Discussion Under represented genres or clichés

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by cosmicimmortal, Nov 7, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cosmicimmortal

cosmicimmortal Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I just finished reading a QT novel and one of the arcs I really enjoyed but I realized that it would be super hard to find other novels with similar concepts to read.

What's a genre, trope or cliché you really love but feel is super unrepresented in WNs????

The one that made me write this was a strong female, who maybe is the main provider in the relationship paired with a soft male. This doesn't necessarily mean weak and timid guy but it just switches up the normal CEO romance or showbiz dynamic which is popular here on NU. I think the one I read was a film empress who "kept" a younger actor but he wasn't actually that ambitious. All he wanted was to be pampered and look after the FL.

2. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess, it would be the so called 'Face slapping', it is usually sort of cringy in most CN but it is quite interesting in 'Magic Emperor' :hmm: does that count :blobunsure:?

3. rhianirory

rhianirory Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    maybe 'No CP?'
    it's extremely rare on this site to find any story that doesn't have some kind of bad romance as either the focus or the subplot. I get awfully tired of two dimensional woman who suffer Stockholm syndrome and are always treated by the ML as a pet or as a child incapable of making decisions for themselves.
    also 'no harem' seems to be getting rarer and rarer these days; everyone is jumping on the harem wagon.

4. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Historical novels, but it's not so much that they don't get written and more that they don't get translated. In general, only a small subset of Chinese novels get translated and a lot of genres are underserved. I love these books but I can't blame translators for not tackling subjects that won't get the readers.

More in line with the OP, I really miss oldschool isekai novels, things like Twelve Kingdoms or Escaflowne. These are books that are about world building and strong characterization and growth. Modern isekai don't give a damn about any of that and I wish that there was more of it.

5. Buffalo_QJ

Buffalo_QJ Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    there isn't enough yuri :blobmelt:
    cough
    hmmm I haven't seen many pure evil mcs
    However, I have seen a lot of novels where the mc is doing unscrupulous things only for author-san to justify it :hmm:
    conclusion: more yuri plx?

6. MMWO

MMWO *pout*

Reading List:
    Link
    A hentai where it's actually focused on satisfying female audience instead of males.

Mahou-nii-sama likes this.
  7. animanaicT

animanaicT Nobody Important

Reading List:
    Link
    When it comes to smut novels i feel like the reverse is true... the female smut novel base is huge compared to the male novel base (in the english book market)

elengee likes this.
  8. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    And they're all cold-hearted, handsome CEO's that are borderline abusive and would've been rapists if they weren't just so darn attractive and perfect to the FL.

SayMrrp likes this.
  9. animanaicT

animanaicT Nobody Important

Reading List:
    Link
    The Badboy to everyone but me...

10. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    What I would like to see is more serious takes on Gender Bender, it feels like most of the ones I come across are either comedy, the gender bender part inconsequential for the plot or just straight up badly written.

Mahou-nii-sama likes this.
  11. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I would suggest "For a Prosperous World". This book has some really good writing, excellent characterization, and is able to evoke all sorts of emotion. The gender bending part isn't of the utmost importance but it still plays a significant role in the story. The big problem though is that you'll have to read it in Chinese because the translation ended before it got to the really good parts - everything in the story before the end of the Battle of Changping being just an extended prologue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.