Use of VPN

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by vpnbest, May 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I can't help asking... Why does your privacy matter?

VPN is useless for anything aside from visiting content unavailable on your country AFAIK, I can't think of a single reason I would care about my online privacy.

... Unless I was putting excessive personal information on places publicly available that is, like saying I was going to a trip to another country for a whole month on facebook, when I have my address on display for any person that bothers to look, in this case my privacy is important because someone can actually break into my house. But well, I only use anonymous communities so I don't care for that.

2. noisypixy

noisypixy Sacatunn que pen, que summum que tun.

Reading List:
    Link
    For the same reason everyone (at least from my experience) closes the door when dumping their cargo on a public toilet.

It's an extremely normal body function and absolutely everyone does it. Closing the door is meaningless because people certainly know what you're doing anyway, plus doing it with an open door does not pose any big security risk, realistically speaking (I mean, come on).

But (and I'm speaking only for myself here, not sure about anyone else) at least I don't feel comfortable keeping the toilet door open. It may be weird of me to feel mental discomfort, and you may call me crazy for doing something as nonsensical as closing it, but I do it anyway because it puts me at ease.

Do you shut the door on public toilets? Why? Why does your privacy matter?

3. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh... That's actually the best reasoning I ever got. I'm amazed.

Doesn't really convince me to use it at all, but I can at least understand why you use it.

noisypixy likes this.
  4. noisypixy

noisypixy Sacatunn que pen, que summum que tun.

Reading List:
    Link
    I forgot where I stole it from but yeah, it's the easiest analogy I've read about it and it's easy to remember as well.

AliceShiki likes this.
  5. m7vpc

m7vpc Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I use incognito mode as my VPN