Discussion Vitality vs Endurance

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by 0000000, Mar 13, 2020.

Tags:
  1. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    This is very loosely taken from Randidly, but Vitality is total health points plus health recovery rate while Endurance is stamina points plus stamina recovery rate?

Perhaps I mixed it up, but doesn't Endurance governs resistance and defense points of one's body?

This is where I get further derailed as some works have Constitution which encompass both Health and Stamina (if they ever talk about it, it is as if their MC is a game character with limitless stamina plus specific hitboxes), the notion is that Health and Stamina are linked somehow, with lowered health you get lowered stamina.

Please help me with the differentiating of Vitality, Endurance and Constitution and whether if any single one of them actually deals with defense point (like reduced damage taken due to bullshitery).

2. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Are you asking for suggestions for your own stat system or?

0000000, asriu and DocB like this.
  3. Warlock Of The Void

Warlock Of The Void Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Vitality - Can be classified as Health Points and their recovery, I personally see it as a measure of lifespan ( how long u will live , from 50 - 100 yrs. ). This does not mean it covers immune system just how much time ur body will function
    Endurance - Stamina is a pretty accurate measure of it. But I like to see it as how much can I take, it should cover Everything from defense physically , mentally and spiritually. Also how long can u go on , i.e, stamina
    Constitution - The body make up . I think the best way to understand it would be to think the difference between a human and a Kryptonian. It doesn't necessarily cover health or anything just what or how the body is made up. Like carbon or other based lifeform.
    Now , honestly all three of the above are very closely linked that most of the time they r not even differentiated if the author doesn't want to show the special something that the MC or someone else has. They r interdependent and influence each other which is where a confusion like OPs comes from. Because they r so close author sometimes interchange or overlap these depending on their choices or needs.

4. Dragiathan

Dragiathan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think Vitality,
    Stamina , and Endurance are derailed stats from Constitution
    Vitality is simply HP, Stamina is Energy, Endurance is just DEF

5. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup, cuz I still suckish about it.

6. Dragiathan

Reading List:
    Link
    asriu and 0000000 like this.
  7. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    Dragiathan likes this.
  8. Dragiathan

Reading List:
    Link
    if you are going to create LitRPG novel please do tell me, I will read it

0000000 likes this.
  9. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    It will take awhile though, because I had been scrapping ideas after one another and finally came up with something simple, still in the process of the second chapter.

10. ExcitableFoci

ExcitableFoci Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Endurance looks good to me tho.

Specially if you get a lifesteal item or skill.

11. Deleted member 155674

Deleted member 155674 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I think endurance is related to your patience but physically in a sense, and vitality is related to your energy, for example:
    Let us say someone is being beaten up, each hit will cause damage and pain, damage is related to health (once health is zero then the person is dead) but pain on the other hand is something else and some people can tolerate pain more than others and that is a because of the difference in endurance (think of it as how far you can go when you are out of fumes), vitality will affect how fast the injuries sustained can heal :hmm:

0000000 and Diametric like this.
  12. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol no, the MC in hand has more of a grind exp by doing stupid shit, lifesteal on the other hand is an uncommon, if not rare skill for those in the world MC is in.

Initially the story was MC having only less than six stats, each broad as fuck, but somehow I felt I need to nitpick and screw myself up.

13. zloi medved

zloi medved Well-Known Green Tea Bitch

Reading List:
    Link
    VITALITY - life energy. In the case of an RPG, the numerical value of your "hit/health points" aka HP. High VIT = high life energy = high HP.
    ENDURANCE - the capacity to withstand pain and damage. This is what would refer to "defence points" in your words. A higher ability to "endure" damage translates numerically into higher "natural" defence.
    So VITALITY would define your numerical damage cap - eg. "50 HP" - and ENDURANCE would define how much damage you'd be taking from hits.

CONSTITUTION is a stat more in TTRPG where their stat system is way more simplified and streamlined because of how the dice roll mechanics and levelling works. CON impacts both "endurance" and "vitality" in TTRPG - for example, I play a barbarian character in a Pathfinder game with a high CON stat (18). This gives me a high CON modifier (+4). Your total HP is based on your hit die and your CON modifier, so my HP started off very high thanks to my high CON. My high CON modifier also gives me better AC (armour class) which is 18 at present. If a monster wants to hit me to do damage to me, they have to roll higher than my AC. So basically how much health I have (HP) and how much defence I have (AC) are both effected by my CONSTITUTION because for the sake of simplicity, these two things are merged into a single stat attribute. This is because the players have to manage these points and do all the calculations themselves.

A video game will be doing all the under-the-hood mathematics figuring out how different stats effect different circumstances, so that's why in video games, "constitution" is separated into two separate concepts - "vitality" and "endurance". If you're writing a LitRPG, you can throw constitution out the window because it's assumed whatever "system" exists would be using a game system that calculates the mathematics itself without user input.

0000000 likes this.
  14. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    And there is the issue of stamina, I have seen authors put them in Agility or create an extra stat for it. Then there are some just handwave it with Vitality.

15. Neigh

Neigh "Lich-King" "Harem-Fan" "Tragedy-Hater"

Reading List:
    Link
    Vitality is Health as in Hit Points, Recovery and maybe Lifespan.
    Endurance is Resistance from attacks/influance of outside (Heat,Cold,etc...), can also mean Stamina (if Body Stamina or Spiritual Stamina is yours to decide).
    Constitution is the Body Make up (Like Good looking/Ugly) the efficient of the Organs of the Body and the Combination of Vitality (Body Health) and Endurance (Body Resistance).

0000000 likes this.
  16. 0000000

0000000 I B SMILING!

Reading List:
    Link
    So from this thread I created, I understand that I can just screw resistance off my list of stats because I don't want it to be a horrible mess like its predecessors.

Sob, and I was hoping the self-immolation for fire resistance can show its face in this new work...

17. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Story-wise, the only real difference is which roleplaying game the story is based on. In this case, the real world use of the terms is discarded in place of the mystical so they become entirely interchangeable. In normal usage though they are a bit different: vitality refers to, well, a person's vital signs and is perhaps the closest of these to an overall picture of health; endurance is about the ability of a person to handle large amounts of physical exertion so it's more about fatigue; and constitution is about the ability of a person to withstand things like disease, poison, or exotic foods.

There are more alternative terms that can be used for this purpose: fortitude and stamina being the most common. But if you want a term to cover health, it's pretty easy to just call it "health" to begin with.

0000000 likes this.
  18. Diametric

Diametric Waifu Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    This is my interpretation:

• Vitality is how healthy you are, tying into rate of recovery. It can also have magical connotations of "lifeforce".

• Constitution is how tough your body is.

• Then endurance is how long you can withstand taking damage and keep fighting, which can come from both vitality and constitution, as well as willpower.

If you've read One Punch Man, then I can give some good examples:
    • Zombieman has low constitution, but insane vitality, meaning he can keep healing over and over. His willpower lets him endure through the pain and keep fighting.
    • Superalloy Darkshine has insane constitution, and unknown vitality. His constitution alone is good enough to let him endure through almost any fight. But his willpower is low, so when something starts to break through his constitution he starts to falter: this is how to break through his endurance.
    • Garou has high constitution and vitality, letting him withstand lots of attacks and keep recovering. But his main strength is his insane willpower, which makes him force himself to get back up every time he is knocked to the brink of death and push through, enduring.
    • Genos has high willpower, but his constitution and vitality are too low for it to count and so he can't endure most fights he goes through.
    Even if you haven't read OPM, I think you can probably get the gist of what I'm saying. If you have, then all the better.

0000000 likes this.
  19. Kadmos1

Kadmos1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It is vital to endure and the differences for these words meaning wise.

0000000 likes this.
  20. Nightow1

Nightow1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The "terminology" can be pretty wide in games and stories, it all depends on how sub divided the author wants to make it.

This is in real life but I see Endurance as the amount of pain you can take, from either muscle aches from physical activity or injury like punches and hits while Vitality is the amount of damage outright you can take. There is a big difference because you can actually be taking "damage" without feeling it, like if you are suffering from frostbite or even leprosy or in reverse, you can actually hurt without dying like after a sudden execise training session where you get muscle burns but you ain't going to die from them.

0000000 and Diametric like this.