Webnovel Subliminal Propaganda?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by dweenator, Jan 15, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dweenator

dweenator Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Are there really definitive CCP propaganda in Er Gen and IET's new works?

I don't know about Er Gen's new work as it is vastly different from his previous ones but for IET, his works has always been almost the same in setting where there are demon invasions as I've read almost all of IET's works.

Anyways, checked out the NU page for IET's new work, the first review mentions about CCP propaganda but with what I know, I am highly skeptical.

Is there some truth to it? or are people just putting labels onto the new works? especially because the pandemic has been the political awakening of a lot of people. I mean, if CD released this year, would people also put reviews about CCP propaganda?

I would like the opinion of those who have read both novels.

P.S. I haven't read both novels yet as I am hesitant therefore this post.

EDIT: added a word in bolded font, have to make things clearer before anybody else misunderstands.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  2. phucanhcr02

phucanhcr02 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Everything with world federation is Chinese propaganda.

3. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Does it having propoganda really bother you as a reader tho? I have read quite a few propaganda novels, and they always put holes in themselves.

Look at every modern CN series. They are filled with corruption, nepotism, sexism... You name it. They are the worst things in any society. If that is CCP propaganda, then good luck with the lackies.

strayCat0, Blitz and runsing like this.
  4. pandaqueen

pandaqueen Immature Dork

Reading List:
    Link
    Eh... read it with open mind and just stop if you feel there is a propaganda..

All I can say is...if you start reading while thinking that there is something, you will find something.

Kinda like how shadows could scare you into believing that they are ghosts just cause you were thinking bout possibilities of ghosts (right after a horror movie), but they are perfectly innocent, harmless and so negligible you don’t even notice em on normal days.

runsing and Gate like this.
  5. Gate

Gate Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Technically you have mild Japanese propaganda in light novels too. Like “OMG this sushi is sooo good. Japanese cuisine is Sekai Ichi!!” or “We must teach these people about Japanese culture!!!” and mysteriously everyone gets hooked into it.

strayCat0 likes this.
  6. Kutaifa

Kutaifa Pokémon trainer

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know about subliminal. But the old "middle kingdom" perspective is certainly in play. In that i mean the perception that China is the centre of the world, and that beyond it lies a foreign and non-Chinese place.

Couple that with mainland Chinese people not being THAT familiar with westerners, nor with others of different nations, what kicks in is the "write what you know" - and that is in this case China and its peoples, cultures and its customs.

Though the works published are of course screened by authors so as to avoid being slapped around by the CCP, i don't think its propaganda.

What you read is effected by the environment it is emplaced, and is written by an author brought up and affected by a tangible system of do's and don’ts.

Edit: And anti-japanese propaganda is just baked into the educational system and is strengthened by Chinas remembrance culture. - Just wrote a lengthy paper on this

nyamachi, Alvastar, Aldis and 2 others like this.
  7. Oddwaffle

Oddwaffle Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Almost every author will want to inject some of his political ideas into the mix. The Chinese is a little more forced. You either praise the party and dictatorship and bash democracy or you don't.

Of course this gives itself a lot of contractions as a lot of cases, the MC wants democracy when he is weak but wants dictatorship when he is strong and try to convince the reader he is right all the time.

English writers aren't that far off though but they have more freedom. I have got authors who is convinced that democracy is the best but his MC would be running around like a dictator. I also get authors who think gun crazy president is the way to go and all democrats are crazy puffed up sissies.

8. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    The moral of the thread is, nobody read new novels of the authors in question but everybody wanna give their two cents about the topic lol

runsing likes this.
  9. dweenator

Reading List:
    Link
    It does matter to me at least if said novel has definitive political propaganda because I do not want to incentivize such actions.

There are levels to this stuff, some things are tolerable while others are not. I have read a lot of novels from JPN, CN, and KR authors and I have learned to stay away from anything modern because those almost always ends up with serious level bullshits.

A fair point hence why I asked here because as I said in my post, this could just be people labelling things due to the current political climate.

I've long since accepted the fact that the authors are only human and are thus limited by their purview so I don't really mind the things that are pardonable.

With that being said, there are things that I cannot overlook such as, as you pointed out, the Japanese hate thing from both CN and KR authors, which is understandable given the history but that doesn't mean I want to partake in it.

10. M4rcosR3is

M4rcosR3is Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    lol man, this is the real world and we all know what Chinese government is and what is not so it really surprises you when you read one or two propagandas in their literature, As more open than standard? because yeah, some may even argue that web novel is not literature or some other thing (i'm not one those) but is still literature anyway and "propaganda" always gona be reflected on it somehow.

or you think that captain "america" is called like that just for comedic/dramatic effect for example, looking at the Westerner side, comic's and HQ have been a field fest of America and "freedom" propaganda since it start, hell it pretty much started because of it and now we are getting "other" types of "propagandas" in it as well too like lgbt+, female empowerment etc and there is nothing wrong with it too, they are doing it, they have the right to do what they want with it.

So yeah: all those themes is happening and showing in your book's because is there, is a thing in the entire world because is the real world and art's is a reflect of it be it in Chinese media, american media, japanese media and everything else.

i'm surprised by when i see someone ranting on novels because of it, it just does not make sense is like they lived in a someform of bubble their entire lives and lives in a majestic world where there is no racism,crimes,hate,government propagandas in their life? there is nothing outside of his firm and "locked" view of the world? and any and everything different is "wrong?" and thus must be ranted about? or worse.

so i don't understand why they rant a work because of it: be it for "propaganda" since everyone does, every country does is how our world moves around and thank god there other things as well in the story besides all that i wrote here, the usual "good things" that is and should be the reason of why we like and follow a work but people allows themselves for one small part of it to complete destroy their enjoyment and still rant like is the biggest monster of the world because the novel have it is just stupid act , sorry i don't want to offend but this is my stance on it since I can understand when they don't like and thus drop the novel as is not your favorite theme or simple not your taste.
    i'm not talking about those people in this post but the people who rant because they find that those things is strange to be having in their novels, like is something forbidden to exist and he never heard about it in their lives and it "does" not belong in his or her world.

And if i could give OP a personal advice, i would really recommend you to read what you hate; like you mentioned ch-korean-jp racism-hate, chinese propaganda, because you can not and will never know everything without knowing both sides, yeah i admit that reading a novel and getting info about those complex, i will write twice: COMPLEX subjects may not be really good place but at least is a place to start, later you can and will always seek more and understand more and in the end see the work as it is: is just story a fantasy chinese story or japenese story in this case and it does not reflect your true views of the world because to be true you are not incentive anything, you are reading it, you are seeing it and may very well disagree with it in the end and do the opposite of all that, reading it does not mean you partake in it even more since most of the time all of us are reading pirated work that not even paid anything for it.

11. Fluffy Jellyfish

Fluffy Jellyfish 『Number 1 Lolicon under Heaven』

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, IET's latest work Archean Eon Art main plot is Human World vs Invader with some of human world upper echelons are described as wise and united to block the invaders

You can take this info with prejudice or just enjoy it as a novel without any scheming or nausetious elders

12. dweenator

Reading List:
    Link
    *sigh* You seriously misunderstood me and my post. I simply am legitimately asking a legitimate question, nothing more, nothing less.

13. dweenator

Reading List:
    Link
    So basically just the same IET work. I suspected this, from the review I read, it sounded a lot like the previous works of IET.

IET isn't really a top notch author but from my experience, he always delivers.

14. Fluffy Jellyfish

Fluffy Jellyfish 『Number 1 Lolicon under Heaven』

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah if you didnt really care about what author might be insinuate, AEA is a decent read

You got the usual righteous and hard-working MC, coupled with a main plot about unity between humans. It is kinda nice to see that not everyone will scheme against you just because you are "MC"

15. Teadragon

Teadragon Book Wyrm

Reading List:
    Link
    So just out of curiosity what are the two novels in question? I know someone said one was Archean Eon Art but what is the other? (I really don’t pay much attention to the writing order of novels...)

16. dweenator

Reading List:
    Link
    Er Gen's A World Worth Protecting and IET's Archean Eon Art.

Teadragon likes this.
  17. nonononononono

nonononononono NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

Reading List:
    Link
    noice, you need other people to tell you if it is propaganda instead of forming your own conclusion. (y)

18. dweenator

Reading List:
    Link
    noice, you found the need to butt in without actually contributing anything.

Also with that kind of mindset, why even bother scouring the forums?

19. M4rcosR3is

M4rcosR3is Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i think that you may be the one who misunderstand my post:
    you clear named your thread: webnovel subliminal propaganda, them you wrote why you thought about it and what came to be the reason why you made a thread, even giving multiples reflections on the subject.
    thus i wrote about the subject as whole: if webnovel have subliminal msg: yes,it does: because everyone does it, is normal.
    maybe i wrote everything to direct and thus you thought it was everything direct at you , but is not!! is for everyone to discuss about the theme, after all this is not 1 on 1 talk but a public thread created on the "novel general" section that everyone can and will probably see and was not even "tagged" as "QUESTION" alone , so i thought you are initiating a discussion about the subject than simple a question so when i write like that it means that is for EVERYONE who is reading my reply not only you but of course you are in it too as well and thus i also answered the question: if you missed it again: yes is normal and is it does have.

them i wrote a personal answer to you direct: as i said: personal advice after reading your follow up answer to other users and members.
    that is: read anyway, go beyond it and understand it because is not a reason to drop it but to understand it better and maybe seek more later on about the entire subject and form your critical thinking about what is chinese propaganda or not because again: everything have a little of "government" propaganda in it or any other type of propaganda, since as i said before art's reflects real life!!!

but i do see the irony of writing about forming critical thinking in a forum about fantasy novel world but if you and other "follow nuf's" allows me a few more minutes of your time i would like to write more on why i wrote what i wrote before and try to explain more about the entire subject about being "propaganda" or not because i still do assume that this thread is about to discuss that subject instead of simple question but if is just for a question just don't open the spoiler tag: ,
    i will use one of the novels you asked about as example about the entire subject of propaganda and subliminar msg: let's take the prime example of IET's Archean Eon Art.;

yeah we do have a more or less propaganda in it, yes? but is really propaganda????? or better yet is CCP propaganda? once we look at the setting?like people ranted about?
    the background of the story:

• they are being invaded by monsters that the sole plan is to slavery the entire human race so it's people can get the heritage left by the previous founder who was super OP by their standards(that btw did the same to all surrounding planes when he was at the top too, :) ) and if slavery is not enough, they discovered in previous invasion that they also taste really good thus gave them a extra reason to do it because the demon-world realm is very barren!!..
    • human unites world wide under 3 sect's that was fighting a war between each other and killing each other until that "moment" and start schools to teach how to fight because they are at less numbers and power vs the monsters ;
    • human elders-super elder's at the time start a military based social order in the entire world to fight against the "monsters" and at the top controlled by the Eon sect with other 2 sect's that stand in the top of the world but they don't really show up outside of "talks" because they are on different zones of the world and each one fight to defend their own portal!!
    • after generations of being secluded to small-medium-large defense/forts cities where they use as living place and at the same time as last line of defense against the invasion; the entire military-training culture went deep in the bones of the population as whole and they do take pride into it and the word/banner of the big 3 sect's that is always the first in battle and first to die as well, is more like a no official "motto" of them after all is a do or die situation, or better yet: do or become FOOD situation.

yeah, looks a lot like a ccp could very well be those "3 sects" and it's government but also is just some generic invasion setting, that we see in multiples histories in the entire WORLD be it books; movies; or anything else!! but people still ranted as being PROPAGANDA!, and thus they rant-complai

SO what people gonna expect to have? no one to take in charge of world wide affairs in setting like that so that we would not have any " background propaganda" in it ? no one would do and die for the greater god? everyone in power should have been licking their asses and only caring about himself until everyone else becomes food and you can not even survive anymore?so once we have all of this being taken care of: by having the stronger fighting for the weak; people sacrificing himself for others; for the bigger picture and society? in the end turn in a chinese propaganda? well, it may very well be, at least for some people but if you think like that they should very well believes that just by having a America writer would also be America propaganda in the end.

the reality is that even if we could call the entire Archeon Eon sect a CCP propaganda it could very well be America propaganda, Chinese,Japanese,Brazilian-Uk, any propaganda you may like with a "background" like that and thus we got the guy ranting as chinese propaganda, where in reality is pretty generic in a sense and hard to be called "propaganda" as well because is something that the setting needs anyway in the end, someone to be in charge because they are not fighting children's, they are fighting a army of monsters who have far more numbers;strength;power and military MIGHT.

20. dweenator

Reading List:
    Link
    I had to write something for the title, I couldn't just ask a question and have that as my title, on second thought, maybe I could and should have. As for the "Question" tag, this is my first forum creation post in a long time so I forgot and I also couldn't post this anywhere else since I'm asking about two novels in particular and the topic in and of itself can also apply to novels in general, hence why I posted in Novel General. Regardless of all of that, the content of my post is very clear as to what my purpose and intention are so I thought that was enough.

I apologize if I misunderstood you as the way you phrased it, it sounded like it was directed to me personally, that's why I was taken aback as I wasn't ranting, not even close.

To address the issue again, I don't really care about the biases authors have as everyone is limited to their own purview so that wasn't really my concern. My concern is, if there are definitive CCP propaganda in said novels as the reviews suggested hence why I asked on the forums for those that have read both novels so I could make an informed judgment

runsing likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.