Discussion Virtual reality novels suck

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Mount Tai Unleashed, Jan 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mount Tai Unleashed

Mount Tai Unleashed This one has tai but can't see mount eyes

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean they ain't even reals man, it's all a game. It's all code n'sheet.

Also the stakes? Dying often means nothing, maybe losing some levels/gear or cash which is trash. A face off between two dogs fighting for the last biscuit is more interesting than that.

Even if they pull the 'you die in the game, you die in real life' trope which has been beaten to death all ready, it doesn't have any substance or flesh. It's literally just a bunch of code, even if someone gets their arm chopped off. it's not real, it's all illusion.

Kingdom building? what's the point? it's all fake. If the game crashes, there goes your empire. It just turned into a cloud of dust.

Also, these novels ain't realistic. There's no micro/macro transactions and ad's every 3 minutes, no premium subscription..

Corporate greed isn't something you can take lightly, you can bet your grandmother that they would do everything they can to swindle every last cent out of it's players.

EnuoFH, vjnbkmlf, Wujigege and 2 others like this.
  2. lunarshadow

lunarshadow Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  3. DocB

DocB "I see you, little mouse! Run along"

Reading List:
    Link
    It's a tangent but when i read a new vr novel i drink a shot when:
    Mc is in debt and uses the game to make money
    Asskissing works on npc
    Mc has a special reason why they can't die
    Hidden class
    Mc has an undead follower/pet
    Mc starts training in a dojo because reason
    Mc is critical hit expert but does not build around critical multiplier

zanari, Wujigege and kenar like this.
  4. Kuroguma

Kuroguma [Cyber Lich] [Aspie] [SOX][Forgotten Perv]

Reading List:
    Link
  5. vjnbkmlf

vjnbkmlf Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree.™

Wujigege likes this.
  6. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    How is a gaming company being the richest in the world while focusing all their resources on making a special snowflake class for the MC not real? I mean who doesn't want to play a game where all your efforts mean nothing?

Reminds me of this scene from Reincarnator where real people after going through multiple life and deaths are put into a VR video game and when they die, they die. But the gamers are told these people are cheaters and if they kill them they will get their loot.

And these VR gamers get so pissed that they lost items and levels when a "cheater" who put in "no effort" kills them. How DARE these cheaters! Do they not know that VR gamer needs those money to take his gf to lunch?!? And they dare!

I actually don't mind the death game VR. The thing that ticks me off most is the special snowflake in a place which exists for the sole purpose of balance. I find it actually funny that a comedy VR like Itai actually has the MC nerfed when they are OP. While most serious VR would give MC even more unfair cheats.

People collecting stuff due to addiction in games is nothing new. Gotta catch them all.

Premium does exist, the MC is the only subscriber.

Corporate greed? Nonsense, you don't get to be the richest company in the world through corporate greed. You get it by making 1 person a special snowflake and everyone else playing feel inferior. I mean aren't most of the population masochists?

asriu, kenar and Toralk like this.
  7. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I think no one can answer all those things that bother you till 'VR games and life' actually becomes a thing, I wonder if some crazy someone will pull the stuff that happen in novels then, especially the 'stuck in game and dead in it means dead in reality' trope :hmm:

Matteus likes this.
  8. Matteus

Matteus [潜んでいる] [Com Fome]

Reading List:
    Link
    images-3.jpeg
    You're too young, too naive to comprehend the complexity behind VRMMORPG.

kenar, orematcha and Dragiathan like this.
  9. palaraya

palaraya Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    VR with full screen ads every 3 minutes :notlikeblob::blob_ghost:

kenar and Mount Tai Unleashed like this.
  10. Diametric

Diametric Waifu Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    You suck :blobangery:
    jk love you really :blobsmilehappy:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  11. AIm21

AIm21 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey, some time they can be real and just disguises as a virtual reality like that Orc something Korean novel and that against something Chinese novel.

As for your other point... most Virtual reality that I have seen doesn't show things like ads, microtransaction, etc cause you have to already paid for it since none of them are free to play plus you see the riches kids around will whale to the top. So you would usually not annoy most paying customers with constant ads and micro-transactions is already thing just not for the protagonist to be used.

Also corporate greed is in constant play already since they are richest company around in most story and even other corporation is willing fork over a fortune to be the best in the game.

While the game may be code, but the consequences can be dire in the real world as just cause something is virtual doesn't mean it can't effect reality retroactively. As just like sinking hours into reading your favorite novel and can't stop even if turns to shit. Once you manage to grind so much for a long time yet still isn't good enough to be top 1M walking away isn't an option and so the game becomes more real than reality for any player that had already sunken to much time and sometime even money into the game.

12. Toralk

Toralk Certified Grouch

Reading List:
    Link
    The ones that really annoy me are the reincarnator(regressor) ones. Some god or fate or whatever reverses time itself and gives the MC alone the miraculous chance to live his life over, just so he can... be better at a VR game? WTF?!

The only ones I like are the ones where the MC is an invalid in real life. In those it actually makes sense for the MC to take the game so seriously as it is his real life in a way, since he can't do anything in reality. Also, being online 24h a day is a decent enough cheat if the MC uses it right. No need for BS one of a kind classes.

Also OSO, because I love the characters. Though I spent the whole first volume hoping the game was some kind of selection process by god or whatever to select earthlings to summon and the story would turn into a isekai. I even went looking for fanfics with that premise but couldn't find any.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
  13. Szara

Szara Your average American Psycho

Reading List:
    Link
    I find videogame-esque stories to be rather lame and cringey. I mean, I like to play video games, but I don't care to read about other people playing videogames. It’s not super exciting when you don’t see or experience it yourself.

And I get second-hand embarassment when the author starts explaining the game mechanics. Like yeah, I know what a DPS meter is, but the explanations ruin the flow/immersion of the story.

Villager Anonymous and Toralk like this.
  14. Villager Anonymous

Villager Anonymous Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree with all your points! That said Necromancer by Halosty is probably the only one I enjoyed as it was immersive and he died somewhat often with one of his biggest advantages is his class slightly shortened the respawn time. I also liked the character as most protagonists aren't slightly sociopathic stalkers (besides every fanfic mc where there is romance or lust).

15. kenar

kenar ヽ(`・ω・´)ゝ

Reading List:
    Link
    VRMMO game novels where the NPC doesn't speak predetermined lines.

16. Ram5

Ram5 [Noodle Stealer]

Reading List:
    Link
    What hilarious sometime is when busy CEO somehow also a pro player, that's unthinkable for me and borderline weird...

17. Overclock

Overclock Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So I didn't see any valid arguments why it sucked.

Losing gear or cash is nothing? In what context? At best losing good gear may mean a few hours/days to get a good replacement. At worst in novels where these items are one of a kind, grants you a great advantage, or is actually worth a but load of money of sold it isn't nothing.

Death in vr games. People still die so its valid. What's the difference between someone decapitating a real persons head and a vr game where you do the same thing and in the real world world their head explodes or is brain dead? Really is there some great difference.

Point of kingdom building if the game crashes? What's the point of kingdom building if someone drops a nuke on your city? It's the same thing but just requiring different methods. A game is safer and could just be fixed in days/weeks unlike a destroyed city in the real world.

In a vr game there are tons of ways to get money from players. Heck if it's one of those revolutionary all of humanity plays the game just taxing every transaction would make you richer than any country on earth. They'll have more money then they'll know what to do with.

Anything with value is real. There are video games and computer code worth more than most people will make in a life time and then some. Putting aside death games, long as there's big money to be made people will flock to a vr game and fight for all they are worth to make their fortune. Can't say how it'll be in real life though.

asriu and Nisaea like this.
  18. Nisaea

Nisaea Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Likewise, in 「Days After Apocalypse」, a character’s charm stat is affected by the community’s sanitation level and the accessibility of sanitary supplies and beauty products. For example, if a character’s charm is at 100, their actual charm could plummet below 10 in a community without a sanitary facility. However, unless the community’s stability level is low, this penalty can be removed by stocking on sanitary supplies.

If you don’t like this system, don’t worry. We have just the perfect DLC, 「Fatal Charm」, ready for you. Fatal Charm is a DLC that will fix your character’s charm stat to its maximum value, so that you, the player, can receive the benefits of having a high charm stat regardless of the constraints that should be present in a realistic world such as Days After Apocalypse.

Oh, you’re worried about the game’s balance? Well, guess what? We don’t care! Our company was finished a long fucking time ago. We’re just doing it for the money*. You guys just buy our DLC.

edit:
    You may just not like the genre, and that's completely normal. But most of the arguments you present come from a skewed angle so I can't totally agree with them.
    Most VR novels are not about life and death struggles, but competition, and it's completely different from an isekai with game elements or something along those lines where your arguments would hold more meaning.
    From a competitive viewpoint, even in real old-school MMORPG's like RO, Tibia, or Runescape, dying meant a huge loss of time. In RO, for example, dying made you lose exp equivalent to hours of grinding. And in Runescape, you would drop all your equipment and items in your inventory when dying.

Overclock and asriu like this.
  19. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    losing xp or gear not big problem?
    are you come from generation which use rmt aka money to solve everything on game? no wonder you think losing such thing on mmorpg is simple matter~ or maybe you kind of player who use money to buy bunch of new pre order game from typical EA game company plus dlc and loot box huh~ hence typical greedy company~

that aside most vrmmorpg story just typical another special one hero that numerous on typical adventure or action story~ it just add vrmmorpg on it setting

ads thing meh most those story not even bother it vr background setting~

20. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    The biggest issue is not VR itself, the biggest issue is that most authors have no clue how to write VR. As most of them think you need special snowflake classes and/or "uncommon skills" to make the MC shine. There is also the bad idea of trying to make the MC the best at everything.

In a death game or game world, the concept of fair doesn't exist. If you don't like it, too bad. But in a real game, people are just gonna quit. There is no way a game can retain most popular game if all your efforts are wasted just because there is someone out there who is a special snowflake and got some special class that makes all your effort worthless in comparison.

To casual people who haven't gamed much, these VR novels might feel appealing. For those who gamed hardcore at one point, these VR novels are nothing but cringe.

Toralk likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.