Webnovel now selling Public Domain eBooks

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by checkm8, Aug 15, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. checkm8

checkm8 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I noticed in the Webnovel Android App last night that they now have an eBooks section. Within that section were hundreds of novels that are in the Public Domain. Think of authors like H.G. Wells(The Invisible Man), Jules Verne, Upton Sinclair, and Edgar Rice Burroughs(Tarzan).

The term “public domain” refers to creative materials that are not protected by intellectual property laws such as copyright, trademark, or patent laws. The public owns these works, not an individual author or artist. Anyone can use a public domain work without obtaining permission, but no one can ever own it. More Info: https://fairuse.stanford.edu/overview/public-domain/welcome/

Since anyone can use these there has been a big push to digitize many of these works into eBooks so that people can freely read these novels. Project Gutenberg is probably the best-known digitizer of these works. More Info: https://www.gutenberg.org/

Now we come to Webnovel's eBook section where they are selling these free novels:
    Each Public Domain novel can be purchased for 999 Spirit Stones. Or for those who prefer a dollar value: $15.97. Each!

Honestly, whenever I think they can't do something shadier, they find a method to surprise me.

Gin_Hindew, flannan, Daemon and 27 others like this.
  2. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, if you go into any bookstore, or even Amazon, those books still aren’t free. But I agree that $16 is a ridiculous price.

TiggerBane, Nyarlathotep and Astaroth like this.
  3. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    So are they selling tarzan and others now?

4. vancenick

vancenick Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    99 cents on kindle last I checked for most

Toralk, Novela and Astaroth like this.
  5. lordbeirut

lordbeirut Emperor of Perdition

Reading List:
    Link
    ...Even though they are public domain, these books are still sold no? Just looked at amazon and a paperback copy of the Invisible Man is running for about 5 quid and hardcover at about 9 quid. Ebook, on the other hand, is at 0.49 lol

TiggerBane and Astaroth like this.
  6. Robbini

Robbini Logical? Illogical? Random? Or Just Unique?

Reading List:
    Link
    What, you actually expected them to fully either scan or copy those works page by page into their database and then offer them to their readers for free? Why would they even do it then , other than to maybe attract readers?

To be fair, there are sites that sell other ebooks as well, although i've never heard (nor really investigated) them selling public domain books.

And well, the price is probably supposed to give the illusion of being cheaper, and they might not agree on any number between 100 and 1000 looking neat enough, but hell no with them going for 99 instead, as that's far too cheap.

Diametric and Astaroth like this.
  7. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean it's obvious that if you get it as a physical copy it would have to cost something, like who in the world would ever print books and just give them away as much as anyone wanted?

The ebooks could be free, since there wouldn't be any abuse case, but still I presume that it's the 'service' that's being paid for rather than the books per se. Like the hosting and turning them into ebooks obviously cost something, even if it's not much.

8. RoseColouredSin

RoseColouredSin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Clearly Webnovel isn’t trying to turn a profit by offering good service, but rather trying to earn money by the volume of overpriced books they offer/sell =_=

Physical copies of public domain books are still sold nowadays but printing books probably costs more than making ebooks :/

Gin_Hindew and Nyarlathotep like this.
  9. IndelibleWords

IndelibleWords Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's one's choice to buy.
    These books can be downloaded for free easily by anyone with interest from countless sites.
    But maybe someone likes organising and reading books on Webnovel. If they have the money, it's up to them.
    It's like the Bible. It's a public book but a best seller around the world.

TiggerBane likes this.
  10. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, well pretty sure none of that will go to those that own the rights or towards charity related to writing and for that price you'd want a physical copy, one that doesn't reek of MTL.

Nyarlathotep likes this.
  11. Nyanko

Nyanko Psychotic Cat Princess

Reading List:
    Link
    Penguin have been doing that since the forties and has made a good profit out of it...

12. Green Apple

Green Apple Actually I'm secretly an orange.

Reading List:
    Link
    I can understand paperbacks being sold for some money, but digital copies of something that should be free? nah man.

elengee likes this.
  13. quiabo

quiabo Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, but i also know that every "Derivative" work is protected by is own copyright.
    Take Lovecraft as example, it should be free for everyone (Ebook = No production cost , Physical Copy = Production cost), you can download for free on Apple Bookstore but if i want to read it in my first language or modern english (yes, this option exists in some language or older book) i must buy it, because the translation is , usually, not free.

Free Book can produce Free Translation.
    Paid Book rarely produce Free Translation.

(English not first language and its late here)

Edit 01: Some rewrite and clarification.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    Astaroth likes this.
  14. Alski

Alski <Insert other title here> Level 25

Reading List:
    Link
    The greatest work of fiction has had most of its books handed out for free, and its been going on for hundreds of years.

15. Green Apple

Green Apple Actually I'm secretly an orange.

Reading List:
    Link
    I think you can often find free translations of such books

16. lordbeirut

lordbeirut Emperor of Perdition

Reading List:
    Link
    I see what you did there.

17. checkm8

checkm8 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually, most of those ebooks are free on Amazon. And all of them are free from the Project Guttenberg website.

Tarzan of the Apes by Edgar Rice Burroughs eBook $0.00
    https://www.amazon.com/Tarzan-Apes-Edgar-Rice-Burroughs-ebook/dp/B0083ZR3E0/ref=sr_1_15?crid=2NQBQH5W93POI&keywords=edgar+rice+burroughs&qid=1565906243&s=gateway&sprefix=Edgar+rice,aps,258&sr=8-15

From the few novels I spot-checked they were all available for free from the Amazon website.

readerz and Astaroth like this.
  18. Astaroth

Astaroth empty

Reading List:
    Link
    the bible? or what...

19. vancenick

vancenick Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ebooks are cheap you just need to initial investment of paying someone to either scan or copy the book should not cost more than a few grand at most

20. ReadOrDie

ReadOrDie already dead

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, copy pasting is hard work. They need to pay their sweatshop workers something no¿

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.