Discussion Webnovel deleting low score reviews

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by hawlol, May 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karyehs

Karyehs Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I had a 2.5 star review for Mech Touch that was online for about 8-10 months, I received notifications for upvotes and people commenting that they agree with me daily. (so when I went online there, I had like 20+ notifications for it)

A few days ago the review was deleted.

I didn't insult the author or anything, even praised some aspects while trying to give constructive critic... if it was offensive in any way it would have been deleted long ago, since it had like 400 upvotes or something like that.

So it's not always the case that the review is offensive.

2. Zones

Zones Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's what I believe they call "premium" novel. QI gives benefits for signing the contract.

What you are mentioning is probably the time span between you writing that review and the author signing the contract.

3. hawlol

hawlol Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Freedom of Speech is a USA thing? Are you right in the head? Damn...

4. Zones

Zones Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In the US your freedom of speech can only be violated by the US government.

5. SAimNE

SAimNE Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's nothing new and trying to get people to boycott the site is wasted. Very few of us care at all. They just bow down and let the giant corporation known as tencent buttfuck yet another industry into disgusting immoral cashgrab behavior. I mean if we ever actually cared enough to stop paying this kind of person it'd be fixed. No way to do business with no sales. But yeah we're just stuck with them. Because people either don't care or are stupid enough to think "one less customer won't make a difference." Or "I'm not giving them enough to matter, I mean I only give them ad revenue" and so on.

6. Beste

Beste Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Tbh I can't even trust Amazon reviews, whether it is positive or negative. I am always skeptical about them.

Webnovels reviews feel like people chatting with each other instead of actual reviews lol. They might as well make it into chatroom.

runsing likes this.
  7. ajhearne

ajhearne Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    sorry to distract but does anyone know what happened to the novel "Nano Machine" it was getting good when suddenly it stopped being translated and was then just removed not an original so it's pretty wierd

8. Guyver

Guyver Bio-Booster Armor

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol it is not just the Chinese, Disney did the same things with Captain Marvel on Rotten Tomatoes and Youtube lol :rolleyes:

Last edited: May 5, 2019
  9. hawlol

hawlol Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I disagree. If me +1 already decided to boycott after realising this I'd already consider it a success.

10. Guyver

Guyver Bio-Booster Armor

Reading List:
    Link
    And the reviews on WebNovel are a waste of time anyway since it is a exp task there are too many waste of space reviews to wade through.

11. Raidou99

Raidou99 [The Forgotten]

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not a matter of qi censoring good or bad reviews. It's about them censoring the reviews in the first place.
    Doesn't matter if the review is good or bad. Doesn't matter if the reviewer has read the novel or not. It's about the opinion of the person. That's it.

I don't see nu censoring bad reviews...

hawlol likes this.
  12. Bright_Lucky_Star

Bright_Lucky_Star [Previously Known as OrdinaryUser] The Blessed One

Reading List:
    Link
  13. SAimNE

SAimNE Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Point is the extra +1. I have, and will continue to, advocate that even using a pirating site is better for the world than funding qidian-tencent. There should be no way the community should ever even consider approving of their actions, which is what you do when you use their site/app btw, you use your voice as a consumer to support them, and say you support what they do... And yet here we are. I rarely ever see a new face among people against using the qidian site. Hell more than half the people here criticising it probably use it on a daily basis.

I haven't given up on advocating against qidian, I've given up on people of this generation giving enough of a damn to deal with a minor inconvenience to rid ourselves of them.

Last edited: May 6, 2019
    hawlol likes this.
  14. Kuro_0ni

Kuro_0ni Cocooned in a Life transition

Reading List:
    Link
    Seems like simple business tactics. I mean with any media industry. Look at Yelp, Steam, Amazon, Moviecritic, RottenTomatoes, etc. since reviews are like a lifeblood for a product, it would make sense to always maintain positivity for something your promoting.

kenar, runsing and GDLiZy like this.
  15. Dyne

Dyne Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Except in this case review is one of their product.

Most of the product in Amazon is not provided by them, so if there is a bad review about a product they should (mostly) let it be.

They want customer to feel secure choosing item in their site and review is one thing that Amazon can use for that purpose.

16. Raneday

Raneday Not Rane

Reading List:
    Link
    another drama thread?

*sets out a stall, selling hotdogs, burgers, popcorns, sodas and many more*

Bright_Lucky_Star likes this.
  17. serguis

serguis Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    *Buy a hotdog then start screaming while eating*

Freedom of speech doesn't exist on websites such as these (meaning, it depend on the owner/admins/etc). The website is private or at least has a owner who isn't public service so as long as the content doesn't break some laws, it's allowed.

One of the really weird thing isn't that they delete such comment but that they don't delete reviews such as :
    "Love this novel. Very SciFi. emotesmiley emotesmiley emotesmiley emotesmiley emotesmiley emotesmiley emotesmiley emotesmiley emotesmiley emotesmiley emotesmiley ...."

Or other reviews with just emotes, good or bad.

Also Webnovel has since ... well quite some time now, become a trap. They clearly use theirs so called "free" content to bring people then tell them that to obtain more you will need to pay. Of course, not with patreon or other where you need $ but rather hidden behind theses stones. (Exactely like .... surprise mobile games :D )

18. Cloudseeker

Cloudseeker Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I thought something was funny on that site(n)
    I posted my novel The Red Lands on there and had good views with the reviews trickling in. That was to be expected since I had my work on RRL for quite some time. Imagine my surprise when novels just began popping up with reviews. I give up!:cry:
    I honestly don't know if there is like voter padding on that site...;)

19. PyS

PyS New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I just wanted to support this complaint and add one data point to the statistic. My review for 2.5 stars in 'Dual Cultivation' was removed sometime in the last 4 hours.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.