Spoiler Under the oak tree

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by Lovina, Dec 25, 2019.

1. smita.g

smita.g Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree with you, like I love maxi and both has flaws but The moment when Riftan was on trial... Maxi wanted to safe him even if she had to leave him for 3 years. But like I said in LNH, it all happened because of maxi only. Even if Riftan lacked the communication part when she got out of coma, maxi still should have waited for Riftan even if he wanted to divorce her. She should have faced him with the same spirit the way she fought tooth and nail to go to Levadon itself. How can maxi choose someone who mistreated her for years over the only person who treated her like a family. Even though because of situation maxi chose to go tower for 3 years...it wasn't a wise decision for their marriage. Look Riftan has always always adjusted for maxi. He allowed her to learn magic, allowed her to accompany them to Levadon, didn't get anger for miscarriage, was ready to anything to make the Duke suffer but look at maxi, she never did any for Riftan but going to tower I don't think it was a wise decision for their marriage point of view. Like I haven't read book 2 yet, I have read the spoilers. There in book 2 Maxi expects Riftan to accept the fact that it was the only solution and she also expects Riftan to open up regarding his pain. How can she expects this when she was the one to give him pain. Instead she should coax him like a baby and help him realise that she will soon be with him after their mission. I felt like though initially she thought of Saving Riftan but ended up fulfilling her own dream and along with this she expects good behaviour from Riftan. She forgot that Riftan once told her she's the only family he has.

All I mean to say is Maxi can't have it in both ways. She wants to save Riftan and wants to become a powerful wizard like Agnes and she wants Riftan to behave well in front of everyone and she wants Riftan to understand that it was the only chance to save him.....of course Riftan would behave like that and all she should do is make him understand and keep trying instead of throwing pine cones on him or snow balls and shouting in front of everyone....these can be considered as an extremely positive character growth for maxi as an individual,like she's confident ,she's vocal and voice out her opinion but these instead brings down fall for their relationship. Their relationship needs time like any normal real life relationship

Last edited: Dec 10, 2021
  2. GG26

GG26 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i'm very happy with the new chapters and angry at the same time. they're very very very short! I'm crying everytime I read one. and I can't understand well cuz the bad translate

covertcookie likes this.
  3. Maia123

Maia123 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks!!! First person that doesn’t want to “force” me. Looool although you can’t either way. Ehhhhh whatever you are married, I really hope you won’t fix problems by leaving your husband for years. Marriage is not meant to be on distance, and your claiming of “time out”…how do you expect a married couple will work if they only live one year out of seven together? “Time out” on a relationship can’t be of years or even months. Maybe weeks and not even. If you are not with your husband, what’s the point of being married? You are talking like a girlfriend not a wife. I mean, an example of real “time out” is when Max was upset because Riftan misspoke about her and didn’t talk to him for three days until he apologized. Let’s see it in a different view, if the “time out” is ok, do you think Riftan’s behaviour of not talking to Max is ok? Because he really needs a “time out”.

And again, leaving to the Tower wasn’t the mistake. It was leaving him behind with no consolation or trying to convince him…nothing. Riftan explained it: she just step out and left. It doesn’t matter if he was in pain. She didn’t care his pain. You said she did…how? Did she try something? She was leaving him for his duties
    OMG!!!! You wrote an essay!!!! But I don’t have time to go into detail. Although, I admired that you like it. Ok…first, I feel that you made a summary that is not fully on the topic, so, I will answer only the ones with debate. Second, Max confronted Riftan about the miscarriage after leaving to the Duke and building up all the mess. Someone said that she wanted to punish herself by leaving to Croix, and I think is very accurate. Third, I never said she didn’t love Riftan. I know she loves him and miss him. What I’m claiming is that she left him in pain, and she didn’t care because she’s self-centred person and never wears someone else shoes (like with Rosetta, she never thought her sister was in pain too. She always thought on herself). Fourth, what I’m saying is that a sacrifice for Anatol and Remdragon Knights could be done by anyone. If Ruth had to go to Hogwarts again, he would do it. Or something similar to the others. This time it was on Max, but it could be anyone. But a sacrifice for Riftan, as a husband, it could be only his wife. And that sacrifice never happened before. Fifth, I can’t ask the author to describe word by word, so everyone read and interpret. My interpretation, because Max is self-centred person and said that she always wrote long letters fully of her “adventures” at Hogwarts, and also telling him that she miss him. So, I can guess that she never asked him about himself. Also, she didn’t have idea (or occurred to her) about Anatol’s growth. What happened to her husband? No clue. It’s not like she will receive answer, but at least if she ask herself, on the first episodes of book 2, how is he doing? I would think that she actually cares about his own fate. And don’t jump!!! I know she loves him, but she is unable to consider someone’s else point of view. And believe or not: she needs to APOLOGIZE TO HIM. Sixth, Annette is the wizard friend that always misspeak about Riftan? What about at the end of chapter 106, book 2, when Annette asked her if Max “was ok” for leaving with her husband. Max thought was “she was started to argue”, and for that reason, she said “I’m fine”. Not because Max didn’t like that Annette was doubting Riftan, it was because Annette’s own good. In other hand, Kuahel and Richt are Riftan’s rivals, if she doesn’t hold Riftan’s back with his rivals, that would be the doom of their relationship. Seventh, … I never said Riftan didn’t desire Max, what I said was that he doesn’t feel ok still because he still doesn’t trust her completely.

Eight, I will summary on questions: do you truly believe that Riftan completely trust on Max now? After three years in pain and no apologize from her? Only because she said that she will not leave again? Do you know how many times Max has lied to him? (“Yes Riftan, I will wait for you to return to war 1” or “yes Riftan, I’m not going to learn more magic”) really do you think that he can actually believe completely on her words? He might believe her intentions, but this is way more serious. More questions: duties comes first, so after the dark wizards, and wars, and everything else, then, Max would be able to settle. How old would be her? Because there is always something. In other hand, you contradict yourself, “Once everything is settled and she has officially become Anatol's wizard, no one can force her to do any mission against her will. Not even the WT.” who said that?? The author NEVER said that. On the contrary, let me remind you what happened when Uslin tried to intervene for Max going to the war on the book 2: The wizards were on Anatol castle and Uslin declined the idea of Max leaving, what happened? Carlton said that “if you holding one of our wizards, it is war against the World Tower. And then, we will forbid any of our wizards to be at Anatol”. Nobody will force Max? Not even the World Tower? How come they can forbid them to be in a place? Or, let me remind you something else: the World Tower brought all their wizards close to the war 2 area in order to help. What about if they don’t want to? Too bad, because at least they should help on the Ethylene castle. They can’t be forced there? And my last example: Ruth left the Tower because they interfiere on his research and limited him a lot. The World Tower can’t force him? Even they explained that WT regulations are strict since Ruth left, do you truly believe they will not interviene even if Max didn’t want to? I’ll call that naive.

Ninth, yes, none of the POV of RIftan or Max are the absolutely truth. The truth is everything together. So, no, we shouldn’t believe everything straightforward of the books because that is the magic: characters are human and imperfect, and they will never see each other bad sided. The author will not be good one if she conveys the absolutely truth without mistakes on the characters. Ahhh and I never said Riftan is perfect. It’s just that we are not talking about him. Also, it is Max whose mistaken and not aware of it. That would become a snowball.

Tenth, don’t get panic. I didn’t say that everything written was a lie. What I’m saying is that it is full of human mistakes…that’s why it is a really good novel!!!! Because it makes sense their human emotions, or do you really want a story where the female character doesn’t act wrong once in a while?

OMG!!! I did my best to answer shortly, but this was my best loool. Still I appreciate your essays.

OMG!!!! I’m not going to tell much because this is the first comment that I’m really proud of. You explained things that I’ve been trying to explain over and over…and yours were clear and successful!!!! Thanks!!!! I really appreciate them.

Avery Very, riftanilian and smita.g like this.
  4. eidyia

eidyia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Kalto offers Maxi a chance to continue studying at the world tower. To get really powerful magic. It is tempting, but she says no and her head is clear that she wants to be with riftan. Kaltos offer still stands if she changes her mind.
    Then she goes to the kitchens to see about breakfast and meets Sidina again who tries to convince her to go back to the world tower and study with her too because theyre best friends. The conversation ends with Maxis refusal and sidina going silent. she turns around to see riftan standing beautiful in the sunlight with uslin and elliot, and riftans face is furious.

So will they talk now or will they fight again? Will he be more respectful to maxi, because if he chases her away the tower wants her? And will he recognize her worth enough to include her in his plans and inform her what is going on? Maybe she can use her earth powers to help him and he will accept it?
    I really want a riftans perspective chapter.
    And i really want them to forgive each other and start working together. If he would just say the words, "Maxi, go get dressed. I need your help."

Happy Friday everybody!

5. Lynlyn_2703

Lynlyn_2703 Member

Reading List:
    Link

All I can say is they have trauma, we can understand them but not excuse for them, the way Maxi is doing is still wrong. She want him back but not to try to understand him. She still need to grow to be able to protect him, not just comfort him. I think she is now at the "Rebel
    pharse" hahaha. Let's not pick side, If you pick on any side, you can't see a whole picture. Riftan is doing a lot for her now it's up to Maxi to do something for him.
    Although I want Kuahel to fall in love with Max but I can't stand their love be tested again and again :(((

My english is suck, hope you understand me <3

6. Maia123

Maia123 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    OMG!!!! I’m not going to tell much because this is the first comment that I’m really proud of.
    Your English is not bad. I totally agree on the part of “Riftan is doing a lot for her now it's up to Maxi to do something for him.” She has never done anything for him as husband (unless you consider valid giving him a piece of creepy handcraft). And I’m sorry, but I’m almost certain that Kuahel will be the love test for Max…and someone else on Riftan’s side (what is the name of that wizard who uses fairies?).

7. Lynlyn_2703

Lynlyn_2703 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's Mariam, I think. But I thought you going to say Anges haha

8. covertcookie

covertcookie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I hope they reconcile already, but since they're not communicating properly yet, it may not happen immediately. I just hope we won't read a chapter in which Maxi will feel like she can never gain Riftan's trust and accept Calto's offer. My heart will literally break, and I will probably throw my phone naahh just kidding.
    Thank you for the summary.
    *manifesting for snu snu part two*

Hello5427, riftanilian, acm and 2 others like this.
  9. smita.g

Reading List:
    Link
    I really love and respect Quahel Leon and even I feel he likes maxi but not sure...I haven't read book 2, but I really don't want a love triangle for maxi and Riftan. Plus Quahel isn't that stupid to declare his love for maxi when everyone knows how badly Riftan loves maxi vice versa

God only knows how badly I want Riftan's pov to continue. Like under the oak tree is incomplete without Riftan's pov.
    I hope Riftan hears that the world tower wants maxi but instead she refused as she chooses Riftan this time so Riftan's broken trust will be mended and he can be happy

10. eidyia

eidyia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    At the start of their marriage Maxi wanted so much to help Riftan, this was part of her motivation for learning healing arts. It made her feel less worthless, and she saw that whenever Ruth is away there is no healing magic in Anatol. Remember the werewolves? In her thinking she wanted to learn magic to help Riftan in the wars too. And he always refused. He saw it as a mark of his inability to protect her, to keep her properly, that she had to do the healing work. And the thought that she should help or protect him he understood as a challenge to his prowress as a knight, that she was doubting his abilities to solve every problem himself. He learned as a kid that he can only trust his own two hands. But I think he neeeds to learn to trust Maxis too, and to let her in. And in the new chapters Maxi is trying really hard to make things right, to give him thr security and closeness he needs when they are interrupted by Uslin, and he leaves. Then she is tempted by Sidina and Kalto, (who see and appreciate her abilities) and refuses, she is trying very hard to keep her actions aligned with her goal of being with Riftan, even at the risk of giving up her dream of becoming a more powerful wizard. True she can still learn from Ruth if things go well, but its nothing like world tower training, and beins surrounded by other wizards. Anyway I am proud of her decisions since they returned to ethelyne. And like I said in my last post I would love for Riftan to start including her, to give her an opening to help him in the field. Mapping the Ethelyne Labryinth with earth magic maybe? But he needs to come to her now, since his last move was to leave her alone and in the dark about what is going on.

11. covertcookie

Reading List:
    Link
    This is just *my personal opinion* while reading the novel. While Riftan is considered by many as an extremely strong person (Wigru reincarnation, dragon slayer, etc.), I find him having more difficulty in moving on from a very painful situation esp if it involves his precious people in comparison to his spouse, who was called super weak and useless from the beginning, but very stubborn and mentally strong (she may not realize it herself) and can easily move forward for the benefit of majority (she ends up being misunderstood as selfish for her decisions).

Hello5427, Lola_Neres, Ska_D and 2 others like this.
  12. poppypop

poppypop Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you so much for the spoiler!
    Hello everybody, long time reader but this is my first comment!
    Thank you again for all the hard work and the insightful discussions!
    I have a quick consideration to share, hope some of you may share my doubts!
    I am extremely suspicious of ALL the insistence of the mages in pushing Maxi to go back to Nornui. Why? What I suspect is that it is relates to her lineage to Roem. She not only might possess the earth power to control artifacts that was long lost, but also maybe some bigger quality that has not been revealed yet. Moreover, everybody seem so obsessed in separing her from Riftan, why so? Is because he may also have some hidden lineage or they would be too powerful together? (his real father’s identity has never been revealed YET). This could also explain why the king was dismissive towards Maxi even though she played a critical role in the first war and never squashed any rumors that aimed to divide the couple. It cannot be only due to a petty revenge against the duke. Same for Agnes, she might have sensed great powers in Maxi, and she is extremely calculating in all their interactions. I am not necessarily saying that all these people are bad, but there could be a hidden reason on why everybody is so determined in dividing the couple and isolate her back to WT

13. smita.g

Reading List:
    Link
    Agreed, like I said in earlier, Maxi's individual character growth is excellent. And now it's time for Riftan to change his views. He's hurt currently but according to the spoilers of 107 chapter, maxi kinda helped Riftan believe that she still loves and misses him daily. Riftan's broken heart will be healed if they just talk one more time... just one time is also enough.
    Riftan needs to grow and start trusting maxi now. Riftan already knows that maxi is amazingly powerful and brave. Now Riftan should include her in everything, be it about new plans or decisions. He needs to understand the their relationship needs to be move forward from bedroom and that Riftan also needs Maxi to protect himself and not just Riftan protecting maxi
    It's time for Riftan's character growth

14. covertcookie

Reading List:
    Link
    She's the Khaleesi or the avatar lmao
    That's a very interesting point! She even got the eye of Breston.
    I kinda think that Maxi is skilled because of her lineage (from a direct descendant, etc.)

Ska_D and poppypop like this.
  15. poppypop

poppypop Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    haahahah It may be!
    Yes she caught Richt’s eye in the “right” way, meaning he sees them as opponents (and he is gross and mean and dumb AF to say it openly for everybody to hear). I am also suspicious of Kuahel Leon, I may have the impression that he doesn’t harbor romantic feelings for her but more strategic plans related to her lineage and powers (going with the mages to check their progress in destroying runes for me was not motivated by his desire to be with her but to keep them under control). Maybe Riftan even suspects something and this could be related to the secret mission he gave Uslin. Or MAYBE I am imagining things too far Lol!!

Lola_Neres, Ska_D and covertcookie like this.
  16. YesA17

YesA17 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So, there is no conversation between riftan and maxi in 110? So sad

17. smita.g

Reading List:
    Link
    Agreed...like I have same questions!!
    Even I feel that Riftan's father might be someone who played an important role. I just pray they stay together as a power couple and they understand that ppl are trying to separate them

Ska_D and riftanilian like this.
  18. HappyGnome

HappyGnome Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I would rather see it as like this. Book 2 is much more about the world and politics now rather than their romance. This is the time where Max is included in world affairs (mind you she didn’t even know the currencies before in book 1 but look at her being able to participate in meetings and leading rear ends now) and have the time to focus on what her role is. I honestly am proud at how she made her decisions even though it was painful instead of becoming a clingy wife waiting for her husband to save her butt all the time.

It’s not like she didn’t listen to Riftan because she is «self-centered». Let’s say she actually wants to save her husband. Honestly, if it’s the other way around, Riftan would have done the same thing. Soooo… yea.

PS. Look at the big picture. Forget about the romance and look at how the author made an amazing magical world, their culture, and world affairs. This book is more about how this insecure young woman, who was ignorant of everything, became a famous brave wizard by the help of other people around her.

Lola_Neres, Ska_D, Elren and 4 others like this.
  19. marucalypse

marucalypse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you very much for this spoiler!

poppypop likes this.
  20. eidyia

eidyia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It certainly does feel like some factions, like the mages, have ulterior motives for wanting Maxi to be at nornui, or at least on their side in the coming times, she was already asked to represent them in osiria at the debate over the spoils. I don't think this applies to Sidina though, at least not in the same degree as it does to Kalto. I think Sidina just wants to have her friend by her, and all the wizards seem very skeptical of Riftan's treatment of Maxi.

Also I laughed so hard at Kalto sleeping in the library, just like Ruth! Must be a family/elf thing

As to Riftans heritage, his mother was a southern maid employed at croix castle, and she was laid off when she got pregnant. (She had slept with a knight who was staying at the castle) Then she married Riftans peasant stepfather. His father didn't have any land, only his weapons and some coins, when he died. So what was he, a younger son of some minor noble allied with the Duke of Croix? The big question is of his bloodline, and of whether he is related to the duke or to maxi, however distantly. It just makes me so curious! And I think the only person who may know the answer is the Duke himself, or one of the castle servants. Unless Ruth can find it out by magic. I wonder...

Anyway I hope it is revealed, and I want so badly for Maxi to find out that Riftan is the boy from the smithy who rescued her as a child, so she finally realizes how long he waited and worked to get to be her husband. That he wanted to pledge his geth and was rebuked by her father. All of it, all of it! But that probably will be the last scene of the book.

Oh and all the parallels, in 108 when he tears her underwear, like at the start of book 1. And uslin knocks only this time Riftan goes with him.

But I think Riftan looks furious now because of Sidina, and I think he heard Maxis refusal. I hope you are right, and they both realize that people are trying to pry them apart, from Kalto to Agnes, for reasons of power, so they can put up a united front instead of fighting and thereby playing into the others hands.