Votes and Ratings

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Bug Reports' started by Aina Seira, Oct 23, 2016.

1. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    Exactly who would be determining that rating? lol

2. thymee

thymee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    harem tag?? what bullshit are u talking about, most ppl here hate jap novel & harem tag :v

ppl give 5 star if er gen and iet novel, will give 1 star because jp novel...

3. Dragn555

Dragn555 Writer of Unnecessary Essays

Reading List:
    Link
    I just ignore all the one and five star reviews. Though I will say that when I see 25 5 star reviews when only the prologue is out, it really makes me wish there was a restriction for reviews. Just a 10 chapters released requirement would be nice.

Well that's more or less just part of the joke of Invisible Dragon. If you read most of the reviews, or just read the synopsis, then you know what you're in for.

4. Freakazoid

Freakazoid Freakazoid member

Reading List:
    Link
    shouldn't be that hard to do, almost all novels are M, Ao or T o_O

[​IMG]

5. NIlsy

NIlsy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you made it binary 1-0 or in good-bad only then everyone would use the same system of grading, as it is right now some use the 1-5 and some use 1 OR 5.

Large enough numbers and 1-0 would be still give a 1-100 grade and this time readers cant "rage 1" or "hype 5" lie

6. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    True but whoever decides the rating would have to actually read the whole thing to be sure, and different people will rate even those things differently.
    Still would be kinda funny to see some novels get a EC rating. lol

7. darkqi

darkqi His Majesty, Ji Ning's Immortal Servant

Reading List:
    Link
    honestly just don't look at the ratings before reading a novel, i mean usually the summaries or first couple chapters are enough for me to either get interested or decide im not gonna read it

8. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Well maybe we can do a 3 layer rating system: First layer is how you felt immediately after reading.
    Second layer is how the translations and accessibility was soon. Third layer is how you felt the story and plot was from a critical point of view without any emotions..you know the rational rating.

9. rdawv

rdawv The Ancient of Lore

Reading List:
    Link
    Ratings can never be perfect. Consider that some novels might be the reader's first experience with that particular genre or topic, thus his or her opinion on all other stories of the like will forever be coloured by it.

10. Black Heart

Black Heart A Perfectly Normal Individual

Reading List:
    Link
    Sigh~ Nothing is perfect even pringles has air in it, lets just use it as a basis.

11. Duck Knight

Duck Knight Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol why the fuck people care about other people rating, on here and on mal smh

12. ninish

ninish ✿Fujoshi✿ [#224~] [Dʀᴀɢᴏɴɪsᴛ] [Lᴜʀᴋᴇʀ Lᴇᴇᴄʜ]

Reading List:
    Link
    i normally don't look at ratings when looking for a new novel to read. but when I find one I did like having too many one stars when the quality of the work is good, the tags are clear and even the translation is flawless, it makes me wanna flip all the tables from here to mount tai. a good work in its genre will be a good work anywhere, anytime. I flee from the Yuri/shoujo ai tags on sight, but that doesn't mean a work which contains it is a bad work. I was reading dragon's bloodline until it went down the Shoujo ai route, and I still think it was a good novel (maybe not the greatest out there, but it was good). thus, I'm not going to rate it any less than it deserves just because I dropped it because it contains a genre I don't like.

so I believe one problem is that when people are extremists haters of a tag (ex: ntr, BL, harem, Yuri, etc), then they immediately rate the novel with 1 star because of it. hey, then what about all the other good points of the novel? did you seriously not enjoy it for a single moment before it went that way? of course, some novels are bad and others are horrid, but it's sad to see some novels which clearly have good points be 'tainted' with so many red stars.

there's also the people who don't even read something and just auto-give 1 star to novels which contain a certain tag. like, seriously? did you even read past the title and the tags? some BL novels listed in NU haven't even been fan-translated because they have been licensed, and not a single chapter of them can be found on the web but they still have red stars.

I'd suggest that's only possible to rate a work that's effectively in your reading list, just to give these people a little more trouble when they try to do this, but I don't actually believe it'd be all that helpful.

another thing I find troublesome with ratings is that people include the quality & speed of translation in their rating. I don't believe this to be valid, though that's my opinion.

tl; dr

-I was ranting about people rating a novel badly because of a single reason, ignoring any other literary value a work may have
    -I was also ranting about people who rate things without even reading them because of a single tag
    -and, I don't believe ppl should include translation quality & speed in their rating, by reasons are too long to list.

Flores520, Lazybum0 and AliceShiki like this.
  13. Jyindo

Jyindo Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Am i one of the few who actually enjoy the mismatch ratings? i prefer the love it or hate it to the kinda like it kinda not my thing
    i personally think the star rating thing sucks novels should instead have a hit or miss button or sumthin.

14. FaeCraivaez

FaeCraivaez Ice cream lover ~ Issis #1 Subject- i think

Reading List:
    Link
    Aren't some of the manga websites like that? Hit or miss I mean