VPN for VRV

Discussion in 'Tech Discussion' started by Gvarph, Oct 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Gvarph

Gvarph Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So I heard that VRV is a cheaper alternative to paying for crunchy roll and Funanimation, but it isn't available in my country (Czech Republic) and found out that I could buy a subscription through a VPN. Do you think that it will work even after I disable my VPN (using tunnelbear free trial - 500MB a month).

erowarrior likes this.
  2. Luxcilla

Luxcilla Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There are other free VPN that has the same speed and no limit.. Not sure about security though..

I personally use Turbo VPN and no issues whatsoever ..

3. erowarrior

erowarrior Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No it won't o-o
    I have a lot of experience with censorship and the moment you disable VPN your connection will restart and you can't use it anymore.

4. Mebu

Mebu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I wouldn't recommend that if you're only willing to use tunnel bear
    I mean like you should find a decent vpn that's doesn't slow down your internet by much but doesn't have a limited usage(500 mb aint enough for a dozen anime episode)'
    Example would be cyberghost
    And no.Most likely it wont work after you turn off your vpn

Indiboy likes this.
  5. Suijin

Suijin Blood God [Medic]

Reading List:
    Link
    free vpn is cancer.

6. Trane

Trane Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Variable Refrigerant Volume

7. Khatulistiwa

Khatulistiwa An Egg Eternal

Reading List:
    Link
    I used SoftEther VPN, it's free and really good

8. Lswarmruler

Lswarmruler 『Anya, The Cutest Esper Loli』《Spy x Family Manga》

Reading List:
    Link
    Emm, why dont u take it easy and just pirate the anime, like many people did..

but whatever, u maybe those kind of person who want to support anime industry, and nothing wrong about that....

9. He

He Stop using the net, you net addict.

Reading List:
    Link
    Why is this? Except for data mining?

10. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Funneling all of your internet traffic through a "free" VPN is just a plain bad idea. Nothing in life is free. When you are using something that's "free", you are the product that's making money for the service. Some "free" VPN services inject ads. Some track your internet usage. Others provide a gimped version of their premium product as a way to entice you into purchasing the premium version. In the case of TunnelBear, you are getting 500 MB, which isn't even one episode at 1080p.

If you purchase a subscription over VPN but subsequently disable it, I can all but guarantee that you won't receive service. Geo-blocking works by identifying the IP address you're using to connect to the service. If your IP is in a range that VRV doesn't want using the service, then you won't have access. It has nothing to do with the IP address you used to purchase a subscription, though you may be denied access to the service outside of the region where you purchased the subscription.

Edit:
    The two VPN services that I use are mullvad.net and airvpn.org. They both provide servers in multiple regions with decent bandwidth, no service blocking, and don't charge a ludicrous sum of money.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  11. Ral

Ral Not a Well-Known Member ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reading List:
    Link
    I've been using Private Internet Access for almost two years now, and I've had no issues with it. It's fast, has many servers and I haven't found a better VPN yet, so I'm gonna renew the license once it runs out.
    In the past I used HideMyAss, but it didn't have as many servers and was rather slow, IIRC. But that was a few years back, so things might have changed since.

Anyway, I recommend you read some articles about vpns, before choosing one: https://lifehacker.com/tag/vpn
    And yeah, paying for one is well worth it. And the 2-3 year licenses are usually quite cheap (compared to monthlies).

12. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you want a site that provides unbiased reviews of VPN services, check out: https://thatoneprivacysite.net/blog/

The problem with a lot of VPN reviews is that the reviewer is an affiliate for whatever VPN service they review. As an affiliate, if a person clicks a link to buy the VPN service in the review, the reviewer gets a kickback. That lifehacker article about PIA also contains an affiliate link. Thus, the review was not unbiased, since lifehacker gets a few bucks every time someone buys PIA through the link in their review. https://thatoneprivacysite.net/blog/ doesn't make use of affiliate links. Instead, it subsists on patreon and donations to stay afloat.

13. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    So... You're saying that it's a bad idea to access content you wouldn't have access to for free, when you could've paid for it instead?

I'm confused on your logic... I don't mind they earning money on me, as long as I don't pay money myself, I'm good...

14. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The P in VPN stands for private. It means you don't trust your ISP to see your data. It means you don't trust websites to determine your location based on your IP address. It means you don't want random people on the same Starbucks WiFi as you to be able to read your datastream. For me, it also means I don't want my VPN provider to log or read my traffic as it flows through their VPN exit node.

One of the major features of VPN is that encrypts your data so that it's protected from prying eyes. The downside is that all of your data has to flow through a chokepoint at the VPN exit node in order to be decrypted and sent to the rest of the internet. That means you have to trust your VPN provider with every bit of data that you put onto the internet. Running a VPN service isn't free. In other words, if you're not paying money for the service, the VPN provider has to do something to recoup their cost.

Generally, VPN providers will do one of two things to make money off of you. First, and most benign, the VPN provider will offer you a very limited trial to entice you to purchase their premium tier product. Alternatively, they'll manipulate your datastream by injecting ads into your content or tracking what you're doing online to sell that to other advertisers, or both. I consider that a serious breach of privacy. Also, you get crappy service on the free tier of most VPN services with data caps, throttling, service limits (i.e. no BitTorrent), and/or overloaded servers.

Paying your VPN provider a handful of dollars a month to get unlimited access to their service without logging, sniffing, or injecting anything into your traffic is a reasonable value to me. Maybe you don't see a value in it, and that's fine. It doesn't change my opinion that using a free VPN service is unwise, and I'd be remiss if I didn't warn a prospective VPN user away from free VPN services.

Too Honest likes this.
  15. Too Honest

Too Honest Creature of Repressed Desires

Reading List:
    Link
    I actually dont care if my ISP looks into what i do. I might be disgusting, but at least im not a danger to society.

16. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh, got it, you're a group of the paranoid people (no, I don't mean this as an insult, there are a lot of people that are paranoid about their privacy online for some reason, it's just something I can't honestly understand), that's the problem I guess, what you're seeking and what the OP is seeking (or at least what it looks like the OP is seeking) is different.

I think most people that use VPNs couldn't care less about their privacy... Just like... I'd say 90%+ of the people that browse the internet, but this is a number I said from the top of my head, don't take too much into it.

In any case, the OP seems to want to use a VPN to access content they don't have access to (which is the only reason I ever used VPNs as well), not because they're afraid of their data being stolen... In that case, a free alternative works perfectly well, having some ads injected into your content or having your data capped is generally not much of a problem anyway, so a free VPN would do a lot better than a paid one, since money isn't really easy to obtain.

Of course the paid one is better in every aspect, that's why it's paid in the first place... But still, to say it's unwise to use a free service that does exactly what you need with meaningless downsides is... A bit weird to me.

If what the OP was asking was for a VPN that actually protected their data though, then I'd definitely agree with you on the point that using a free VPN would be unwise for them, but that isn't the case of this thread.