Discussion under appreciated and over appreciated novels

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Mousa4, Oct 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BusyBee

BusyBee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    OA stuff to me is like MGA, ATG, and other harem-kind-of-stuffies. I dropped PMG for the same reason. The hoard of women got too out of hand. Like what is this gender discrepancy? Did all the other male characters die off and left the MC as the sole male organism left on earth? Anyways, my UA would be Xian Ni. Poor Wang Lin always getting the short end of the stick. D:

Rickymex likes this.
  2. Scarecrow

Scarecrow > dev/null

Reading List:
    Link
    Over? Most IET's work, Zhan Long author's work, MGA, Chaotic Sword God, and at this rate I would ends up listing all Xianxia with short and fast updates. Honestly, the only thing nice about them is the amount of translated chapters.

Under? None comes to mind. Maybe, Ze Tian Ji.
    Heretic!

Correct me if I am wrong, but he pretty much used the same template over and over right? Not just the story, but the main character too.

3. Brenterrou

Brenterrou New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    over appreciated: Coiling Dragon - got boring after he went to the infernal realm

Nyanko likes this.
  4. sal880612m

sal880612m As I thought, love was a status effect! ~ICDS

Reading List:
    Link
    That sounds about right. I mean the farther he gets in the story the more the details diverge so it makes sense that the bit he has done the most is the best part. Practice makes perfect after all :p Besides even if it's the same templates it's still better than a rapist mc, right?

Shio likes this.
  5. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ldyrdy likes this.
  6. Nyanko

Nyanko Psychotic Cat Princess

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll give that a go, it looks interesting.

I agree with the majority that Coiling Dragon is overrated, and also agree with the majority, it was good till it got to the infernal realm! He should have finished the story there. It became a pain to read afterwards. Agree with Martial God Asura; cause I'm not really a fan of those "You looked at me wrong, so I will torture you to death, burn the city you live in to the ground, and exterminate your entire family to the 3rd branch" type of characters. Same for Tale of Demons and Gods; cause I don't like the disrespectful punk of a MC! Feign respect and face if you have to, you make so much less foes

My underrated would be Shen Yin Wang Zou ( http://totobro.com/index-sywz/ ) Really enjoyed it

7. ArgosYesu

ArgosYesu Lord of Some Lands, Editor of Others

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't hate CD, although I don't think it's all the rage. I do like it, but mostly it's because of all the effort Ren puts into the translation of it. As well, Coiling Dragon does a few things right that other stories don't. For one, there is a clear power growth unlike, say, MGA which just tosses it all out the window. The romance is restricted to one couple instead of, say, BTTH and ATG where the MC is scoring left and right. There are also a few good characters in CD like Bebe, Phusro, Olivier, and Bluefire.

If anything, the dislike I have for CD is just how family oriented Linley is. An entire two books done with the plot all about Linley going and bringing his family back to life. He has probably the happiest ending of any Main Character I've ever read... His only real loss was fricken Grandpa Doehring.

Shio and JJ like this.
  8. Satan

Satan Yes

Reading List:
    Link
    overrated-mga

underrated - way of choices

9. vdap

vdap Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Over appreciated:
    ATG, MGA - Both MC are giant douchebags (might be an understatement). I think the stories were interesting at first since the MC were a bit different but the story seems to lack substance as the story goes on.

Under appreciated:
    Terror Infinity - Don't see this one mentioned too often. 10 volumes translated so far, and it is very similar to Gantz if you read manga or watch anime.
    Zhu Xian - Pretty solid story so far, it does suck that the translation changes part way.The story was dropped by the original translator and then picked up by OwlHoot. So suddenly the names of the characters would all changes and you would have to look up their names in the glossary.

10. Scarecrow

Scarecrow > dev/null

Reading List:
    Link
    I heard that he was revived too. You know, the heroine grandpa's in ST? Isn't that him?

11. Bagelson

Bagelson Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    World of Cultivation is under appreciated. It's frankly one of my favourite stories in so many ways.

12. Lachiel

Lachiel Paradise Lost

Reading List:
    Link
    Arua likes this.
  13. Raphael

Raphael Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Taste like victory. :oops:

Catacus likes this.
  14. Catacus

Catacus The God of Cat's & Potato's

Reading List:
    Link
    are you sure it not piss?

15. Leachinator

Leachinator [Jedi master general] Most Special Snowflake

Reading List:
    Link
    One that seems under appreciated to me is Instant Kill
    • a monk that reached a bit of enlightenment is currently on his third life (second reincarnation)
    • despite the name its not a lot of action more fanciful slice of life plus cultivation/training
    • the magic/cultivation system is easily one of the most creative and interesting ones that i have seen in a Chinese WN
    • the world setting itself is also somewhat unusual and has a bit grimness which is a nice contrast to the slightly lighthearted POV
    • aside from the fact that the main char suffers from a bit of mushoku tensei syndrome (op genius from reincarnation NOT perverted or retarded) the plot ignores most xanxia tropes -a large family all still living so far - characters all seem to behave mostly rational so no endless loops of irrational antagonism and murder every couple of chapters because someone coughs in the wrong direction or something -and he joins a powerfull sect were they *gasp* actually treat him like a valuable gifted disciple instead some dumb snob picking a fight for no good reason lol
    • over all the author seems to but some thought into whether or not the elements of the narrative fit the setting or if the decisions and behavior of individuals or groups/cultures make sense from the perspective of people capable of rational thought (which is sadly somewhat uncommon *cough*MGA*cough*)

16. Detrolord

Detrolord Regular Pervert Member

Reading List:
    Link
  17. Mousa4

Mousa4 Cultivated to Immortality

Reading List:
    Link
    the sword emperor, the manga for that was amazing, unfortunately it got cut short :(

18. Detrolord

Detrolord Regular Pervert Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I know man somebody needs to take up the role of translating the LN

19. Dyne

Dyne Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Under appreciated : Ze Tian Ji. I recommend this for those who like ISSTH (esp book 3)
    Over appreciated: CD (after the whole god fiasco), LMS and Mushoku Tensei

20. Mousa4

Mousa4 Cultivated to Immortality

Reading List:
    Link
    ze tian ji, it's such a good read but so slow. And with the translations being slow right now, it's even more slower. So until the story picks up or the translators get on a better schedule is when i will start reading it again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.