Discussion US Bill to Ban Loot Boxes and Micro Transactions

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Bitter Sweet, May 9, 2019.

?

Your opinion?

1. Keep all micro transactions.

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. Ban all micro transactions.

3 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Keep only cosmetics micro transactions.

8 vote(s)
    44.4%
  4. Other.

5 vote(s)
    27.8%
  1. Robbini

Robbini Logical? Illogical? Random? Or Just Unique?

Reading List:
    Link
    Unless it's modified to be as harsh as possible and passed, then there won't be a lot of change, even if it passes, probably.

If anything, I would suggest forcing any game with microtransactions to show a counter ingame of how much you've spent in real money (could be toggleable to turn off, but not from the getgo). That mere knowledge of knowing how much you've spent, would inevitable scare off some from buying ingame stuff. One of the key reasons why microtransactions are so popular, is that it's so easy to do it online, and you never actually see the money, so it doesn't feel as serious as if you literally handed over physical money, every time you bought something ingame.

runsing and Bitter Sweet like this.
  2. LordCorwin

LordCorwin Supreme Book Lord; Leader of the Fiction Faction

Reading List:
    Link
    This isn't exactly accurate. They can move their servers out of country and still pander to Americans simply because there is nothing stopping Americans from visiting sites located in other countries. I could set up a lootbox based site with a .de domain and what would they do? They can prattle on all they want about boundaries and restrictions and taxes but at the end of the day unless they block access or tax through payment sites, it means nothing. Rather they would be unable to advertise in the US. Unless they are going to block US based IP addresses from accessing the game, banning it would do nothing. And even then, a proxy could be used to bypass it. It's no different in my opinion than opening a game in China to beta access for SEA region participants and someone using a proxy to get past that. Am I wrong?

3. ANonMouse

ANonMouse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Do you seriously think that not being able to advertise in the US won't seriously affect their income? There's a reason why so much of the budget is shoved into marketing for AAA games these days. Marketing to manipulate hype is the best way to grab a massive audience on launch, which is usually the week the highest number of players will ever play that game at the same time. With so much multiplayer focus, they need that good starting base of players to ever get their plane off the ground. I'm not saying that Americans won't play on other servers (they often do for games they love that aren't available), but that is def not a thing the casual market does, and casual gamers are exactly who every AAA publisher these days wants to grab by their financial balls. You're looking at this from the point of view of an invested gamer who knows his options and makes his own opinions using his time and effort. I doubt that's more than 1% of people who play games, and I'm sorry, but YOU are not the core demographic these companies that abuse loot boxes are aiming for.

runsing likes this.
  4. nightcore34

nightcore34 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree with the spirit but what this guy is asking for is too much to me.

From the article - "Game developers who knowingly exploit children should face legal consequences.” Sure, this I agree with as long as it doesn't become so broad that you eventually get a situation where you cannot even advertise the game to children.

In my view, instead of outright banning this, there should be extra restrictions such as needing to input a pin or password when authorising the purchase (I haven't played the game so I have no clue if there is one already). It is not the government's job to control your child. I remember the days when I used to ask my mother if I could pay for runescape membership. It was like £3 or something, yet now kids just take without asking.

Bitter Sweet likes this.
  5. Ai chan

Ai chan Queen of Yuri, Devourer of Traps, Thrusted Witch

Reading List:
    Link
    As long as it's 'ban loot boxes and pay-to-win microtransactions', Ai-chan is certainly behind this bill. The predatory practice of current AAA companies such as Bethesda, Activision and EA has been really terrible. They're getting rich from exploiting children.

However, Ai-chan worries that they will outright ban all microtransaction. Ai-chan has plans for an MMOG based in Ai-chan's Fleet Online universe. There will be microtransactions, but they won't be just cosmetics. In the first place, it's a cooperative, not competitive, so you're not fighting other players, but an AI alien invader. If they ban all microtransactions, then this game will never see the light of day.

Basically, if Ai-chan wants to put a price tag of $2000 for small space frigate that people can fly around and transport other players in to bring the fight to the aliens, Ai-chan should be allowed to.

Last edited: May 12, 2019
    Bitter Sweet likes this.
  6. Ignus

Ignus Philosopher of Flames

Reading List:
    Link
    1st, Children should not have access to credit cards to purchase things online. If they do so without the parents permission, then it should be discovered on the credit card monthly statement.
    Responsibility is the domain of the individual, parent, and not the Government.
    The more laws made, the less freedom you have. Protecting Children from wasting their parents money on loot boxes, should be the responsibility of said parent.

Next, a free market is a good thing. There is a reason why the games that have taken the wrong approach, taken it too far, have mostly failed. (Even AAA companies have suffered PR nightmares, and drop in value due to their actions.)
    Limiting innovation, because a small percentage of individuals can not control themselves is very dangerous.
    Listening to the loudest extremists, weather they play the victim card, or the revolutionary, or the white knight asking you to give up freedoms to protect X, never turns out good.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
    LordCorwin and Sabruness like this.
  7. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    They serve a useful purpose (like as mentioned by others to fund continued development) if done decently but some games and publishers take it from a mostly beneficial thing to something that triggers Govts to move.

The biggest problems have been either absurd lootbox/microtrans attached to retail priced games which should be complete in the first place (EA and Battlefront 2) or they've been easily able to segue into actual gambling (the whole CS:GO skins issue). I have no problems with microtrans/gacha etc with games like Azur Lane or WoT/WoWs because they do actually help fund development and dont just go to line the pockets of scammers or overpaid executives.

LordCorwin likes this.
  8. LordCorwin

LordCorwin Supreme Book Lord; Leader of the Fiction Faction

Reading List:
    Link
    Well said.

Ignus likes this.