Discussion Was the bullshit worth it?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by juniorjawz, Nov 22, 2017.

?

Was the bullshit worth it? (Ranked best to worst)

1. Worth it!

8 vote(s)
    9.8%
  2. Eh... so so. Good and bad.

30 vote(s)
    36.6%
  3. Nope, not really. Still reading though.

26 vote(s)
    31.7%
  4. Nope, I'm out, dropped and in the thrash. (aka completely no)

18 vote(s)
    22.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ok. Think of a novel that has these types of stuff :
    Bullshit plot armor, bs ass-pulls, bs power ups, bs character interaction, (addon edit) bullshit filler, etc.

After reading all of that and hating on those part, did you find any "payment/reward" in the end?
    And probably be like "Ok, I can take it..." or just "Fuck this story, I'm out"
    Was the reward worth it to you as a reader?

Just a quick example if you don't understand :
    MC fights bad guy to save his lover. (Generic CN stuff.)
    Is all those bullshit powerups and plot armor during the fight w bad guy... worth the scene when MC finally saves his lover?​

Do share your experience. :blobpopcorn:And don't forget to put spoiler in
    Spoiler BOX :blobpeek:

And yes,I'm being general with the question, so pick your answer based on what you experience more. :blobhero:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  2. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    shura wrath supa dupa OP bullshit love love curse!
    (≧▽≦)b

oblueknighto and juniorjawz like this.
  3. isekaishousetsu

isekaishousetsu Karakuri Pierrot

Reading List:
    Link
    I really dont understand myself but I'm going to go by gut feeling.

I loved Tate Yuusha but when I reached the end I just couldn't get myself to finish it. I dont remember because it was years ago but I remember vividly the feeling that I thought "the plot got retarded."

Same with Mushoku Tensei in the robot armor arc but I finished it anyway because I was too invested. Ending was worth it for me though.

I have a lot of novels I couldn't read through though. I dont know why though, must be my personality. Like Douluo Dalu, Death March, etc

Ddraig, gary0044187, kenar and 3 others like this.
  4. Shance

Shance 『Trying to evade the wall in the front』『Failing』

Reading List:
    Link
    I erase the novels I see as that bad from my memories, hence I have no recolection of that ever happening.

Slayerwolfx2 and Igneus like this.
  5. Kokuyasou

Kokuyasou 黒夜葬

Reading List:
    Link
    Gotta love everything happening RIGHT when the MC is close enough to help, makes you think people don't have lives unless the MC is close-by:blobpeek:

Too Honest and gary0044187 like this.
  6. Noche

Noche New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, it gets me through my boredom and appreciate decent novels

7. Simple As It

Simple As It Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    the only thing left is regret, why the fuck I waste my time into it. I could probably, pick up some real girl, hang out with my friend, or do my work but heck! I waste my precious time to read those shite story. yeah ... only regret

but again, here I am, wasting my time in front of my PC while reading same shit

gary0044187 likes this.
  8. Anonymousbb

Anonymousbb Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Plot armor, ass pulls, and power ups I can handle to an extent as long as the other parts of the story are written decently, or at least the setting (and perhaps characters) are interesting. I won't rate the novel highly, but I can at least read it to kill time even if I might not recommend it to people. I guess I'd say I can suspend my disbelief over them enough to at least enjoy the novel a bit.

Novels where character interactions feel wrong, wooden, significantly unrealistic, or are just terrible in general are things that will immediately and fully kill my immersion and I can't continue reading them. I've dropped a good number of novels that started with the MC alone and seemed promising, but the instant other characters were introduced the extremely cliche/unrealistic interactions prevented me from enjoying the novel.

9. Hevveh

Hevveh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That feeling when you read 700 chapter of a cultivation novel, but can’t bring yourself to read the last 900, I just start to lose interest and grow tired when plot and development goes bad. This is why you don’t read 800+ chapter novels, unless you want to see how far the author practiced his Dao of filler.

gary0044187 and Fuyuneko like this.
  10. Ryve16

Ryve16 Working Hard and Hardly Working

Reading List:
    Link
    Once you read a lot of novels, everything will start looking like bullshit plot armor, ass pulls, bs power ups and bs character interaction. After all a story needs a plot and said plot will make us think of other novels we’ve read and say its generic, plot armor and all.

gary0044187 likes this.
  11. Beer_Kitty

Beer_Kitty Just a very very drunk kitty that likes beer

Reading List:
    Link
    Im not really bothered by plot armors and stuff. I randomly drop novels due to the story.
    Like some animes like dragonball or bleach.
    Op MC appears out of nowhere, then OP MC wins againsts his opponent then slice of life then MC got beaten by OP opponent then MC gets a power up then he fights and wins againsts OP opponent then repeat everything from MC wins and gets defeated.
    There are some good ones like OPM but theres a ton of boring repetitive ones especially on novels.

12. justmehere

justmehere Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Every fantasy novel in this world has some bullshit on it...

[​IMG]

13. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol, I conveniently forget that the Shippuden segment of Naruto even existed. Bad is just bad.

gary0044187 and juniorjawz like this.
  14. oblueknighto

oblueknighto Blue Person

Reading List:
    Link
    Yea and nah, arcs which make me wonder if it's still worth reading the novel and then arcs which redeem all the trashy filler arcs in the novel.

Sabruness likes this.
  15. DiabolicGod

DiabolicGod Well-known lazy Member

Reading List:
    Link
    you're asking with the assumption that we read all the bs instead of skimming through it (do you call it to skim? whatever, just look through it instead of reading it all)

16. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Usually, yes. Yes it is. I always feel pretty good when I finish a novel. Part of that is just from reaching the ending in and of itself, I think, but usually the endings aren't a letdown. Many of them aren't exactly perfect - they're rushed, clumsy, not as detailed I'd like, and they may even not resolve all of the novel's plot points. But they're at least "not terrible."

I've yet to read an ending where I was just utterly disappointed. Could have been better? Hell yes. But let me down?.. nah.

juniorjawz likes this.
  17. Cupcake Ninja

Cupcake Ninja [Kind Sage][Lord Benevolence][ The Great Paragon]

Reading List:
    Link
    to answer that, you first have to answer this: Did the novel, for even just a moment, alleviate your gut-wrenching boredom? If yes, then yeah, it was worth it.

Maybe the novel was shit-tier as it went on. Maybe you liked it at first but then it went downhill. Whatever the case, if it distracted you from the harsh, monotonous realities of real life...then to me, at least, it was worth it.

Ddraig likes this.
  18. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It made your boredom worth it.
    Thus all those bullshit are worth it.

Cupcake Ninja likes this.
  19. somnious

somnious Leopard Boy Li Lanfeng Bias

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel like no matter how nice the start is, if the end plot or halfway plot ends up becoming terrible, it's very difficult for me to continue reading or regarding it as good. This happened with 1/2 Prince as well as Tate no Yuusha and mars the rest of the not that bad parts of the novels.

20. Varno

Varno True Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm thinking of dropping Desolate Era now because of...just about everything you listed.
    Spoiler.
    Ning wants the most valuable fruit on an 'immortal fruit tree', so with this in mind he made an the inquiry to the caretaker.
    "Senior, which fruit is the most expensive?"
    The caretaker made a face. "Kid I knew you were smart the moment I saw you".
    Nope not smart, that was a reasonable, basic question. These fruits would be traded to more powerful experts for resources.Why wouldn't you want the most valuable type?
    But this wasn't the first or the last time; later.
    Traveling with one of those 'more powerful experts', the mc and his pal arrive at a wall described to be about forty thousand miles thick and couple million miles long.
    The material of this wall is needed by the mc, the expert wanted a trade.
    "See, what did I tell you. It maybe a little tin but.. "
    At this point I stared at my ceiling, I came to a sudden conclusion that this was my fault.
    I shouldn't have went to math classes in highschool. I should've read IET novels, he obviously knows the biggest numbers.
    What I'm getting at is, this novel has some of the stupidest shit I've ever seen.
    A hundred million year old 'god' flying around in space, killing random jerks for treasures.
    Miles mean nothing to these people but they're never on time to save anyone even and because flying one hundred times the speed of light is basic shit now.
    His entire reason for living is to revive his dead wife, he proves his familial love by leaving their daughter to grow up under the care of a maid. It should be said this mc possesses multiple bodies, 18 of them so he had no reason not to raise her.
    But it must be remembered Chinese mcs are good guys.They killed you? You deserved it! Raped your girlfriend? She wanted it! Ning being Chinese left a clone on a gift he gave his daughter without telling her so she was protected, she just never had parents.
    Anyway 3 out of 5 for eff.. Shit I ended up writing a reveiw.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
    juniorjawz likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.