upcoming imp. uni entrance exam and i'm only reading mangas and novels HELP!!!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Sourwer.XDD, Jan 6, 2021.

1. Sourwer.XDD

Sourwer.XDD Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have a entrance exam for med school in less than 3 months. And i unable to study cuz everytime i try to sit and study i don't know how but end up checking for updates for mangas and novels and BAMM!! it's already night. Then i left everything for tommrw. I need help!!! Even when i put my phone and laptop away from my reach idk how i end up using them (;´༎ຶД༎ຶ`) PLEASE HELP...

skyfall3250 and otaku31 like this.
  2. FoolishCarp

FoolishCarp Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Using a standing desk helped alot in my procrastination

eray.gns likes this.
  3. northerner

northerner a stressed potato

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know if this will help but you could start setting up a schedule for reading mangas/LN and your studies. Then slowly lessen the time you spend on reading LN. Follow your schedule strictly. ;) Use novels or sleep to relax your mind from the stress of studying.

I haven't tried it tho but I will on summer vacation.

otaku31 likes this.
  4. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As someone who can't resist those particular temptations either even though I'm older and, therefore, expected to be wiser, there's not much I can offer in the way of advice. :sweating_profusely:

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
    northerner and Xxsafirex like this.
  5. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    Get rid of all the biggest distractions like phones, computers, etc. Give them to your parents as safekeeping. Even without those you'll find other things to distract you. You'll find yourself distracted on smallest thing like arranging books, looking at ants, daydreaming, etc.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
    Xxsafirex likes this.
  6. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    YOLO (is this still a thing?) the entrance exam, booiiiii~

7. OurPrinceNiki

OurPrinceNiki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Seeing this thread reminds me that I should prepare a college application

northerner likes this.
  8. skyfall3250

skyfall3250 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I had that addiction. I tried a lot to stop or read in moderation but couldn't do it.
    So I told my parents and told them to take away my control. So even if I desperately want to read I can't. :)

That will surely do the trick. Just give up the control to someone else.

9. Arcadia Blade

Arcadia Blade ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ You can do it!!

Reading List:
    Link
    One can easily get distracted on something so there's some tips that maybe help but i feel it won't be as effective to study.

-First off, always read the important tips which you think might come out on the exams.

-When studying, always find some place comfy to relax and maybe listen to some jazz or calming music to help out the distractions.

-If you like reading too much into novels, how about using your reading novel skills and imagine what your reading as a character in a story. [Ex. Regarding math, i used to imagine the algorithm to have something to do with a rivalry between numbers and letters, i once got into it that i aced on a test which used the context of the book as a plot source.]

-Take some breaks whenever you suffer from reading tireness and calm yourself by doing some meditation. After empty your mind, you can go back and study again.

-Humming something can be a bit of a good distraction if you lose focus and studying.

-Don't overstudy and only take what you can so you won't overload your brain from studying.

-have someone to help you review in your study by getting question in some topics so it should help out.

-Lastly, eating snacks while studying, especially sweet things can energize your learning capabilities but don't overdose.

10. PeopleLikeUS

PeopleLikeUS Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ~willpower~

Come on dude. This is an entrance exam to MED SCHOOL.

You can think of it this way:
    Regularly checking for updates can be a pain as most update one or two chapters at a time. If you leave it alone for a while, after you're done with the exam, you can come back and there will be a lot more chapters up for you to binge-read.

And maybe ask a close friend of yours to monitor your progress and keep you in check. Ask someone you would NOT want to disappoint.

You can do this! Let's gooooo

11. Sourwer.XDD

Sourwer.XDD Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I tried to keep my phone away but when i use my laptop for studying i end up checking for updates. And the worst part is that i tell myself that i will only read for 1 hr andddd when i check the time again my whole day is ruined. I am starting to hate myself but mind and hands are not helping :(

12. amaliajun

amaliajun [Gloomy White Cat]

Reading List:
    Link
    For the addiction, the simplest way is to make people control you. Especially parents. You can install app like Forest or app blocker too. (Tho this isn't effective if you know the app's loophole)

This differs from person to person, so let's check something first. Do you remember the time when you absolutely focused on studying? Try to recreate the conditions from then. Because some people have a great concentration(like my mom), some easily distracted, and that's not including learning style. Maybe try to study in a cafe or park (tho I'm not sure if they're open in your country). In my case, sometimes I study more seriously when there are other people. It's the feeling of keeping my own image as a diligent student.

My way of studying is to highlight and remember the important points. I rarely study in-depth and just focusing on key points. Sometimes I make abbreviations or songs to remember long-ass names. Look for tips and made a strategy. In my uni entrance test, I only did a few math questions and went all out in language and social study, skipping most of history and any topic that I don't understand. And I passed. Btw, I'm a liberal student. You should look strategy for med school yourself.

Schedule your study plan. Divide it into sessions with a break in the middle, for example an hour of study for 10 minutes break or 30 minutes of study with 5 minutes break. On break never touch your phone and laptop. If you need laptop for your study, install app blocker or site blocker. I remember some of those have a timer/schedule thingy.

Ask for rewards from your parents or prepare one yourself after completing the study goal. 30 minutes to an hour of novel/webtoon reading time should be enough for a day.

13. FIEND

FIEND i eat crayons

Reading List:
    Link
    lmfao i had this same issue and it carried with me, now im studying for the boards and boi is it hard to get rid of an addiction
    i just end up putting mental bans . the whole "do only 20 min" of reading or 3 ch and THATS IT never works. u just gotta do the "no touching manhua, manga, novel updates for 6 months" and be strict with it. otherwise nothing works

14. ExcitableFoci

ExcitableFoci Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Dw. If you do get in, you will probably have horrible studying habits throughout uni too lmao.

People don't tend to hear about how doctors also pass their exams via cramming the last week before their finals too lol.

15. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Self-control is a choice.
    Procrastination is also a choice.
    Although I don't think it matters if you fail now, since even if you fail in your 20s, you can always succeed in your 30s but if you do not change the bad habits that lead you to fail in your 20s then you will keep failing your entire life
    Go meet a mentor or tutor face to face that can actually help you instead of this forum