Discussion Was the bullshit worth it?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by juniorjawz, Nov 22, 2017.

?

Was the bullshit worth it? (Ranked best to worst)

1. Worth it!

8 vote(s)
    9.8%
  2. Eh... so so. Good and bad.

30 vote(s)
    36.6%
  3. Nope, not really. Still reading though.

26 vote(s)
    31.7%
  4. Nope, I'm out, dropped and in the thrash. (aka completely no)

18 vote(s)
    22.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fuzor100

fuzor100 Standby mode...

Reading List:
    Link
    As long as it's interesting to me, then it's worth my time.

2. GDLiZy

GDLiZy Wise Deepsea Mermaid

Reading List:
    Link
    If done right, then it's good enough for me to keep reading it.

3. Mahou-nii-sama

Mahou-nii-sama Ultimate Cannon Fodder

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmmmmm.... I mean I read some crappy shoujo manga and it's predictable af but I still read it due to a certain character.

So, it depends on the character for me.

4. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    Generally I would say no it isn't worth it, other than as an example of things to avoid.

5. gary0044187

gary0044187 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Each type of bullshit has a limit for me. For instance OP character BS has a pretty high limit. I can let that crap go buy all day long and be fine as long as it doesn't make the story boring. However, author casually using the other characters for BS feels moves (oh noes everyone died!) has a really low bar for me. If it is used rarely in a story then I am fine, but if it is common place I am out. I actually feel insulted when that crap happens. Like, "You want me to feel bad for all those people you wrote into the story just to kill like this? F you dude. Not happening." The other one is when other people are imperiled and MC is listed as sitting and waiting, or when we get entire chapters of what other people are doing and we know MC needs to take action or everyone is dead and he does nothing, or acts impotently, or makes stupid decisions... that is the fastest way to get me to drop a story.

6. Sariel88

Sariel88 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For me it depends on the type. I usually end dropping novels if I dislike how the main character acts (mainly stupidly). The other is I don't really like when the MC can't get anywhere because the enemies are always stronger than them ( I prefer emotional angst versus depressing plot events). Basically, I don't think I can accurately identify BS, so I read what I like until it turns otherwise.

7. Slayerwolfx2

Slayerwolfx2 [Immortal Forever]

Reading List:
    Link
    My response exactly!

8. Slayerwolfx2

Reading List:
    Link
    Not entirely accurate, but you got 2/3 right. Especially the one about math classes.
    When reading DE just divide all those numbers by 1 or 10 thousand depending on the situation.

What I'm not sure about, however, is how irresponsible Ning is towards his daughter.
    “Father.” The white-robed Brightmoon was standing on the surface of the lake as well. Her life truly was relaxed and leisurely; with a peerless master of the Dao of the Sword like Ji Ning being her tutor and guide, everything was so simple. In fact, Ning even occasionally arranged for her to go out and explore the Badlands Territory. Given Ning’s current level of power, a single step was all it took for them to reach the Badlands Territory.

“Let me see if your sword-arts have improved or not,” Ning said.

“Yes, Father.” Brightmoon smiled, followed by her sword-light lighting up. A total of 3600 Immortal swords hung in the air around her. This was a terrifyingly powerful sword-formation technique which Ning had passed down to her. For some reason, Brightmoon simply had no talent for training as a Fiendgod Body Refiner, and so she was focused on being a Ki Refiner.

Whooooosh. Sword-light covered the entire world.

Ning began to spar against his daughter. He had been at the side of his daughter and his parents for hundreds of millions of years now. He had always dreamed of having Yu Wei by their side one day as well, accompanying him and watching as he taught their daughter swordplay. If that day ever came, he truly would be able to die with no regrets.
    Also, he doesn't have 18 clones.

9. Varno

Varno True Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No, I'm not saying he's irresponsible. I'm just saying for someone who loves so deeply he didn't show it to his daughter, especially after her mother died she was still very young and he basically abandoned her.
    Oh and the part about spending time with her while she is millions of years old doesn't really matter; isn't it a little late?
    If someone did what he did in real life the kid would most likely hold a grudge. This not happening in this book is just the oversight or inexperience of the author.
    Ed: I don't think we're allowed to discuss this here.

Shance and gary0044187 like this.
  10. Slayerwolfx2

Reading List:
    Link
    I know how we aren't supposed to discuss this here, but since I replied, why not add this part as well?

He had been at the side of his daughter and his parents for hundreds of millions of years now.

11. juniorjawz

juniorjawz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Itsss ok. I allow thread hijacking in my threads :blobpopcorn:
    Thats why I never use the "no hijack" tag

Varno and Slayerwolfx2 like this.
  12. Varno

Varno True Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Spoilers:
    I'll admit his relationship with his second parents was well done, he cared for them, they cared for him and it ended very sadly. Leaving a very lasting impact(maybe it was me).
    You'd think having experienced the lost of parents and crying over it (despite being mentally much older then he looked and having already experienced something similar, you know being that he already left his previous parents from earth) Ning didn't seek to dote on his daughter.
    He had two shitty childhoods and made sure his daughter got one, dead mother, check, world destroying civil war, check and her father was a participant in this war becoming such a noteworhty figure he became a very important target. Imagine the stress and confusion a kid would experience.
    But this wasn't really my gripe with this story; I just don't think the author does a good job of showing Nings affection for friends or family. He says he cares but does nothing to prove it.
    Doesn't give anything remotely useful to him to a 'loved one', has or hasn't helped his college friend free his girlfriend from the crystal prison (this is the authors fault), didn't even mention it.
    Him dedicating his dao to seeking the revival of his wife doesn't really make sense given his past behavior, plus its been a minute shouldn't he just get over it by now? Millions of years?

Slayerwolfx2 likes this.
  13. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    for me its Invisible Dragon - I don't really know on why I've finished reading it before

14. RizYun

RizYun #Kaffee4Laifu

Reading List:
    Link
    imma dunno wattudo wit such novel tho.

15. Slayerwolfx2

Reading List:
    Link
    While I agree with you on most parts, I don't agree with one thing:
    Who dictates how long a love will last?
    Now we all remember IET has a problem with math, but forgoing that, when they train they completely focus on it. They don't care about time, or it's passing...
    If we see it from another perspective, a single training session that lasts more than a million years for him might be a terrifying number for us, but he might not even think a second has passed.

Yes, you might say all I'm doing is assume, but I phycology alone suggests this as well.

Fuck, in actuality Ning is so young, he should be considered a child amongst all those other figures... he hasn't even lived a chaos circle if you remember.
    Many world cultivators are freaking older than him!

Oh, and what I was saying about psychology, I mean that:
    When you grow up in a place where killing is considered normal, aside from the few exceptions, if you see someone dying in front of you you won't panic as much as you would in a place where such a thing isn't considered normal.
    Consider the same thing with time as well (and remember, always divide the numbers provided by IET by a couple thousand or more, depending on the situation). Also, they have things to keep them from getting bored (as I would suppose boredom is the main reason one would be driven into despair by the passage of so much time)

And who said 'Nothing lasts forever'?

Varno likes this.
  16. Varno

Varno True Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Okay the love part I'll concede, probably projecting my thoughts onto someone else's characters.
    'Who said nothing last forever? '. I couldn't even find a response to that.

Slayerwolfx2 likes this.
  17. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    The last few hundred translated chapters of DKC have been making me think about this question.

When there's extended length super bullshit in a novel i read, it makes me want to bash my head against a wall. Doing that would make a better story >.>

juniorjawz likes this.
  18. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
  19. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope, Naruto wasn't worth it at all, I lost precious hours of my life reading that, I should have dropped it around chapter 500 or so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.