus ex machina plot progression, I'd really appreciate it...

OTOH, what kind of character type you guys usually like in a fiction?

2. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you are looking for non-marry sue mc, avoid reincarnation tag.
    Akuyaku Tensei Dakedo Doushite Kou Natta.
    Quan Zhi Gao Shou

To ask for recommendation, you could post a thread in 'I'm looking for...' section.

I don't really have a set of requirement for mc, as long as it's good for the development of the story it's ok for me.

Jaded likes this.
  3. Jaded

Jaded Majoring in Erology

Reading List:
    Link
    You said what you did not like, but what about the stuff you like? There are many types of novels, what genres do you like?

From what you've said up until now, all I can say is stick away from most xianxia. The insufferable characters and getting saved just on time unexpectedly is pretty high there.

Don't have any requirements of MCs. But I prefer reading novels where an MC uses his brain instead of brawn.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
  4. Em_Rez

Em_Rez Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Shio likes this.
  5. Handa-kun

Handa-kun Partial Nudity and Suggestive Themes

Reading List:
    Link
    I might add, avoid most xianxia. Though some doesn't have reincarnation tag, they usually have too many plot armors. Most obvious like MGA, BTTH, HJC, or ISSTH.

I guess i can recommend LMS, it has little plot armors, mc suffer some loses, and mc become strong by doing lots of grinding.

6. Yurihime

Yurihime New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To jaded, i like story with bittersweet ending the most, the one that gives me a good cry.

7. Nikko Anderson

Nikko Anderson The Second Apprentice of The Fourth Librarian

Reading List:
    Link
    I like easy going type story so I don't think I can give something to your satisfaction... have you read book girl or twelve kingdom? Vol 1 book girl is gold and youko arc ftom twelve kingdom is interesting. Other perhaps kamisama no memocho and Sevens...or you can check m readinglist... I think you'll like some of it.
    Edit: ups I just notice my reading list is messed up. You can forget about it.

8. little king

little king Ruler of Sloth [Neko-form]

Reading List:
    Link
  9. pristineallyn

pristineallyn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I just caught up with Tempered Immortal. The MC there is really keeping his actions in accordance to logic ans scheming... Or what we call brains over brawns.

10. Jaded

Jaded Majoring in Erology

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd suggest Chaos Of Beauty then. The translation is complete and there are bittersweet moments. Mei Gongqing is nice as well.

If you want a novel with more action, I'd suggest a Japanese one called Sevens. The MC isn't overbearing and insufferable, and it has its share bittersweetness, after every arc. You may not like the fact that it has a harem though.

11. Scarecrow

Scarecrow > dev/null

Reading List:
    Link
    How about "Continue Online" on royalroadl? I have only followed it till around when the first arc concluded, and haven't checked back on it again. But it was great. It's a VR story, where the mc is a middle-aged man who was a victim of depression. He had never really gotten over it, but he had recovered enough to live normally. He tried to play a vr game, and because of one thing after the others, he replaced the consciousness of an npc instead of creating a new character. The npc he was in charge of is an old man in his last days. He was supposed to take after the old man role; do the old man jobs, act like him, and most importantly to complete the old man final wish. To finish the quest, the mc tried to get into the old man shoes learning everything about the old man; who he was, what kind of person he was, his history. Arc 1 ends when the mc finished the quest, and created his own character.

If you want Japanese LN/WN, Sevens is good too.

Yurihime likes this.
  12. Yurihime

Yurihime New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Really thanks for the recommendations!