Discussion under appreciated and over appreciated novels

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Mousa4, Oct 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mousa4

Mousa4 Cultivated to Immortality

Reading List:
    Link
    So there are a lot of novels that are way too under appreciated (not a lot of people read them, talk about them or give them the credit they deserve). And than there are some novels that deserve there popularity but are judged way too high. What are those novels for you guys?
    for me
    under appreciated: Heavenly jewel change, seiun wo kakeru and conquest
    over appreciated: tales of demons and gods and stellar transformation

ps. in no way am i saying that you shouldn't read the over appreciated novels, since a lot of them are actually good, but i believe they should be criticized a little more.
    also i didn't use the words overrated and underrated because i find that once people hear the word "overrated" they won't go read that novel. Which I don't promote. I think people should go read any novel they wish to read, and whether it's over appreciated or under appreciated is all up to them(and the amount of attention the novel gets)

2. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Over appreciated? CD and MGA.
    Coiling Dragon is nice, and is one of the novels that made xianxia popular, but quality of story has dropped after Linley became god.

3. sal880612m

sal880612m As I thought, love was a status effect! ~ICDS

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think I over appreciate Tales of Demons and Gods. Even when I recommend it I make sure to say it's nothing ground breaking. It's simply an entertaining read. Heavenly Jewel Change is something I would consider comparable to it so far, but there is that one scene that could easily put a lot of people off. Still I want more of that too, but it's still very early on in terms of translated chapters for it to get a big following with only 15 or so translated.

Stellar Transformations I dropped because of translator changes and drama and while I would suggest someone get into Wuxia/Xianxia with IET's works the more I read the more I realize how over appreciated they are.

I think for a lot of people when a work is known to have 500+ chapters jumping on the band wagon before the translation reaches 100+ is a waste of time. Which is one of the reasons I would recommend CD to someone getting into Wuxia/Xianxia.

Edit: I haven't read Conquest yet, but I have read Seiun wo Kakeru and while it's good I don't think it is under appreciated. Unknown perhaps, but I always feel like slice of life stories are very niche and struggle to recommend them.

JJ likes this.
  4. Rumanshi

Rumanshi 『Demon Lord』『ルマンし』

Reading List:
    Link
    Way over-appreciated: Mushoku Tensei.

Please don't kill me >.>

Zone Q11, BusyBee and Catacus like this.
  5. Raphael

Raphael Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Stellar Transformations is dope I'm a fanboy so I can't comment on it but Heavenly Jewel Change is not really under appreciated as far as read on their site go. For Conquest I feel that is too early to judge because what has been translated so far has not exactly been to my liking is funny yes but not that good in my personal opinion. Finally ales of Demons and Gods is pretty good but the novel as far as I can tell does not have a HUGE following.

Now as for which ones I think are under appreciated: Wicked Soldier King and My Father in law is Lu Bu those 2 top my list but they are not exactly completely under rated just they don't have the amount of follows I would expect from such awesome works. As for over appreciated Coiling Dragon tops my list, the WN is great and I personally love it but I feel that is not as amazing as the people say it is I mean Stellar Transformations is basically the same but it doesn't have a following as big even though I feel it's story is executed better than Coiling Dragon's. And my last over appreciated one is Overlord I don't get why the hype I mean it's good but not quite high enough to match what everyone says of it I mean after a little bit I felt it got old because of the shitty main characters attitude.

Those are my thoughts feel free to comment on them and happy reading. :)

Edit: Ohh yeah God of Thunder is another one I feel is under appreciated.

Catacus likes this.
  6. Raphael

Raphael Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol I'm a die hard of that novel so I must burn you at the stake :p

false and Icura like this.
  7. sal880612m

Reading List:
    Link
    That's harsh Rumanashi was just telling the truth.

8. ArgosYesu

ArgosYesu Lord of Some Lands, Editor of Others

Reading List:
    Link
    Over-appreciated is definitely MGA. People seem to only focus on the ruthless MC, but there are countless stories with RUTHLESS main leads that don't go around raping women and killing innocents cause they looked at him wrong. Oh, you can call me an idiot, but try and defend the thing instead of calling others dumb. Chu Feng was a dude who's personality was all over the place and his plot armour was basically made up on the spot as the author writes. Linley's plot armour makes more sense than Chu Feng's, which is saying something. You know that dirty old man who was a complete realm higher than the MC? Chapter 335. I thought he was basically Chu Feng in the future.

But yea, most stories are over-appreciated. I say that IET is far too OA (I got tired of writing the thing out) compared to other authors, because he basically repeats most everything in the plotline. As for the under-appreciated ones, ISSTH seems to fall in that category. I don't know why, but the lack of hype for it makes me... sad? It's the only Xianxia I've read that actually stands out with the characters and power growth.

Arua, Nyanko and BusyBee like this.
  9. JJ

JJ [?]

Reading List:
    Link
    Over? ATG and MGA.
    don't kill me lol

EDIT: ATG ever since the chu yue yan incident.

I'm on the same boat as you. I like DE though since it's still on the initial stages.

10. sal880612m

Reading List:
    Link
    IET's best work is during those initial stages. The world is still small enough that he can keep track of all his characters.

Also at least IET's main characters generally aren't rapists. I won't blame the characters for what happens if it's actually out of their control but I really do have to question why the authors think that's a good way to start\establish a relationship.

11. JJ

JJ [?]

Reading List:
    Link
    Same. Although it only went downhill for me ever since
    they were teleported to the demon continent or the self insert of the author with regards to his perverted thoughts
    . Just not my cup of tea I guess.

12. ArgosYesu

ArgosYesu Lord of Some Lands, Editor of Others

Reading List:
    Link
    After reading the recent ATG chapter, I'll add it to my over-appreciative list. Seriously, there is detailed writing, and then there is filler writing.

false likes this.
  13. Mousa4

Reading List:
    Link
    yea that's why i have stopped reading atg as soon as it gets translated, i wait 50 some odd chapters or wait for the arc to finish to start reading again.

14. JJ

JJ [?]

Reading List:
    Link
    not to mention repeating dialogues/wall of text just to tell how awesome Yun Che is.

My under appreciated would be Wu Dong Qian Kun.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  15. Mousa4

Reading List:
    Link
    yea wu dong qian is great, but there is like a cliff hanger like every chapter :mad:

JJ likes this.
  16. sal880612m

Reading List:
    Link
    Is that the one on yellowlaw? I would like to try reading it but dealing with that site is a pain in the ...

17. JJ

JJ [?]

Reading List:
    Link
    yep, you'll only experience database error connection whenever there is a newly released chapters.

18. lachy

lachy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Underappreciated: Heavenly Jewel Change, Gate of Good Fortune, Wicked Soldier King, The Great Ruler
    Overappreciated: Chaotic Sword God, Death March, Overlord, Legendary Moonlight Sculptor

Yeah I got shit taste.

19. Catacus

Catacus The God of Cat's & Potato's

Reading List:
    Link
    i didnt know they had Ales of gods and demons what do the taste like?:p

20. aarush

aarush Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah it does have less readers compared to what it deserves.The Great Ruler was also same before it moved to Wuxia World.
    For me , over-appreciated would be : CD(Story before Infernal Realm were much better in comparison to afterwards).
    Under appreciated would be : Wu Dong Qian Kun & Genius Sword Immortal(it has some potential but it is still in early stage)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.