Webnovel.com has released Inkstone, an original content platform

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by QI_Meh, Apr 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aldnonymous

Aldnonymous Male Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's both sides fault, qidians fault and content creator fault.

"I never see that ToS"
    "I never knew we have this"

In some country this explanation may be not acceptable. In other country this explanation is acceptable for scam prevention.

It's what you call cooling down period in Japan, where you can return things you already bought mistakenly without reading the total contracts.

Slayerwolfx2 and Ai chan like this.
  2. oliver

oliver Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    yeah, except a lot of people here seem to think its qidians job to tell them everything personally, and that you all dont really understand that, no, the terms are not crazy, because qidian are not saying ''come here if you want to make money from your own web novel'' they're saying ''come here if you want to publish a novel under us'' so i dont see why the tos should be different? again, they're not forcing you to publish

3. bookwormer

bookwormer Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There's just a lot of distrust of Qidian because of the shit they've done for the past year. I'm sure they would of tried to pass this off like it's nothing if people hadn't dug out the terms though, just saying.

arceus likes this.
  4. oliver

oliver Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    no, it is not qidians obligation to explain their tos to someone, if we're talking about a contract, then its your lawyers job to tell you how the shit works, and this is not even a contract, it says right there in very plain letters what it does, if anyone does not read that, still publishes, and still expect to get paid, its on them. and saying ''but i didnt read the contract'' is a very, very flimsy defense, and i'd like to see you try that in any kind of court anywhere. this is not buying something, its signing a contract.

5. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    I assumed that the discussion was whether it's worthwhile to publish there, rather than if they are making a trap for us. Is this evil? No. Do I think it's a good idea to use this? Also no.

TheIndeed and oliver like this.
  6. Yukkuri Oniisan

Yukkuri Oniisan 『Procrastinator Archwizard Translator and Writer』

Reading List:
    Link
    I think I'll watch some IP Law lectures in Youtube and some IP Law book...
    the wording in the ToS honestly confused me, since their law meaning might be different from their semantic meaning.

TheIndeed likes this.
  7. Digix

Digix Owl-sama Follower

Reading List:
    Link
    your ToS gives you full paid rights that is perpetual that means your company can do whatever they want with it.

8. oliver

oliver Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    yeah, which is their job. again, its not their job to write on the front page ''this will make you nothing while giving us everything'' people just think it is because they dont know how real life works

9. Aurega

Aurega Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    These terms are beyond horrible. You're basically giving away your rights to your work completely (you still retain the copyright to it, but QI can publish and make money without giving you anything), and allowing them to distribute it on any medium, even in ones that aren't invented yet. It's non-exclusive, so you can still publish it yourself through other mediums but then you need to compete with QI if they are also publishing it.

10. Asf

Asf 《《The aria of souls》》

Reading List:
    Link
    So if someone blindly post their stuff at qidian and the next week you have qidian publishing your own novel in a hard copy form and sells em, qidian gets away with it because they already said so in their TOS?
    Thats legid.

readerz and Digix like this.
  11. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    The point of legal vernacular is to be as accurate and concise as possible. Each word means literally what it says.

TheIndeed likes this.
  12. oliver

oliver Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    exactly. qidian have the higher standing in a relationship like this, so ofc they're gonna make a contract screwing you over, they wont lose anything if you dont publish, and if you still do its just your own stupidity

13. Aldnonymous

Aldnonymous Male Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Either you are so used to your country laws, or you are so blind on an actual international contractual law with working consumer protection laws and working intellectual property laws.

14. rotweissewaffel

rotweissewaffel Adept Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    For anyone curious that's from RRLs ToS:

"SECTION 19 – COPYRIGHT PROTECTION

Anything you write is automatically copyrighted by you, but that does not mean it would be registered in your country copyright office.

You may use http://www.copyrighted.com/ or other avilable resources for such.

Note that once posted at RoyalRoadL, your content would be marked as your own, with a date on the post that verifies when the content was published, we would also save your content in our database with any edit you make, to back any third party investigation with accurate information and avoid erroneous copyright claims."

Quiet diffrent, isn't it?

15. Aurega

Aurega Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A court is likely to rule in Qi's favor on this because of the terms you agreed to by posting it.

16. oliver

oliver Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    again, saying ''i did not read the contract'' does just not work, because if it did every single contract would be meaningless.....

17. Aldnonymous

Aldnonymous Male Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Here's a thing, I demand you to sign this contracts, I only left my demand as clause there, now the other part of the clause which states my obligation are left in other pages in my house.

If you sign that contract, would that still be legal?

18. oliver

oliver Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    again, not forced. if you blindly publish anywhere its completely your own fault if you get screwed

19. Digix

Digix Owl-sama Follower

Reading List:
    Link
  20. oliver

oliver Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    except that is not how this is. the tos is not hidden, you just have to actually bother reading it, and if you dont, its ON YOU.

Slayerwolfx2 and Nino Sasou like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.