Discussion Visual Novel

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Shio, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Since this is a gaming sector in novel related site, I just think that it is very appropriate to have discussion about visual novel here.

Brief introduction
    Visual novel is basically pick-your-own-adventure story, where you could get different ending based on the option that you choose. It often mistaken as eroge (adult visual novel), although not all visual novel have adult content in it. I won't deny that most VN available contain erotic scene though. Several categories of VN are: eroge (adult content), nakige (visual novel created to made player cried), guro (meat and blood), and otome (romance VN targeted for woman).
    RPG/adventure game like Summon Night, 999, Ace Attorney and Atelier series could also be loosely categorized as visual novel as they contain different ending.

Personally, I mainly play VN from Nitro+ (Saya no Uta) and Nitro+ Chiral (sweet pool), with one or two otome game. It all started from several indie VN, and before I realize it I was already playing Saya no Uta. From chasing bishie to meat lover. I was quite surprised. Needless to say it really left deep impression on me.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
    nhanat and makenai89 like this.
  2. Red Gate

Red Gate Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you are looking to start reading visual novels, I would recommend Fate/Stay Night for fantasy or Katawa Shoujo for Slice of Life. I have recommendations for other genres but I would recommend reading those two to start.

3. Darkaeluz

Darkaeluz 『Whosays25 Onii-chan』, 『He who gave up on Love』

Reading List:
    Link
    If you want something to Laugh at the start and cry by the end I recommend Clannad, the interactions between tomoya and sunohara are pure gold, and the after story is just...

Ariki_Rastavara, NekoMK2 and Ravi like this.
  4. Icura

Icura Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My favorite is the Muv Luv series. First game, you trudge through. Second game, you start getting interested. Third game, you're blown away. Basically, first game is a high school love comedy, second game is the main character being transported to a parallel Earth near extinction from alien swarms, and third game is continuation. Very highly recommended. A mecha visual novel.

For my favorite fight scenes, I would recommend Kikokugai: the cyber slayer. Basically, Urobuchi Gen made a story about wuxia in a dystopic cyberpunk Hong Kong with plenty of cyborg martial artists. It's not xianxia style; it's wuxia through and through. Main character is fully human, using a martial art to generate electricity.

5. Detrolord

Detrolord Regular Pervert Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sigh Deardrops is the best LN it has bought all ages and 18+ the soundtrack is awesome

nah they never been a VN. Visual Novels is just a Light Novels w/ more pictures and alternating story like you said. It's like saying Chrono Trigger, Sengoku Rance and every JRPG as a VN. Just remember VNs doesn't have gameplays if they do its a different genre like ating Sims or something.
    Summon Night and Altier is JRPG
    and Ace Attorney is a puzzle solver/detective like Darangoroppa

6. Shio

Reading List:
    Link
    Rimu is cute~
    Several VN do have game play. Or at least based on vndb guidelines they do. Ace attorney is categorized as VN in wikipedia and vndb. Saying that summon night is a VN might be a stretch thought. My mistake.

7. Asakura Ouryuu

Asakura Ouryuu 【Eternal Lurker】【Lily's】【Shady Merchant】

Reading List:
    Link
    I recommend playing Rewrite by Key, it has comedy. The story was great, the MC (Koutaro) has a super power, there are other peoples with super power and ability like a sommoner (well, they was called summoner). In the beginning, there are several route to choose and after you finish all normal routes, you can start the main route (especially if you're lolicon). There also a special route, that you can finish/reach using a special method. And if remember correctly, Rewrite has it own anime.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
    NekoMK2 likes this.
  8. Shio

Reading List:
    Link
    Kikokugai sound interesting, I'll try to download it.

9. Anoncommander1

Anoncommander1 The Commander

Reading List:
    Link
    The only VN I play is Eroge with some nakige mixed in between and RPG/adventure stuff.

10. Amaelzaekil

Amaelzaekil Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    if my heart had wings is nice, and it is even on steam

11. FlowingSong

FlowingSong Otome Isekai Reader and Trash ML Hater

Reading List:
    Link
    OTOME <3 some otomes are free to play and not to mention are GREAT READS.

I liked Halloween Otome and The Second Reproduction. Re: Allistair - the introduction game to newbie otome players. Planets: The life of Normalcy has ended is also decent. Then there's Persona 3 Portable, Harvest Moon series and Rune Factory are the console ones. There's also the android/ios otome games which you wait to play. I find those kinda irritating but then again it's free but if you can't wait then you can buy tickets which are normally more expensive than buying the whole game if it ever gets released as a whole.

makenai89 and Poor_Hero like this.
  12. Shio

Reading List:
    Link
    Re: Alistair++ is good. Simple, but for indie otome game its quality is in upper level. It's only downside is that there's a time in the middle of gameplay where you didn't do anything except raising stat. Personally, I think android/ios games are unsatisfying in term of story and cg.

Poor_Hero likes this.
  13. FlowingSong

Reading List:
    Link

With regards to Android/iOs otomes, I'm a sucker for Voltage ones. *cries* I actually find most of their games repetitive and the MC stupid AF sometimes and the males too much on the ALPHA side. But I keep reading them. Some are pretty good. But it's like trying to find Diamonds in a pile of fake diamonds. I also liked Solmare's games. Nice CGs. Story is so-so. In a sense I wouldn't be able to come up with the idea for the story and characters like Solmare has. Their story and characters are actually pretty surprising. Surprisingly cheesy. Sexy scenes are also more explicit when compared to Voltage.

The game that really gave me feels though was Forbidden Love. The one where the MC has a Gold Digger for a mother and her primary choice is her brother who seems to have had feelings for her but because of some misunderstanding he ended up thinking the MC was the same kind as her parent. The drama was good and cliche but the main antagonist really got to me and the MC's brother, how I wanted to kick him in the guts/groin almost half of the time I was reading.

makenai89 and Poor_Hero like this.
  14. Shio

Reading List:
    Link
    For otome game http://breadmasterlee.com/ is pretty much my bible :D. I have to confess that I only play free VN right now, since I don't have income source and the currency exchange rate is pretty harsh. I really want to play Norn9 though. I'm pretty hooked with Otomate artwork, but not sure if I will purchase their game because the common route tend to be really long.

Poor_Hero likes this.
  15. FlowingSong

Reading List:
    Link
    XD Free games are what I'm living off of too right now. I just edit the parts that I don't like in my head and make it more err 'bearable'. Some console otomes are also playable via emulators. I was playing Storm Lover Kai awhile back it was nice too :D

Shio likes this.
  16. Lachiel

Lachiel Paradise Lost

Reading List:
    Link
    I played through all of Muv-Luv once. Took me a long time.. reading through all that text.. Q_Q

17. Shio

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, I my first VN is Saya no Uta which is comparatively short. I was shocked at how wordy VN is when I play Fate. Maybe I'll download Muv-Luv once this semester finished.

18. LivingCorpse

LivingCorpse Half-dead Neighborhood's Undead

Reading List:
    Link
    Maji de Watashi ni Koi Shinasai is a good one, it is one of my favorite too

19. Kyubey

Kyubey 第四ラボメンバー

Reading List:
    Link
    Ano... is this thread still active? I am thinking of buying a World End Economica. If anyone has played it, how is its storytelling? Characterization? BGM, and artwork?

FlowingSong likes this.
  20. holyshin

holyshin Moderator

Reading List:
    Link
    First one is ok. I rather enjoyed it.
    Second one is disappointing because it's modeled off an event that happened too recently. I wish the author had looked more into the past and used an event that didn't happen so recently, because, well, it's pretty lame to read a not in depth version of something that gained a ton of media attention that went further in depth.

Like, a few years back, I found golf balls of the company that the events in the second episode are centered around at a local course.