LCD Warlock of the Magus World

Discussion in 'Latest Chapter Discussion' started by Kelvk, Jan 22, 2016.

1. VixenKiss

VixenKiss Machiavelli the Princess

Reading List:
    Link
    Going by that logic, why didn't Mystra recognise him? Alustriel (a chosen and of much higher position than any priest) and countless other wizards that worship Mystra interacted with Leylin, far more than any priest of Waukeen.
    Not sure what to say about the Malar incident, and yes he had a lot of contact with wizards in Silverymoon (point above).

Let's just say she was too occupied nurturing Alustriel, her chosen (plot armour for Leylin obviously).

But how far did they look? From what I understood, they simply looked towards Debanks, realised it was a "native" demigod and lost interest after that.
    I'm sure if they actually looked, like visually, they would have done something.

jirka642 and mrttao like this.
  2. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    wait a minute...
    if waukeen realized that the "native demigod" is leylin... then shouldn't that raise her suspicions about his deep secret that he can absorb native faith unlike other gods?

3. wonderer

wonderer Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    doesn't lessen her vigalance? as by using native faith he would never be able to become a god? if he was a normal inhabitant of god world? As in the stimulation he done with the AI chip, the god infected falls out of the material plane and becomes a totem or something for the natives and the strongest totem are demi-god level.

So why when god decend they are legendary not demi-god?

4. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it might be a divine being instead.
    And the reason it is not a demigod is because they are sending down a clone rather than actually descending. While a demigod is the strongest thing allowed in the prime material plane, the act of a true god sending a clone doesn't necessarily produce one.

Maybe it is too expensive, maybe they just can't make a clone that powerful.

5. wonderer

Reading List:
    Link
    So leylin finally reached rank 6.9 again. yay time to progress beyond that level of power
    And am I the only one that finds it weird that leylin is still human? since the native and his followers probably see thier "god" as a giant snake.

6. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    c1004
    Didn’t leylin always parody and laugh at the “a breakthrough in the life and death of battle”?
    How come he is suddenly having one in a desperate situation?

> It was a rare opportunity to watch the sea of World Origin Force surrounding the ascent of a new god, and no god would let it pass them by.

Except for every single god in the main continent who ignored it after detecting the general direction and assuming it is a native.

7. wonderer

Reading List:
    Link
    but all his breakthrough have been this, not counting aycolte and subranks, as well as god world, where its been mostly smooth sail.
    -rank 1, he had no idea what warlock was but went with it. and he killed the grandson of that other magus
    -rank 2-3, he sarcifed a bunch of people on the battlefeild
    -rank 4, oroborous clan was at war with morning stars
    -rank 5, fight with laws contained in frost giant blood
    -rank6, he was under the all snake curse, and was close to dying.
    other than maybe rank 5, all of these have been life and death for him if he didn't breakthrough

jirka642 likes this.
  8. JackStone

JackStone Wow. How nice. Good job.

Reading List:
    Link
    Caught up.
    Why does he suddenly make a breakthrough? Deus Ex Machina!

mrttao likes this.
  9. Silangan

Silangan Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Probably because he doesnt want to piss them off, yet. He's still not even a True God, how can he contend with everyone else? Even if he was a True God (A rank 8 peak iirc), he'll prob wait until he's Rank 9 to piss of these powerful existences.

Unlike regular shounen power ups in life or death battles though (ie random super power abruptly popping up when there's no hope whatsoever), Leylin actually planned for it to happen.
    Rank 1: He went back after acquiring his stuff, synthesized the blood to make it purer and advanced later on.
    Rank 2: Scenes of him plotting something was shown.
    Rank 3: Planned beforehand, and probably one of the most saddest scenes for me. He made everyone else do the hardwork for him, and then made them into his Destiny Coin. F upped.
    Rank 4: This would prob be the closest thing to no-hope-shounen-power-ups. But he did start on it before the actual life and death battle.
    Rank 5: He needed the blood, and plot armor helped him acquire it.
    Rank 6: He brought Beelzebub and cultivated the Word Tree.

His power ups went a little too well, but Plot Armor. This most recent power up was the only think not foreseen and it was in the middle of battle, too. So this is probably the only one you can count.

It was the POV of the native demigods, who has poorer resources compared to the Gods on the continent. Probably. Idk. Im just making up excuses here lol

10. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No, all your examples are wrong

Rank 1 - That was not a breakthrough through battle in any way shape or form. He knew there was an inheritance, killed the guy to take it, and then spent some days after the battle synthesizing blood in a laboratory and performing the breakthrough in a small town where everyone died

Rank 2 - He specifically set up a spell formation. This is NOT a "breakthrough in between life and death" where the MC is pressured so he suddenly pulls new powers from his ass. That is him preparing for a while and using a spell formation to breakthrough

Rank 4 - It being threatened is not a battle. He spent hundreds of years slowly absorbing radiation. And then when the threat was high he sacrificed the lamia bone (which was more efficiently used slowly over time) for an instant boost. Which he has done in his tower, not during battle. If he had not been threatened he would have broken through more slowly without sacrificing the lamia bone.
    Regardless, it was not a battle breakthrough

Rank 5 - Again, bullshit. He fought the law containing blood first, killed the conscient in it, and then consumed it as an ingredient. Higher level ingredients requiring subduing is not the same as "MC fought in desperate situation when suddenly, boom! the pressure of life and death caused him to breakthrough".

Rank 6 - So what? being cursed has absolutely fuckall to do with the breakthrough. which happened by him plotting in advance, feeding the world will with the wisdom tree clone, and then using the boon from it to kill the others and consume them for a powerup. which again, is not a "breakthrough from the pressure of battle".

VixenKiss and Mildlyvenomous like this.
  11. Viola

Viola Studio Ghibli Fanboy Mother of Learning Fanboy

Reading List:
    Link

Damn! Straight Savage!
    And at the same time 100% correct.

The only time he ever did the breakthrough because of battle thing was this most recent time breaking through to become a Demi-God and ignite his Godfire.
    But even then it isn't like he was fighting and randomly understood everything that was keeping him held back from advancing. He used their own power as a catalyst for his breakthrough.
    And anyone saying this is some Dues Ex Machina crap (Not you mrttao) is forgetting about the true power he could bring to bare. Forgetting about the Floating City aren't we? He used their own power to intelligently facilitate his breakthrough early so he would not have to expose himself of the Master of the City.

Agame, jirka642 and mrttao like this.
  12. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Has he though? this time there was no mention of him actually planning this.

13. Haiku575

Haiku575 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree that there was no mention of him planning anything, but the fact that he was calm throughout the whole encounter must mean it was all within his expectations I guess.

jirka642 likes this.
  14. Viola

Viola Studio Ghibli Fanboy Mother of Learning Fanboy

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not saying it is his best breakthrough.
    It does stink a little but we are comparing it to Dues Ex Machina and the stereotypical Xianxia breakthrough mid fight.

He calmly analyzed a new situation and used their strength to boost his. It wasn't like he got hit with their spell and the energy of it randomly and much to his surprise led to his breakthrough.
    Or the fact that he saw this Demi God and suddenly became inspired which led to his advancement.
    The way this was done while not as good as others is infinitely better in comparison to my examples of how it normally goes down.

He also had a preferable outcome and a less preferable one.
    The better one would be him beating him with his own power.
    The worse of the 2 would be outing himself ad the master of the floating city.
    He was never in any real danger at any point.
    In our context of Dues Ex Machina it would be getting a power up out of nowhere to save your self from an otherwise impossible to get out of scenario or beat a previously unbeatable opponent.
    Leylin could have killed them the moment they showed up. He was never in any danger whatsoever.
    So to me there was no Dues Ex Machina.

Past breakthroughs were better but this one is by no means bottom of the barrel. It is still decidedly above average.

jirka642 and mrttao like this.
  15. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, that is by far the bigger issue.
    I absolutely loathe it when the MC commits suicide for a pair of tits only for a deus ex machina to save him. Whether it is a breakthrough or his cheat "automatically activating and doing something profound to save him, and now he can analyze this profound thing to learn new functions of the cheat".

Cheats should only be manual activation!

Viola likes this.
  16. VixenKiss

Reading List:
    Link
    I would say that the whole planning to gather faith via the plague, and as recent as getting Akabar to attack his staff illustrates how well he planned everything out.
    There are some elements of Deus Ex Machina, but it isn't as bad as most other Xianxia imo.
    No explicit mention of him planning all of this, but it's pretty clear from the progression of recent chapters he did. Especially with the whole phase like mentality Leylin demonstrated (i.e "It's time to go to war now" etc.)

jirka642 and Viola like this.
  17. mrttao

mrttao Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The thing is, since the author bothered to show us how he planned the rest, why the omission on him actually planning that breakthrough?

also, as c1004 says
    Even if he had planned it, its the first time that "pressure of combat" was the cause instead of "I killed them then I ate the corpse" or "I killed them and then I burned their souls thanks to a premade formation"

As said, it is not nearly as bad as normal xianxia because he might have planned it and he was not actually in any life and death danger, just a danger of revealing a trump card he wanted to keep a secret.

But it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth the way the author did it this time. When before he would be parodying it instead

edit:
    This one was an attack by the enemies though. not him going on the offensive.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    Viola likes this.
  18. VixenKiss

Reading List:
    Link
    I won't reply to your previous points as they are valid.
    That still doesn't detract from the fact that he was methodically planning his time in Debanks as phases, and it just happens that the tribal gods attacked during the time Leylin decided to go into the war phase.
    Leylin would have baited the tribal gods one way or another, or personally attacked them had they not shown up.

mrttao likes this.
  19. wonderer

Reading List:
    Link
    How the hell does his followers even believe the "pray" they are saying? ruler of massacre and monarch of the devils. those titles are the opposite of what a saviour is.

Agame, jirka642 and mrttao like this.
  20. VixenKiss

Reading List:
    Link
    You don't have to be "good" to be a saviour.

Saviour:
    Leylin meets all of these requirements.