Discussion Using Spatial Magic/Techniques for offense?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by sheeya, Mar 18, 2022.

1. sheeya

sheeya Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm looking for some ideas and inspiration regarding the usage of Spatial Magic in Cultivation novels or fantasy magic novels, specifically for offense.

Spatial magic in such novels is pretty common, and I've seen it often, but it's usually limited to teleportation and similar abilities - and if I've come across an ability that is irregular then I've forgotten which novel it belonged to. With so many chapters and many different novels, it's too difficult to track down.

So I'm curious what cool ways you've seen spatial magic been used for offensive purposes (if you could describe it, maybe even link novel or chapter page to read about it if you have something very specific in mind)

or

If you've invented your own idea or opinion on how it could be used for this purpose that you would like to sure, it would be most appreciated!

I'm especially interested in offensive methods where the spell/technique would have high destructive and/or penetrative power - the kind that might go through someones defenses and one shot them if they're not careful.

Just to give an example: One way spatial powers could one shot someone is if they create like a spatial black hole and either suck them in completely - or partially cover their body or head inside the hole and cut the connection so their bodies is cut into pieces. While this method seems pretty strong, in my mind I'm not sure how to make this kind of ability seem interesting or exciting, just seems flat out broken OP.

What I'm more looking for is something like a Beam/Ray of spatial energies as an example (not only this ofc) - but for some reason I'm having a hard time imagining condensed spatial energies that shoot out as a beam/ray as though it was Light energy.

I might just be overthinking it - but looking for some inspiration and different perspective to see if I can change my mindset.

Any help is much appreciated! Thanks.

2. FearFire

FearFire Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I can't remember which novel it was but the most novel for early game for space from what I recall was the usage was to take space and pull on it and space wants to snap back to where it was before hand. Usage was slingshoting projectiles or fast sword strikes.
    Not exactly a ray or beam like you wanted but yeah space skills/magic usually seem to be op or auxiliary. Good luck

3. DeirdreH

DeirdreH Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  4. Chiisai-hime

Chiisai-hime Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Some examples from anime/manga come to mind. The more mainstream offensive ones would be Inuyasha/Sesshomaru's Meidou Zangetsuha, World trigger's Mira, Black Clover's Langris and Zenon.

phonebinder likes this.
  5. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
    There's the old "input-output" portals pair to catch attacks sent your way and returned to the attacker from an unexpected angle.

Depending on how fast a portal can be cast, you could cast it under someone who's standing on the ground or in front of someone who's traveling fast. Of course, it depends on what's at the other dimension and if being in it is survivable if you want to be able to retrieve those people.

If you can set the permeability of the portal, ie make the portal unstable, then it becomes a disintegration weapon.
    If you can set the size of the portal, like wall sized, you can use it for area of denial.
    If you can freely move the portal after it materializes, you can deliberately shove it at people and things. And speaking of things, you can use it to dig trenches or tunnels. (note: you'll have to explain where all of that mass went and whether or not the planet will getting lighter if you abuse this technique.)

If you can open portals to specific elemental planes, then by varying the size of the portal to the:
    - elemental fire plane, you can have a blow torch or a plasma cannon
    - elemental water plane, you can have a water jet cutter or a flood
    - elemental earth plane, you can have "rods from god" or a land slide
    etc.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2022
  6. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    I suppose for a beam type attack I'd go for a concentrated spatial ripple (like a gravity wave but targeted) and have it create waves of compression and expansion within the body of those in its path. Would basically destabilize the cells in the targets body according to its strength. Remember that space isn't just cracks and portals, but also has a lot of potential from being bent and pushed on.

7. RevRedox

RevRedox Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Here are some spitballs I made:
    • Using teleportation in creative ways, like Gates of Babylon or Magical Cylinders, though as I just came with these examples, not terribly original.
    • Create bubbles of expanded space, throw them to enemy, collapse it, and cause damage with the resulting implosion. Straightforward progression as the character can make bigger expansions within the same volume, be able to control how much volume they use, and how stable the expanded space is. Bonus if the character uses the bubbles underwater and it causes flashes of light like when a mantis shrimp's punch.
    • If you want to have your character fire lasers with space magic, you can always make a quasar.
    I think what's difficult about this prompt is that space in the modern western interpretation is a dimension, a construct that, while flexible and has many applications in reality, is completely abstract and really hard to pin to a human-level phenomenon. The closest we get to pure space-related phenomenon is its interaction with gravity, which only really shows itself at the celestial realm. Of course, you could also take inspiration from previous philosophies, like what Aether was in medieval alchemy, and you'll probably find better ideas there.
    Another problem is how the magic system works, since I'm not sure how you're handling defense. Do opponent just clad there bodies in their energies or create barriers from it? Do they have to figure out how to use their element to defend themselves? If so, then how? If you want an armor-penetrating attack that doesn't break your story, you either need a cost or condition for the attack to pierce, a way for the opponent to counter it (which depends on how you want to handle defense) or have people less reliant on armor in the first place and be HP tanks.

In all, take this with a grain of salt, I'm someone who just got off from work and am a bit loopy. Hope at least this gives some leads for you.

Edit: seems people beat me to the punch. :(

8. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    One pretty good example would be The Wheel of Time series where portal magic normally used for travelling could also be used as a weapon if the user was skilled with timing and placement of it.
    You could open them up horizontially at someones feet and drop them into the sky so they fall to their death, or open and close the portal quickly in a way that cuts the opponent in half.