WEBNOVEL PRIVILEGE

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by KizunaAi, Jul 10, 2019.

?

Do you think webnovel is getting greddier ??

1. Yes

92.1%
  2. No

7.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheDefend

TheDefend Public Dental Support

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not slowing down pirates. It's to suck as much money they can from whales. These bands of pirate has united to donates chapters at this point so others can read it for free

Frankly the pricing system is designed almost similarly to mobile games. Continous purchase

2. Rule71

Rule71 .....

Reading List:
    Link
    ......... Fuck they reduced the normal chapter rate....., I read doctor ling ran (don't judge ...) it used to release 2 chapters daily now today only 1 is currently released ....

3. yserieh

yserieh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Pretty much this. It's so clear they're whale hunting. It's kind of sad, because I'm an editor for someone there. I want her to make money, her story is amazing. But I follow a few other stories, 3 of which would update 2 chapters per night... suddenly stopped updating to push this new "Advance chapter" mimic what translators do on Patreon.

But the thing this:
    1. We already have to pay if we're consuming multiple stories because of the free stones really don't keep up with if you read more then 1 story regularly.
    2. The mark up is 1000% most of the time. 500 stones for 5 chapters, when most chapters are normally 9-15 stones.
    3. They purposely stop updating regularly at the normal price to push the whale price.
    4. Related to 1-3, but but if you're already paying to read- why do you need to suddenly charge more? The key difference with the patron model and Webnovel is most Patreon translators actually give the initial chapters for free or eventually the chapters become free as they translate more chapters. Kitty Jiu is a great example of this, I will be open that I'm a $10 Patron of hers. But she staggers her chapters through her tiers to free on chapters she has released. This is way different then Webnovel where once you hit a certain amount of chapters- all of the future chapters will behind a pay wall via stones.
    5. Some of them may have 'borrowed' of preexisting translation of work to cut corners, because you often see a shift of translation style.

4. TheDefend

Reading List:
    Link
    4. Everything is free if you search hard enough
    5. Wish its possible to send dmca to the publisher for copyright infringement

5. Silverasterisk

Silverasterisk [Wallflower] [Drive by poster]

Reading List:
    Link
    Welcome to china.

You can. just not in china. They don't care.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2019
  6. TheDefend

Reading List:
    Link
    4 or 5?

7. Silverasterisk

Reading List:
    Link
    5 the only copyright they respect is their own.

8. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Stop with that obvious lie.
    Apple overcharges all the time.
    It's just business.
    I don't see any need to worry.
    With a strong enough backlash they will see reason

9. yserieh

yserieh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm hoping they realize price gouging is not the way to go with most of the market being on the "younger" side and casual. The big difference between Apple VS Webnovel are the targeted audience demographics. This is why Mac/Apple have a smaller (compared to others in their market space), more dedicated consumer base then say... Samsung or PC computers. Apple is also actively working with cellphone companies to pay the upfront costs of their phones and allowing payments to be made by the consumers. Cellphones are also necessity compared to say... web novels. A lot of homes don't even have land lines anymore, preferring cellphones. Even homeless consider a cellphone an absolute must!

The internet and novels in general are in a strange place with the collapse of publishers in the US since they fall under the leisure category. I don't disdain what Webnovel is doing, I like paying for goods I enjoy to ensure said goods continue to be made, but they need to realize gouging only hurts the market long term for something that is "fun" or a "hobby". With the collapse of several US/Canadian publishers, there has been a strange dip in the flux of international titles coming over. I like that the Web novel/digital market for novels, mangas, etc, are thriving. I think and hope some of the more excellent translators can get paid to for their work to find a living and have the rights of the author be respected. And for the original authors to expand their readership internationally, along with making money from it (if their behind a paywall in the country of origin or from ads).

I think both authors and translators need to profit and I think gouging only makes it seem like an excuse for pirates/aggregators to make justify stealing. Not to mention, it can cause a dip and if investors see a poor turn around with poor performance, they tend to move on and pull out. A lot of novel companies were doing this when manga was doing well in the print world. But soon as there was a massive dip of book store sales because of Amazon, a lot of the novels that were coming over along with the manga/manhwa were abandoned.

I'm still broken hearted that only 4 of the Jūni Kokuki made it to the US. WTB the last 5 books please.

jheno13 and Jutenija like this.
  10. Silverasterisk

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah. Dreams. I had those once.

11. Darkcrow.

Darkcrow. Foul Tarnished

Reading List:
    Link
    i think they have to earn something to keep their company running.
    atleast they have some quality translators.

12. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Still a dumb idea, they ran out of their cash reserves I feel.
    They need a new strategy.
    But I find it laughable when people say it is happening because it is a Chinese company
    With things like Loot boxes America,Japanese and European companies have been doing the same for years

13. Darkcrow.

Darkcrow. Foul Tarnished

Reading List:
    Link
    Like EA GAMES
    They don't care about coustamers
    At least webnovel gives you free gems for daily logins and other tasks .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.