Recommendations Urban Magic Novels

Discussion in 'I'm Looking For...' started by Lehiye, Feb 8, 2022.

1. Lehiye

Lehiye Flopping Fish At The Market

Reading List:
    Link
    So I just finished not to long ago Carry On by Rainbow Rowell and to tell am addicted.
    I'd love to read something similiar but if u wouln't have read it or to be more specific here some stufff I'd like for it to have/don't have:
    1. Urban Fantasy - the magicians kind not the vampires and psychics the world can have them but not from their prespective
    2. No romance/harem (BL or GL ok if not cringe:blobmelt:)
    3. No mystery ( :blobspy: detective kinda or cops if we are at it)
    4. I prefer late YA or mid range NA
    5. No Kr or Jp spare me those
    6. I want No Hero or save the world bullshit if u could :blobcat_rawr:
    7. I like the magic school setup like in Harry Potter but more fun if just used as a back setting like in Carry On
    8. Min 100 ch
    9. I'd prefer something glum/low mood/dark but still full of humor if u could~
    10. No fanfic (HP I mean I read too many of those :blobsleepless: something fresh is what I carve)
    11. I want no whiny-minny protagonist at least have some backbone if u ain't the living badassness...
    12. For bonus: I LOVE sassy characters and black humor, and to tell Carry On is a full-on-out sassness war~ Just loved it! Reaaaally recommend reading it.
    Give me all thos Online and Paperback books ya got!:blobhighfive:

Ones found:
    1. Carry On (read)
    2. Unique Legend
    3. A Deadly Education
    4. Monster Hunter International
    5. A Darker Shade of Magic

Last edited: Feb 17, 2022
  2. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
    https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/14167/metaworld-chronicles - second chance, female MC wakes up in an alternate history, magic modern world. Excellent world building as the author contrasts the methods, magic-tech, history, and locations of this magic modern Earth with what the MC remembers of the old tech-based, mundane Earth. Major story arcs are set in Sidney, Shanghai, and London, along with excursions to other locales. Shanghai has the university and tournament arcs where the MC learns how to handle her powers and gets recognition. Also business empire building starts in Shanghai and the MC going big in London. She meets dwarves and elves during the London arc.

Lehiye likes this.
  3. PeanutButter and 23 others

PeanutButter and 23 others Purple Platypus Bear w/ Pink Horn & Silver Wing

Reading List:
    Link
    What happened if magic appear in modern world, it's not only bring wonder and miracle but also problem as well. First generation of mages try making world a better place (or worse)
    The Last Science by Etzoli
    https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/28687/the-last-science-se

Lehiye likes this.
  4. Darius Drake

Darius Drake A poster of verbose posts

Reading List:
    Link
    Arcane Ascension Series by Andrew Rowe. Though I don't know if it actually hits the minimum Ch limit. Non-Earth Highly Magical World that's still popularising mechanical industry (aka, they have trains & cars are new & expensive technology, both utilise modified magical energy instead of petrol & fire, though). MC enters a tower to get a mark that would allow him to utilize magical powers at the beginning of the first book, and enters Magic High School after getting a decidedly non-combat mark/magical emphasis despite his family being the type to put more emphasis on magical combat than things outside of that. Due to... situations I'm avoiding mentioning due to spoilers, MC gets into combat a fair amount and manages to become fairly dangerous, regardless of his mark. An interesting magic system, an interesting world, and a great story.

The Path of Ascension might be considered to mostly fit. Magical Sci-Fi world, where people grow in power through a method that basically combines "Cultivation" with "RPG Levelling Systems". There's a fair few different complexities to the growth system, but everyone has a unique personal power (called a Talent) that grows as they do, they cultivate using stored experience (called Essence) gained by delving dimensional dungeons (called Rifts) and killing the monsters within. People become immortal at Tier 15, can universally destroy planets around Tier 35, gain the ability to go to a higher realm around Tier 40+, and can only remain in the same realm with effort at Tier 50. MC, due to a variety of reasons, joins The Path of Ascension, a program run by the Emperor of his part of existance that sets people up to grow to their fullest potential by giving out a lot of small but important benefits/advantages to those attempting it, while stating "You have to pay for the more expensive things yourself, and reach these points of growth by this age to stay on". This is the MC's journey through the challenge, and has the MC go to Cultivation School for a short period (about a dozen chapters) early on.

5. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
    Lehiye likes this.
  6. Lehiye

Lehiye Flopping Fish At The Market

Reading List:
    Link
    I wanted urban like in normal earthly world just with magic like in Harry potter ya know...I dont get why ppl give me these scifi stuffs..more so for the cultivation

7. Conviter

Conviter Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i would recommend Paranoid Mage on royalroad. It does only have 12 chapters, however they are a bigger than usual chapters. But if thats not enough for you, youd probably have to wait for more chapters.

Lehiye likes this.