Non-Fic Using Husband Surname

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bright_Lucky_Star, May 10, 2020.

1. Bright_Lucky_Star

Bright_Lucky_Star [Previously Known as OrdinaryUser] The Blessed One

Reading List:
    Link
    Hello nuffians. What is your thought about wife who change her maiden surname to her husband surname, is it just pure tradition or there's practical reason of it like better administration for family to use one surname. In country where I reside most people doesn't inherit/use their parents last name, their first name and last name is their individual name, while it's true that several communities in here also have family name or take their clan name as their surname. Usually when girls married they didn't take their husband name and still retain their full maiden name for legal use.

But practice in other countries still called wife by their husband surname, for example when my aunt went to other country, people in there call her Mrs.(husband surname).

Last edited: May 10, 2020
    imK likes this.
  2. Effugium

Effugium [Investigator], Praise Shigure-sama

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it's just tradition? I don't know, my family doesn't do that :blobconfused:

Bright_Lucky_Star likes this.
  3. Green Apple

Green Apple Actually I'm secretly an orange.

Reading List:
    Link
    In my country each person has 3 parts of the name.
    Family name(or surname)
    Name
    Father's name.
    Family name is usually the husbands surname, but there are exceptions like combining surnames or keeping old ones.
    Basically family name means you belong to that family/kin and irc traditionally in many cultures sons continue the family tree while girls would join the families of their husbands so it can also be a possible explanation

4. Lazriser

Lazriser Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Except in cases where the husband has to marry the wife's prestigious family and take up her surname, it's usually the wife having her husband's surname. The only times I've seen wives using their maiden names is when they're estranged or divorced. I find it odd for women to get married to someone while possessing their maiden names. Doesn't exactly sound fit, like there's a distance between the couple.

5. Senros

Senros Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Where I'm from, I think you can (as a woman) take on your husband's surname, but the people I know didn't do that.
    I'm not quite sure if their legal name becomes this (doubt it), but I've seen women calling themselves, "Isabela Rodriguez de Torres." Meaning, her name is Isabela Rodriguez and her husband's surname is Torres. Though I would need to look it up, if it actually used in legal matters.

I don't see real, tangible benefits to taking on your husband's surname. At most you could say it makes the family be more of a family, because they all share the same surname, but that's a bit of a stretch imo.

Where I come from you inherite both of your parents surnames. First name (optional second name) Father's surname Mother's surname. That would be the structure used in legal matters. You could also make your name super long by simply going down your ancestors line and adding all their surnames in order, which might be fun.

6. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it's just tradition. Maybe long ago it was easier to manage humans like this, I dunno

7. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There are advantages to the wife keeping her maiden name... in the event of divorce, that's one less thing she has taken from you! :blobpeek:

8. DocB

DocB "I see you, little mouse! Run along"

Reading List:
    Link
    surnames, you mean your father first name with the suffix to indicate that you are its son or your mother first name with the suffix to indicate that you are its daughter. why would you adopt someone else parent name and worst it would even be the wrong gender unless homosexuality and all

9. Milanin

Milanin [Reader] [???] [Freeloader]

Reading List:
    Link
    My family is my mother taking my father's surname and me getting my father's surname.
    But there have been classmates in all school levels, where I have met people who have two surnames and even my doctors have mostly been two-surname, where they have their spouses and their or in case of their children where the child has both parents surnames while in rare cases the father has his and the mother has hers while the child has both.

10. Milanin

Milanin [Reader] [???] [Freeloader]

Reading List:
    Link
    Jarl Bob DocBson? Lady Bobette DocBdottir?

Deleted member 155674 and DocB like this.
  11. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    Probably pure tradition.

In the old-time, man is expected to lead the family, and woman to support her husbands, so it makes sense to take the surname of the master of the household.

12. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    There are no practical purposes, just tradition, really.

I'd be fine with taking the surname of a husband though.

13. akki

akki [Ani's C☕ffee-mate #3] [Shady Merchant]

Reading List:
    Link
    I dunno. It’s not something that’s been done in my family.

14. Moonlightwolf

Moonlightwolf Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I believe that, the wife taking the last name of her husband, is purely traditional. Probably stemming from the practice where the wife was “given away” at her wedding—which is another old wedding custom. In yonder-year, of who knows when it began, (but definitely taking place in the Middle Ages), women were treated like property. When it came to weddings, that meant that the husband gave the wife’s family gifts/money equal to that of the wife+her dowery. And at the wedding the wife was “given away” to the husband’s family—meaning she essentially became the husband’s property, with little to no contact with her own family after the wedding, hence the wife taking the husband’s last name.

In the modern era, the practice is purely traditional, and variations of how the women takes the last name vary by region.

Where I live, it’s common to take the last name of the husband, or for the wife to hyphenate her last name (like the wife’s last name is John, her husband’s is Smith, so her last name becomes John-Smith).

Reasons as to why the wife won’t take the husband’s last name (1) practicality—like if the women earned a doctorate/has a board Medical lisence/etc., by changing her last name she has to file paperwork to change her last name on all those documents. (2) husband’s last name is something ridiculous.

15. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    hmmm dunno
    this cat family not do that, despite da children may named with clan name, yes clan cuz family surname is common~ this cat clan spread across da country despite we may not know each other~
    anyway no this cat mother not change her name be it legally with law on civil registration office nor with nickname~ similary this cat cousin, sister in law from cousin side, granny, male who enter da family also not do that~ be it nickname or legal name~ ah btw on this cat family it free to give your children clan family or not~
    quite flexible~

16. imK

imK Artful Dodger

Reading List:
    Link
    Some cultures have a history of it as women were seen as belonging to the husband's family once she 'married out'. Also for practical purposes in said cultures as paternity/lineage was tracked through the fathers.

17. Mahou-nii-sama

Mahou-nii-sama Ultimate Cannon Fodder

Reading List:
    Link
    A tradition rooted in patriartchy. Women back then (even in some countries today) are seen as possessions, thus changing her surname means the change of her owner

imK and Moonlightwolf like this.
  18. imK

imK Artful Dodger

Reading List:
    Link
    +1 Two of my ethnic cultures traces paternity through the fathers, the third through the mothers.