Request uncommon sense

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Alva Quinn, Oct 26, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lighterxx

lighterxx Hoshi stan before a human °^°)

Reading List:
    Link
    For humans to fly our bones have to be at least twice lighter, and wings to be thrice our length
    A person with human would also be too fragile to use bow, but in books they almost always use bow
    Poison... Medicine as a poison is wrong mentality, medicines are made to counter, only in issue of nothing to counter it affects badly, for poison its different, it affects badly no matter what, and its aim is simple injure make immobile or kill

Medicines need balancing counterparts, some medicines can heal yet cause heavy temperature, therefore the prepared medicine would also include something to lover temperature

.... I dont read isekai other than Alice in wonderland so I cant make suggestion and just came to talk lol

Alva Quinn likes this.
  2. sjmcc13

sjmcc13 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For archery, you need to remember that war bows were not calibrated for the minimum draw weight to be effective, but as strong as was feasible. The draw weight did increase range and penetration, but was well above what would be needed for a unarmored or lightly armored opponent. That and warbows were not the norm for most of the history and areas that bows were used in war, but were more of a later (and in some ways regional) arrival, and used by people who spend their childhoods training for them which affected their development into adulthood. lower draw weights were likely the norm for most of history.

For purposes of hunting a woman who has spent the proper time training (ie : regular training from a young age) would be able to get a higher draw weight to be lethal but it depends on the level or armor as high end armor eventually reached a point even war bows could not penetrate outside of hitting a weak point, and allot of areas did not get their bows to english longbow draw weights.

Though women being bow wielders does have a basis in myths, like the Amazons in Greek myths, but really being archers would not be for military effect, but to minimize the loss of females in war, and unless they had the funds to be mounted and heavily armored a rear guard archer would be safer and still let them contribute.

Of course keep in mind people supplied their weapons, and what would be easier for a woman to supply and have a chance to be familiar with other then hunting tools like bows and spears.

Alva Quinn likes this.
  3. Alva Quinn

Alva Quinn 『0→1』『The Servant』

Reading List:
    Link
    i did say it is an uncommon sense though? i wanted to focus on the "weakness" of bows despite them being the MVP of wars (as you said)
    when it comes to women, their social standing was low in the past, so lady knights are only something you will see in a country with there is gender equality
    this one is a meme, really
    it started with one person, then two, and then... it became "common sense"
    something with their constitution after reaching the second rank or something
    this is not true for every story; its not a (un)common sense
    never have i ever read this
    in naruto they have excuses with chakra and whatnot, but i have otherwise never read novels where walking through a vertical wall is "common sense"

Deleted member 155674 likes this.
  4. Alva Quinn

Reading List:
    Link
    this one depends on the type of novel
    in wortenia senki, the MC became a baron as a measure to be detained, more or less
    shield bro on the other hand, is a good example of your uncommon sense (y)
    yep. this one. this one is always something that bothers me
    huh... i never paid attention to that
    i thought they would always die first tbh
    in other words; they are scapegoat species. that doesn't mean that they cannot fight back though
    i dont even understand what you mean, but this is more or less a pyramid scheme, right??
    tbf i dont see this as a common sense
    not many novels i read involve these "tiers"

5. Alva Quinn

Reading List:
    Link
    some bs about their body being purified from black matter and whatnot
    still doesnt make sense since the purification ought to be done regularly, but thats their story and their "common sense"

6. StuffedDuck

StuffedDuck Stuffed with Fluff

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG]

Alva Quinn likes this.
  7. Alva Quinn

Reading List:
    Link
    the point was that you dont usually happen to "have" the "counterpoison" to fend off the original poison

in ai chans case though, ai chan is talking about using a specific poison in low doses to slow down another poison

in alvas case, alva is talking about a specific poison that is the literal antagonist of the other poison, and how most people dont have those poisons prepared 24/7
    the problem is the momentum
    most rabbits dont have enough power to tackle a goblin and wound them
    even if they are thrown and pierces the flesh with their horns, the horned rabbits are likely to die from the impact, or at least suffer from a concussion

in the end, the existence of horned rabbits is biologically impractical, yet it is a "common" animal / monster nowadays, used in many novels

--but alva doesnt want do talk about these! alva wants ai chan to think new uncommon senses!
    they die in the end, but not without dealing damage to the innocent humans
    they are weak, but they are strong because they are seen as weak
    they are being underestimated, and thats why they can win in the end

mir and Ai chan like this.
  8. Zomula

Zomula Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nobility being bestowed for "control" reasons is the uncommon sense that I was meaning, at least in part. The other part is that they are raising the rank of a person they don't know anything about and that would leave them open to spies.

Yeah, the villages you see rarely face any problem until the MC gets to the area. There sometimes is mention that some village was ravaged by monsters or bandit force, but rarely do you actually see it.

mir and Alva Quinn like this.
  9. Alva Quinn

Reading List:
    Link
    ^ anyhow, the uncommon sense is "winged humans that can fly"

if a real one were to appear in a world without magic bs, a reasonable fact would be that they are weak as heck compared to normal humans
    yep yep! thats "uncommon sense"!
    (a person with human...?)
    i was talking about something a little bit different, but its okay!

lighterxx likes this.
  10. lighterxx

lighterxx Hoshi stan before a human °^°)

Reading List:
    Link
    Person with bow... :blobmelt:

Alva Quinn likes this.
  11. Alva Quinn

Reading List:
    Link
    oh... according to wortenia senki, this has happened in the past with liu bang being sent to bashu, but i am not sure what that was about...

the thing about raising the rank though (in WS), is to have them "officially" become part of your country
    before this happened, the MC could not be knighted, could not leave the country, and cannot be killed
    being knighted is impossible since... i assume this is because the MC is stronger than a knight
    the MC cannot leave the country because... i assume that this was done to prevent hostile countries from hiring the MC
    the MC cannot be killed since he is too strong, and even if they can kill him, it will only cause a reason to doubt your country

giving the MC an isolated territory is basically "politely" asking the MC to stay there and not interfere with your own territory

12. Alva Quinn

Reading List:
    Link
    nuu.... still not enough uncommon senses....

13. Zomula

Zomula Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Look it up. That example is a good example of the problems with appointing someone for the reason of controlling them.

I will admit that it would happen, but those who were offered ranks often already had a rank in another kingdom and would only take the new rank if they had something to gain or the consequences for refusing was their death. The idea of a rank being offered to an unknown mercenary was unthinkable. In fact the only time in history that ever happened was in the Roman Empire and the fall of the empire has been shown to be, at least in part, due to that.

Alva Quinn likes this.
  14. Zomula

Zomula Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I thought of another that bugs the hell out of me.

Demon lord or whatever "final boss" enemy they are there to defeat sits back and waits for them to get stronger.

15. Alva Quinn

Reading List:
    Link
    Usually that's because of a reason like "we cannot afford lose you", but the DLs as of late aren't like this anymore, right?
    Moon-led Journey [...] (Tsuki ga Michibiku [...]) is a good example of this, though many other stories seem to still have these uncommon sense.

16. kkgoh

kkgoh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

Nah not pyramid scheme. Most Chinese xianxia novels follow organizational hierarchy, likely a result of the local culture/school systems/bureaucracy while meshing together dynastic Chinese who were the hegemony of other vassal states/countries (think 14th century Ming Dynasty regularly getting tribute from Tibet).

That's why it's "uncommon sense", because these hierarchies don't translate well when it's repeatedly stacked.

e.g. MC starts out in a Tier 3 Kingdom.
    He levels up, moves out to "expand his horizons" and gather better resources/power.
    So he migrates to a higher level Tier 2 Kingdom that had hegemony over his Tier 3 Kingdom.
    Note that the Tier 2 Kingdom usually "gifts" resources to the lower Tier 3 Kingdom in exchange for their continued subservience.
    Then MC levels up, and continues moving upwards to the next Tier 1 Kingdom.
    And so on.

There are usually "rules" that passively allow lower Tier kingdoms to be promoted to higher tier. i.e. a Tier 2 Kingdom cannot deliberately suppress a Tier 3 Kingdom from advancing, even though that should be the obvious thing to do.
    "Hail the King", "Martial World, "True Martial World", "Divine Throne", just to name a few.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
  17. Alva Quinn

Reading List:
    Link
    I see... an uncommon sense indeed! I like it!

18. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To become a better archer, go to a local Target store!

19. mir

mir Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This.
    The monsters everywhere.
    How does your world/kingdom/country even function like this?? Why haven't soldiers come through and wiped everything out if it's such a problem for commerce? Why depend on adventurers and not army? What are you using those taxes for King?!

Though lots of authors try to explain this away, alot of other authors don't and just expect the reader to accept it, which we do because we're used to it.
    Thus, it's uncommon sense.
    When you say high end armor, what kind do you mean?

Alva Quinn likes this.
  20. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    duh it from old rpg game thoupe imo there plenty of ut on current uncommon thing

example basic thing
    same language, same currency, village sorrounded by monster yet hero still can rest without bothered by nasty monster, also please hero only you can save the world

it weirder that adventure guild exist... yup really weird.... imagine enourmous time, resource, power and connection just to make such organitation recognized and accepted even private military company can't compared to guild adventurer influence~ closest we have is UN wait maybe FIFA

Alva Quinn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.