Question Vote for which type of romance you prefer in a novel?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Rubyspecs, Apr 16, 2022.

?

Vote for which type of romance you prefer in a novel?

1. 1v1 I.e. Mc and ml mostly interact with eachother from chapter 1 till end

2. Harem

3. Love triangle

4. Romance 1v1 but multiple love interests hovering around Mc,

5. No romance element at all

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Rubyspecs

Rubyspecs Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I prefer 1v1 mostly, and absolutely stay away from harem and love triangles. And I get all irritated by reading about those average type Mc who seem to get the attention of 'special' side characters for no logical reason and all try to compete for Mc. They seems like annoying flies buzzing around Mc.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2022
  2. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    I choose both Harem and Love Triangle. I like romance and having a love rival makes it more interesting

3. hansora

hansora Someone Who Seeks Fluff & Heartwarming Stories

Reading List:
    Link
    1v1 even though I still read the ones with love triangles/harem, as long as the main couple is the endgame (if the ML isn't a scum) like in A Capable Maid

4. daisukenowaifu

daisukenowaifu ☆☆☆☆☆

Reading List:
    Link
    1v1, because love triangles are a pain. Rarely does the first ML impress me, but when he does, FL doesn't treat him that well. [I am looking at you, Yuki =_=]

Though I do read reverse harems, I end up showing partiality to one character... >.>

1v1 gentle romance is better imo.

5. Vico

Vico Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Huh. Hard one

6. Daitengu

Daitengu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Pretty sure I'm aromantic, so I pref just skipping romance all together as I just can't relate.

Fortunately/unfortunately romance in novels is generally rediculous to me. It's like reality TV where nothing is actually real. So I find romance to be more comedy and parody than anything else.

7. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I prefer 1 to 1 but I'll accept harem under the notion that it's serves a function. political harems, something like sevens, or 100 kanojo where the whole premise is that the mc has 100 soulmates.

I am not a fan of "so-called" competitions because authors rarely resolve feelings appropriately or drag it out too much. Jitsu wa Watashi wa is one of my favorite romance manga (should honestly be considered a gold standard) because the author took care to resolve those feelings, developed side couples, and didn't leave those characters stranded afterwards.

Also they either pick the worst love interest or it's incredibly obvious who will "win" (Nisekoi was super obvious and as for worst love interest...well hataraku maou-sama comes to mind...). Quints also pissed me off now that I think about it...authors wasting our time developing relationships that won't be OTP.

8. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    If there is romance I would say I prefer 1v1, but not necessarily that it is a relationship that lasts throughout the story, and I absolutely don't need romance in a story to enjoy it.
    Also you could still have the mc go through multiple relationships without it being a harem or love triangle, just as long as none of the relationships overlap.

BananaBasket likes this.
  9. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There's that too. Some people fetishize virginity so much they can't stand the thought of characters having had multiple relationships.

Nimroth likes this.
  10. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm honestly happy as long as all characters involved in the romance are well-developed. I don't care if it's a harem, 1v1, love triangle or whatever, just make sure each individual character is unique and interesting.

11. BananaBasket

BananaBasket Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    definitely 1v1!! I cannot stand love triangles because most of the time with love triangles you have an annoying misunderstanding. I like no romance in quick transmigration because well if there was a romance with multiple people from different lifetimes then it kinda feels like a harem and I don't like harem either. My favourite QT is QT cannon fodders records because Ning Shu is awesome <3

12. sjoohhhy09

sjoohhhy09 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm i'd say 1v1 or no romance at all, I still enjoy love triangles since it gives the story a little spice, but not so much. I get so frustrated when the guy I'm supporting ends up being trashed by the fl.
    Harem is definitely a no for me, i don't like seeing the mc being swarmed by so many people as well as being in a relationship with them, it just seems unfaithful and annoying to me
    But as long as it has a nice plot, good character development, heart-warming interactions and thoroughly enjoyable i'll like it