Vote Manipulation by King of Gods translator

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Bug Reports' started by Tiger2a, Sep 30, 2016.

?

Should the King of Gods translator stop rating manipulation?

1. Yes

40.4%
  2. No, it's fine to manipulate the rating

59.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greedyspree

Greedyspree 『Exile within the back room』

Reading List:
    Link
    I think people should be more bothered by the fact he has 23 chapters in queue and is offering a buy 2 get 1 free sale to get more...that bugs me quite a bit more.

2. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    That would be amazing, I'm all for that, but the translator is probably not just trying to get people to care or share their thoughts, if he/she did then what you're suggesting would have been there from the beginning.

No, it's most likely that the 5 star = chapter is meant to "buy" ratings & get an inflated popularity.

p.s. there should probably be a criteria for the reviews or it would just get flooded with random one word trash "reviews", but it's a great idea nonetheless.

3. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    why not give them something like warning?

4. TheLazySphinx

TheLazySphinx Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In my opinion, Its absolutely OK to do that. Only people who want more chapters, or in other words, people who like the novel will vote because of his request. It wont make people that don't like the novel vote for it, so its the same as asking the people who do love the novel to take part in voting and rating instead of just leeching. I also think that maybe the translator feels like he needs more motivation to translate more, and what better way to get motivation then seeing other people enjoying your translations and rating them as good.

runsing likes this.
  5. Raphael

Raphael Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I didn't vote but I must say I'm more inclined towards the its fine choice, I mean the guy is not holding chapters hostage if we don't vote, he is just offering people who already read the novel incentive to vote a high rank so that they can have extra chapters I mean only people who read the novel will see his offer and if they truly don't like it then they wouldn't give it the 5 stars anyways.

runsing likes this.
  6. Rickymex

Rickymex Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's bullshit. As @Tiger2a said he's asking for 5 star ratings. He's not asking people to vote or to give their opinion in order to increase the conversation but he's asking people to manipulate the system for him. Doesn't matter if the ratings are meaningless. He's spitting on the entire concept of this site as a place for people to talk and give their opinions about novels.

Shio likes this.
  7. OverlyFriendly

OverlyFriendly I should do something about

Reading List:
    Link
    Think of the bigger picture
    other translators could start doing the same
    the ratings will be all over the place and novels that deserve to be higher on the rankings will not.
    and members will no longer trust ratings, making ratings in the first place lose most of their purpose

GM_Rusaku likes this.
  8. die4jingshi

die4jingshi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't mind. As long we get more chapters, I'll give more stars.

9. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    So what is the bigger picture here?

Ratings becoming useless (which they already are) and possibly more authors giving out free chapters? I actually think the 'bigger picture' is better, since I didn't like king of gods and don't read it, but if this spreads and I'll eventually get more chapters on another novel which I do enjoy that's a win for me.

runsing likes this.
  10. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's vote manipulation. Offering incentive so people vote is ok, but the moment they give a star requirement, it's illegal. Just imagine it as government vote, but in less serious, smaller scale.

I do realize that the rating/review system that NU has is not perfect, but most dissatisfaction are from user that vote 1 & 5 + one line/ranting review. They are purely from the user. But if the vote are based on translator's incentive, what's the difference with erasing all rating and give them all 5?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  11. Unde-kyun

Unde-kyun 【FLOATING】【Rowing a rowboat】

Reading List:
    Link
    Still free chapters for me :v

12. Nyanko

Nyanko Psychotic Cat Princess

Reading List:
    Link
    @oly. Consider it like this, you can only give a vote once, can only give a review once. If people are reviewing and rating then they want more chapters, they must think then the story is good. I see it at the same ethical level as asking for donations.

13. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Locked. Let the boss handle it later when he's online.

nhanat and Tony like this.
  14. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's definitely vote manipulation. I removed all of the 5 star ratings from the 29th till today. I'll try to find him on discord and have a talk with him. I don't want other translators following this as it'll mess up the current rating system.

Thanks!

15. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I had a talk already :D

Arcturus, Ophious and Tony like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.